Views
7 months ago

Disley Guide 2017

Disley Guide 2017

The experienced and

The experienced and talented brothers at Mr Chong Chinese Restaurant are among the most qualified in the industry and look forward to welcoming you soon. Opening Hours : Tues-Sat: 5-11pm, Sunday: 4-10pm. Closed Mondays (Open Bank Holiday) 50-54 Market Street, Disley, Cheshire SK12 2DT www.mrchongchineserestaurant.co.uk The friendly and welcoming boutique is bursting with items that are a little different. We are continually on the look out for new brands and styles. At Pretty Fox, we offer brands that are not only stylish but are affordable, our contemporary jewellery is handmade by UK based artists and our accessories provide something a little different enhancing any outfit. Market St. Disley SK12 2AA Tel: 01663 765529 www.prettyfox.co.uk 10

History of Disley The date of the first people to settle in Disley is not known, although it is likely that Jacksons Edge and Buxton Old Road formed part of the road built by the Romans to link Manchester to Buxton. The earliest evidence of a settlement in Disley comes from the name ‘Dystelegh’ thought to be the combination of a personal name and that of an early English word meaning a ‘clearing’, possibly in a wooded area. The first settlers are believed to have been close to Disley Hall in Higher Disley. Little is known about the village until the early part of the 16th century, although it formed part of the extensive Macclesfield Forest. In addition there were several farmsteads in the Disley area; one was at Disley Stanley, where Disley Golf Club is now situated. The cruckframed barn from this farm, erected in either the 15th or early 16th centuries, is still in existence today. In 1524, Sir Piers Legh of Lyme Hall built and endowed a small Chantry chapel in the village after the death of his wife. The chapel, later to become St Mary’s Church, was consecrated in 1524, thus providing the village with its own place of worship. As the population grew in the late 18th and early 19th centuries, the original building proved to be too small so extensive rebuilding took place in the 1820s and 1830s. Most of the original structure was destroyed with only the tower remaining from the original building. Around 1640, the facilities of the village were enhanced with the construction of the Ram’s Head Inn, which was to become an important coaching inn on the road between Manchester and Buxton. The present building dates from 1840, when it was not only a coaching inn, but also a place where visitors could stay to sample the delights of the Peak District. With the arrival of the railway in 11

Livestock Philippines 2017 Buyer's Guide
Sanilac Guide 2017
Aquaculture Philippines 2017 Buyer's Guide
Billericay Fireworks 2017 Event Guide
IMAGE Show Preview Guide Dallas 2017
Atlanta 2017 Build Expo Show Preview Guide
Houston 2017 Build Expo Show Preview Guide
bbbcycling-product-guide-2017-english-international
Austin 2017 Build Expo Show Preview Guide
IMAGE Expo Show Guide Dallas 2017
IMAGE Expo Show Guide Houston 2017
SUNY Orange Academic Program Guide 2017-2018
South Bay Visitors Guide 2017
Newham Adult Course Guide 2017
Calendar & Program guide 2017-2018
LCRAC Guide Session I & II, 2017
Whistler Writers Festival 2017 Program Guide
Academic Program Guide 2016-2017
Alzheimer's Australia Vic | Dementia Learning Guide 2017
Salida Travel Guide 2017
International Product Guide 2017
January 2017 Palm Beach Real Estate Guide
IMAGE Show Preview Guide Houston 2017
Fancy Tiger Crafts 2017 Holiday Gift Guide
Whistler Writers Festival 2017 Program Guide