9 months ago

Middleton Visitor Guide - 2018

Travel Guide


HISTORY DISCOVER THE MIDDLETON STORY It all began in 1832 when a settlement formed at what is now Mendota County Park & Campground. In 1856, Middleton was officially platted, and the village officially became a city in 1963. Today, the city retains its beautiful historic charm in important historic sites and buildings, many of which are still businesses that are open for you to visit. Start your historical journey at the Visitor Center, located in the historic Museum at the Depot. Take a self-guided tour to learn about the history of Middleton and see why it's stronger here. 1847 AT THE STAMM HOUSE 6625 Century Avenue • See map: E11 Restaurant in the historic Stamm House, Middleton’s first official inn. AMERICAN HOTEL 1904 Parmenter Street • See map: G8 Former site of the American Hotel, built between 1867 and 1870. The hotel’s restaurants attracted diners from Madison. BLACKSMITH SHOP 2645 Branch Street • See map: E11 Dates to the 1850s. Served travelers who came to the Stamm House. CLUB TAVERN 1915 Branch Street • See map: G11 608.836.3773 • Built between 1860 and 1880 as the boarding house and stables for Stamm House. Club Tavern opened in 1921 and remained open through Prohibition. H.G. WOLF HOUSE 7426 Elmwood Avenue • See map: G9 Built in 1868. Saved from the 1900 fire by putting carpets on the roof and soaking them with water using a bucket brigade. LITTLE WHITE CHURCH ON THE HILL 1720 Aurora Street • See map: G8 Former Union Church, built in 1870 for $1,800 to serve German Methodists and Baptists. Later became an American Legion meeting hall. MIDDLETON HISTORICAL MUSEUM (A.K.A. ROWLEY HOUSE) 7410 Hubbard Avenue • See map: G8 608.836.7614 • See exhibits, artifacts and photographs and learn about the men and women who built Middleton. MUSEUM AT THE DEPOT 1811 Parmenter Street • See map: G8 800.688.5694 Built in 1856, this depot is on the National Register of Historic Places and serves as the Middleton Visitor Center and home of the Middleton Tourism Commission. OPERA HOUSE 1827 Parmenter Street • See map: G8 Built in 1855 and included a hotel, saloon and second-floor opera house, which hosted medicine shows, masquerades, holiday dances, political rallies and graduations. PALMER HOUSE 6707 Century Avenue • See map: E10 Area’s first home, which was built in 1847. The structure you see today was built in 1858. PHEASANT BRANCH SCHOOL 6710 Century Avenue • See map: E10 Built in 1896 at a cost of $828. Acquired by the Veterans of Foreign Wars in 1954. WHITTLESEY HOUSE 6517 Elmwood Avenue • See map: G11 Built between 1853 and 1855. Was home to T.T. Whittlesey, a member of Congress and probate judge. (University Avenue was once Whittlesey Street). WIENBERG BUILDING 1828 Parmenter Street • See map: G8 Site of Middleton’s first post office. Today houses popular restaurant Villa Dolce. Open to the public Walking tour available it's stronger here. 23

City of Marinette 2018 Visitor Guide
EvergreenHealth Visitor Guide - Evergreen Hospital
TRAVEL GUIDE - Long Island Convention and Visitor's Bureau
2018 Clarksville Tennessee Visitors Guide
TRAVEL GUIDE - Long Island Convention and Visitor's Bureau
14 west view middleton, near pickering guide price ... - Cundalls
Kindergarten curriculum guide - Middleton Cross Plains Area School ...
TraVel GUiDe for fUN iN THe TWiN ciTieS - Bloomington ...
Fourth grade curriculum guide - Middleton Cross Plains Area School ...
Second grade curriculum guide - Middleton Cross Plains Area ...
Explore_Pasadena_Arc.. - Pasadena Convention & Visitors Bureau