8 months ago

2018/2019 Super Camping

The print guide is designed to assist you in finding a place to stay, whether camping, RVing or driving on your vacation in British Columbia. It features information on private campgrounds, RV Parks and lodging establishments that are members of the BC Lodging and Campgrounds Association; National Parks campgrounds; RV dealers who o er services and supplies; RV rental companies, and a section on Attractions to help you enrich your vacation experience.


Super Camping / Select Lodging - Travel Tips TRAVEL TIPS BORDER CROSSINGS/CANADA CUSTOMS The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) is responsible for border access, services and security. The Canada Border Services Agency website details many answers to questions frequently asked by travellers. The Canadian Food Inspection Agency handles the rules concerning the temporary importing of pets such as dogs. For expected wait times crossing Canada/United States land borders visit When you enter Canada, a customs officer will ask to see your national passport and a valid visa, if one is necessary. Everyone from every country arriving in Canada by Air, Land or Sea needs a valid passport, or equivalent travel documents. Customs officer’s at all Canadian entry points are authorized to interview persons seeking entry to Canada to determine admissibility. Their goal is to facilitate the entry of legitimate travellers as quickly as possible. As a visitor, you can bring certain goods into Canada for your own use as “personal baggage.” Personal baggage includes clothing, camping and sports equipment, cameras, tape recorders and personal computers. This also includes travelling in vehicles, vessels and aircrafts. First and foremost, as required by law, all goods must be declared at the time of your initial contact with Customs. Customs does conduct import/export examinations. For the most part, these are routine in nature, and serve to verify declarations. Visitors to British Columbia are entitled to bring in a reasonable number of personal effects. Visitors aged 19 years or over may import up to 50 cigars, 200 cigarettes, 200g (7 oz.) of tobacco, 1.14 L (40 oz.) of spirits or 1.5 L (53 imperial oz.) of wine or 8.5 L (288 oz.) of beer or ale for personal consumption. Currency and monetary instruments equal to or greater than CAN $10,000 must be reported to Canadian Customs. All revolvers, pistols, fully automatic firearms and other weapons, and self-defence sprays such as pepper spray and mace are prohibited entry into Canada. All firearms (i.e. hunting rifles, shotguns) and personal protection devices (i.e. stun guns, mace, pepper spray) must be declared. For more information on customs regulations call the Canada Border Services Agency at 1-800-461-9999 within Canada and 204-983- 3500 outside Canada or visit TEMPORARY IMPORTATION OF VEHICLES AND PRIVATE BOATS During your stay in Canada, as a visitor or a temporary resident (not seasonal resident), you can temporarily import passenger and recreational vehicles, such as snowmobiles, boats and trailers, as well as outboard motors, for your personal use. DRIVER LICENSES A valid out-of-province driver’s license, including an international driver’s license, can be used in British Columbia for up to six months. SEAT BELTS British Columbia law requires that all drivers and passengers use seat belts while driving or riding in a motor vehicle. Strict car/booster regulations are in place for children up to the age of twelve years old, and they must be seated in the rear seats in an age/weight appropriate restraint system. For more details, visit HELMETS Helmets are required by all bicyclists and motorcyclists. MOBILE CELL PHONES It is against the law to drive while using a handheld mobile phone or other electronic device. Drivers may use hands-free cell phones that are voice activated, or activated by one touch, provided they are securely attached to the vehicle or driver’s body i.e. an ear piece. For more information, visit content/transportation/driving-and-cycling. DRIVING WHILE AFFECTED BY DRUGS OR ALCOHOL It is a criminal offence to operate, or be in the care or control of a vehicle, whether in motion or not, with a blood alcohol content of more than .08 percent. Police in B.C. can issue an immediate roadside prohibition to an impaired driver with a blood-alcohol content of .05 or higher. Drivers with blood alcohol content between .05 and .08 may also face fines and license suspensions, and have their vehicles impounded. Breath samples may be requested by a peace officer and refusing a breathalyzer test could also result in criminal charges. For drug sobriety testing and implications please visit transportation/driving-and-cycling/road-safetyrules-and-consequences/drug-alcohol. VEHICLE ACCIDENTS If you are involved in an accident, immediately contact the local police or Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP), then your insurance company. ROAD CONDITIONS For information on road conditions 24-hours a day check the Drive BC website at The website includes links to various other information sources such as Inland Ferry Schedules, BC Ferries Waits, Border Crossing Times and Major Incidents and Road Closures. TOWING AN RV OF LESS THAN 4,600 KG Most recreational trailers weigh less than 4,600 kg (10,100 pounds) when fully loaded, and thus may be driven by a driver with a passenger car driver’s license (Class 5 or 7 in British Columbia). An air brake endorsement is required if either the truck or trailer has air brakes. For more details, visit aspx TOWING AN RV MORE THAN 4,600 KG For RV trailers weighing more than 4,600 kg (10,100 pounds) and neither the recreational trailer nor your truck has air brakes, you need: • Class 1, 2 or 3 driver’s license, or • Class 4 or 5 driver’s license with a heavy trailer endorsement (code 20), or • Class 4 or 5 driver’s license with a house trailer endorsement (code 07). If you want to tow an RV that weighs more than 4,600 kg and either the recreational trailer or your truck has air brakes, you need a Class 1 driver’s license with an air brake endorsement. For more information check the Insurance Corporation of BC (ICBC) website at aspx TRAILER WEIGHT CALCULATION Please note that the weight of the trailer is measured when fully loaded and the best way to determine this is to visit a truck weigh scale. Some RV owners assume the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) marked on their trailer is its actual weight. It isn’t. The actual GVWR weight is the vehicle including its load. Operating an overloaded vehicle is dangerous - and illegal. SEWAGE DISPOSAL Sani-stations are found at various locations throughout the province, including campgrounds, some gas stations and RV dealerships. For a list of places to dump go to Visitors are asked to respect the environment by disposing of grey water and sewage in the proper fashion. Campgrounds, RV Dealers & Rentals offering sani-station facilities to their customers can be identified in Super Camping by looking for the sani-station symbol in their listings b. FERRIES BC Ferries serves almost 50 ports along the British Columbia coastline. For information on ferry schedules, rates and vehicle reservations call BC Ferries toll free at 1-888- 223-3779 from within British Columbia or 4

250-386-3431 from out of province or visit Inland ferries, operated by the Ministry of Transportation, cross lakes and rivers around the province. These ferries are all free of charge. For inland ferry schedules visit http:// passenger-travel/water-travel/inland-ferries. GOODS AND SERVICES TAX (GST) The federal GST of 5% is applicable to most purchased goods and services. GST is charged on campsite and room rentals. The rates printed in the guide are net of GST unless stated, so are subject to the 5% GST for both camping and lodging. PROVINCIAL SALES TAX (PST) An 8% Provincial Sales Tax is charged by hotels, motels, cottages, inns, resorts and other roofed accommodations on all overnight room rentals. PST is not charged on campsite rentals as they are an exempt supply. The Provincial Sales Tax for other retail goods and services is 7%. in extreme dry weather. For information before you travel, visit content/safety/wildfire-status. Please note that propane firepits and propane cooking devices can be used during a campfire ban. FOREST FIRES If you spot a forest fire while travelling in British Columbia, call the BC Forest Service toll free at 1-800-663-5555, or *5555 on your cell phone. For more information, go to wildfire-status. FISHING Separate licenses are required for saltwater and freshwater fishing. The Federal Department of Fisheries and Oceans issue saltwater licenses; the provincial Ministry of Environment issues freshwater licenses. Both types of licenses can be purchased at some sporting goods stores and other retailers, as well as most Service BC offices. Anglers are encouraged to buy their licenses online at for freshwater or, index-eng.cfm for saltwater. RVers Love IDaHO! Super Camping / Select Lodging - Travel Tips MUNICIPAL AND REGIONAL DISTRICT TAX (MRDT) As well in British Columbia a Municipal and Regional District Tax of up to 2% and in some cases 3% is charged in provincially approved municipalities by hotels, motels, cottages, inns, resorts and other roofed accommodations. This levy is used to fund local Destination Marketing Organizations. Some 50 municipalities are approved to collect this 2% or 3% tax. The additional 2% or 3% MRDT is only charged on short-term room rentals and does not apply to overnight campsite rentals. EMERGENCY 911 In emergency situations, contact the local police, ambulance service, fire department and other emergency services by calling 911. Visitors taking prescribed medications should bring a copy of their prescriptions in case they need to be renewed or tended to by a doctor in Canada. TOURIST ALERT The Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) is frequently asked to communicate urgent messages to people on vacation. If you see your name listed in newspapers, at information centres or hear it on the radio or TV, please contact the numbers given. CAMPFIRES AND CAMPFIRE BANS The smoke from campfires pollutes our environment; please limit your use of campfires to cooking and warmth. It is recommended to only use purchased wood from the campground or lodging property and observe local burning regulations. Do not leave a campfire unattended. Please do not move firewood from one location to another as it can spread pests and disease. Occasionally campfire bans are implemented A specific license is required in National Parks and can be purchased at the Park Headquarters at each Park Canada site. For more information on fishing go to a site run by the Freshwater Fisheries Society of BC. 2018 BC PUBLIC HOLIDAYS Banks, government offices and some stores will be closed on the following days or on the subsequent Monday if the holiday falls on a weekend: New Years Day January 1 BC Family Day February 12 Good Friday March 30 Easter Monday April 2 Victoria Day May 21 Canada Day July 1 BC Day August 6 Labour Day September 3 Thanksgiving October 8 Remembrance Day November 11 Christmas Day December 25 Boxing Day December 26 2019 BC PUBLIC HOLIDAYS New Years Day January 1 BC Family Day February 18 Good Friday April 19 Easter Monday April 22 Victoria Day May 20 Canada Day July 1 BC Day August 5 Labour Day September 2 Thanksgiving October 14 Remembrance Day November 11 Christmas Day December 25 Boxing Day December 26 Please visit for more travel resource information. ESCAPE the crowds & high prices. ENJOY great camping, stunning scenery & amazing wildlife. EXPERIENCE world-class outdoor recreation & friendly, helpful people. FREE! Idaho RV Campground Directory 5