2018 Railroad Festival

ztmauldin

all aboard!

Crailroad

ENTRAL

Festival

2012

April 28 • 10 a.m.-5 p.m.

Sponsored by the Central Area

Business Council and the

Clemson Area Chamber of Commerce.

Supported by the Town of Central,

the Central Railway Model

and Historical Association

and the Central Railway Museum.

A special section of the Pickens County Courier

Photo courtesy of Greenville News


Page 2 Pickens County Courier • 2018 Central Railroad Festival Saturday, April 28, 2018

Sponsors

Conductor

Town of Central

Southern Wesleyan University

GII Solutions

Engineer

Issaqueena Pediatric Dentistry

of Clemson

The Ridge Clemson

Fireman

Xpress Lube of Central

Brakeman

Central Heritage Society

Founders Federal Credit Union

MST Concrete

Duckett-Robinson Funeral Home

Rail Fan

First Citizen Bank of Central

Heirlooms and Comforts

Woodforest Bank

Monaghan Real Estate Company

Anne Sheriff

Representative Gary Clary

Grant Rental Station

Central Fire Department

Joe’s Body Shop

Reynold’s Complete Lawn Service

In-Kind Support

CATbus

View Digital Media

Easley Combined Electric

Cannon Memorial Baptist Church

Clemson Area Chamber

of Commerce

Greater Clemson Music Festival

Grants

Pickens County A-Tax

Walmart

Welcome to the 10th annual Central

Railroad Festival! We’re glad

to have you and your family with

us and hope that you will have a

wonderful, fun-filled day. If you’ve been to

the Railroad Festival before, we appreciate

your continued attendance and support. If

this is your first time with us, you’ve got a lot

to see, do & enjoy: great food, craft vendors,

and a wide variety of free entertainment and

attractions. Best of all, WE HAVE TRAINS!

This insert is your guide to everything

you and your family need for an unforgettable

day of fun. We’ve included maps, schedules

and information about the day’s exciting

activities. You’ll also see details about our

sponsors, who have once again helped us

present this festival free of change.

The festival begins at 10 a.m. and runs

until 5 p.m., featuring Main Stage entertainment,

food, music and more than 25 arts and

crafts vendors offering a variety of handmade

items. The kids are in for loads of fun

with award-winning clogging on the Kids

Stage, inflatables, tractor train rides, games,

a balloon artist, make & take crafts, model

trains, martial arts demonstrations, the Buffalo

Barfield Show and much more!

This year we’re proud to present

Main Stage live music by Jack

Roper & The Weathermen, who

will play from 3 p.m. until 5 p.m. Stay

and enjoy The Flying Saucers from

5:15 p.m to 7:30 p.m., as part of the

Greater Clemson Music Festival.

The town of Central was named

as a result of its historic link to the

railroad. Located at the exact half-way

point on the main line between Charlotte

and Atlanta, Central was the name given

to this booming 1873 railroad town. As the

railroad company invested in Central’s maintenance

activities, the town grew and prospered.

When the railroad company eventually

moved away, the textile industry moved in

and the railroad remained an important factor

in the town’s development. To this day, the

railroad still runs through the heart of downtown.

With a variety of restaurants, shops,

businesses, and the unique Railway Museum,

the town of Central has plenty of reasons to

celebrate and toot its own horn.

The annual “Keep it Movin’” 5K run

kicks off Saturday morning before the

festival begins. “Keep it Movin’” benefits

Central Elementary School’s Walk-Run program,

which encourages students to walk or

run daily on the school track, before classes

begin. Last school year, more than 250 students

were actively involved in the program.

The race will start at 9:00 a.m. For details

about the 5K Race, contact Amy Bodie at

amybodie@pickens.k12.sc.us, or call (864)

397-1400.

TRAINS, TRAINS, TRAINS! Model

trains, toy trains, real caboose tours, train

craft activities — so much to enjoy; courtesy

of the Central Railway Museum and the

Central Railway Model and Historical Association.

If you want a break from the crowds,

take the free Clemson Area Transit shuttle

bus to Collins Ole Town, a 1920’s era village

recreation. The shuttles run about every

fifteen minutes, so you can tour Collins Ole

Town and then catch the next shuttle back

to the festival. Collins Ole Town, the Central

History Museum and the Central Railway

Museum will all be open for tours free of

charge during the festival.

If you need directions, information, or

medical assistance, please stop by the information

tent and EMS station near the railroad

crossing at Bank Street. From all of

us on the Festival Committee, the Clemson

Area Chamber of Commerce, the Town of

Central, the Central Area Business Council

and the Central Railway Model and Historical

Association, THANK YOU for joining

us. We hope you have a delightful time and

make plans to join us every year on the

fourth Saturday in April. ALL ABOARD!

Vicky S. Chappell 864.639.2487

100 Church Street | Central, SC 29630


Saturday, April 28, 2018 2018 Central Railroad Festival • Pickens County Courier Page 3

Roller

Mill

If you’ve never been...

Madden Bridge Rd.

Ball Field

Gaines St.

Collins

Old Towne

Watkins St.

Bank St.

Main Street

Stewart St.

Town

Hall

Freedom

Center

Central Heritage

Museum

Werner St.

Mt. Zion

Methodist

Church

Church St.

Cannon Memorial

Baptist Church

Pepper St.

Clayton St.

First Citizens

Bank

Watkins St.

Roller

Mill

Bank St.

Madden Bridge Rd.

Main Street

Ball Field

Gaines St.

Wesleyan Dr.

Collins

Old Towne

Freedom’s

Hill Church

Stewart St.

C E N T R A L

New Life

R A I LROAD

Church

Town

Hall

ENTRAL

I LROAD

STIVAL

FESTIVAL

CAT BUS SHUTTLE & PARKING MAP | Saturday, April 28, 2018

Central Heritage

Museum

Werner St.

Free Public Parking

Mt. Food, Zion Art & Craft

Methodist Vendor Parking *

Church

Central Railroad Festival Free Public Inflatables Parking Provided Handicapped By Parking . . .

Food, Art & Craft

Vendor Parking *

First Citizens

Bank

Volunteer Parking

EMS/Police

A vision for the world,

Church St.

Information

& Volunteer Tent

Cannon Memorial

Baptist Church

Handicapped Parking

Pepper St.

Information

& Volunteer Tent

EMS/Police

CAT BUS SHUTTLE & PARKING MAP | Saturday, April 26 2014

A home for your family

Pastor Darren Rood

120 Pepper Street | Central, SC 29630

(864) 639-2631

Clayton St.

Heritage Tour

CATbus Stops

Freedom’s

Free Festival ShuttleHill Church

Wesleyan Dr.

Church Parking Lot

Railroad

Road

Blockade

Heritage Tour

Railroad

CAT Bus Stops

Heirlooms & Comforts

Road

South Carolina’s Oldest Quilt Shop

Free Festival Shuttle

Blockade

bobbyb@heirloomsandcomforts.net

Central Roller Mills

We Church feature Parking Lot the latest *Parking with quilting pass onlyfabrics, books, patterns, notions

and tools for making great quilts and fabric items.

Authorized Husqvarna Viking Sewing Machine Dealer

Offering expert service and instruction.

H&C@heirloomsandcomforts.net

We will be open for first-floor tours and

selling Issaqueena logo T-shirts and coffee.

104 Madden Bridge Road • Central, SC 29630

Come join us for conversation while relaxing

in a rocking chair on the large porch.

300 Madden Bridge Road, Central


Page 4 Pickens County Courier • 2018 Central Railroad Festival Saturday, April 28, 2018

Central Area Business

Council Members

Joey Martin (Chair)

Bobby Ballentine

Karahn Washington

Tish Goode

Ed Welch

Holly Brown

Phillip Mishoe

Anne Sheriff

Keith Moody

Vicky Chappell

Vince Jackson

Marcia Smith

Al Cumbie

Fletcher Anderson

Brandon Thomas

Jennifer Crenshaw

Kurt Edsall

Leah Smith

Railroad Festival

Committee Members

Ed Welch

Bobby Ballentine

Pastor Daren Rood

Phillip Mishoe

Mark Bolden

Dan Marett, Jr.

Noreene Billado

Anne Jenkins

David Lane, (Chair)

Variety of entertainment planned

for 2018 Central Railroad Festival

An exciting line-up of entertainment

for all ages is on tap this

year for the Central Railroad Festival.

We will again be featuring entertainment

on two stages for the

entire festival. Two of the headliners

for the main state are Thermonuclear

Rodeo, featuring local

talent Tony Tidwell, and Jennifer

Gorre and the Young Appalachian

Musicians’ “Sweet Potato Pie.” The

headliner for the Kids Stage is Buffalo

Barfield with his famous “Jug

Band Jam” which features kids performing

on stage with Buffalo. For

one of his performances he will

be joined by his wife Michelle and

old pal P. Doodle Possum. He will

have three performances during

the festival.

Joining the other performers

on the main stage will be the Daniel

Jazz band.

As in previous years, the Railroad

Festival will partner with the

Clemson Music Festival. At 3 p.m.,

we will transition to the Music

Festival with Jack Roper and the

Weatherman Band. Then at 5:15

p.m., The Flying Saucers will return

featuring rockabilly and oldies

music. This part of the festival will

conclude around 7:30 p.m.

BUFFALO BARFIELD AND P. DOODLE POSSUM

On the Kids Stage, addition

performers will be Sherwood

Drive, the award-winning Hot

Foot Cloggers and a karate demonstration

by Kuk Sool Won of

Clemson.

Please refer to the entertainment

schedule for the times of all

of the performances.

Buffalo Barfield

The Barfields present interactive

concerts featuring Old Time

Appalachian & Jug Band instruments

like the washboard, spoons,

kazoo, jug and the washtub bass!

Gregg “Buffalo” Barfield is joined

on stage by his wife, vocalist and

rub-board player, Michele, to present

the “Jug Band Jam & Washboard

Workshop.”

Together, they are a living link

to our historical past! By engaging

young and old, they reconnect us

with our heritage through song and

dance, music and laughter!

Buffalo Barfield has been a

regular featured artist at the nation-

See VARIETY, Page 6

A special THANK YOU to the following for providing

extra services for the Central Railroad Festival.

New Life Church, Cannon Memorial Baptist Church, Southern Wesleyan University,

Collins Ole Town, Monaghan Real Estate, Town of Central, Central Heritage Society,

Central Railway Museum, CATbus, Central Roller Mill, Central Railway Model

and Historical Association. Clemson Chamber of Commerce, Central Area Business

Council, Easley Combined Utilities, Amy Bodie and Central Elementral School’s Keep

it Movin’ 5K.

JACK ROPER AND THE WEATHERMAN BAND

2018 Central Railroad Festival

Entertainment Schedule

Main Stage

9:45 a.m. Daniel Jazz Band

10 a.m. Opening Ceremony and 5K Awards

10:10 a.m. Daniel Jazz Band

11:35 a.m. Sweet Potato Pie

12:55 p.m. Thermonuclear Rodeo (Tony Tidwell, Jennifer Gorre & Band)

3 p.m. Jack Roper and the Weatherman Band

Clemson Music Festival

5:15 p.m. Flying Saucers

Kids Area Stage

10:10 a.m. Sherwood Drive

10:40 a.m. Buffalo Barfield “Jug Band Jam”

Kids perform on stage with Buffalo!!

11:45 a.m. Hot Foot Cloggers

12:25 p.m. Karate demonstration

12:50 p.m. Buffalo Barfield & P. Doodle Possum’s

interactive kids’ music show

1:30 p.m. Hot Foot Cloggers

2:15 p.m. Karate demonstration

2:45 p.m. Hot Foot Cloggers

3:30 p.m. Buffalo Barfield “Jug Band Jam”

Kids perform on stage with Buffalo!!

Kids Activities

Tractor Train Rides

Inflatables

Balloon Artist

Face Painting

Make and Take Projects

Red Caboose Tours

CATbus Tours

Fire Truck Tours

Central History

Railway Museum

Self-guided Walking Tours

Map at Info Booth

Heritage Tours – CATbus

Collins Ole Towne 10 a.m.-3 p.m.

Central Heritage Museum 10 a.m.-3 p.m.

Items for Sale

at information booth

Combo: hat, whistle and bandana...$5


Saturday, April 28, 2018 2018 Central Railroad Festival • Pickens County Courier Page 5

2018 Central Railroad Festival vendors

Crafts

1 — Palmetto Custom Metal

2 — Southern Soap Shop

3 — Tablerock Technologies

4 — EW Designs

5 — Rainbow of Pelzer

6 — Custom Silks

7 — Memory Pens

8 — Jean Kopczyk

9 — Earth’s Elements

10 — Mom in Motion

11 — League of Women Voters -

Clemson

12 — Roy Jolley

13 — The Ridge Clemson

14 — Sew Creative

15 — Leaf Filter of North Carolina

16 — Safe Kids Upstate

17 — Balloon Artists

18 — Kids Crafts - Cannon Baptist

Church

19 — Train Cut-out - Photo station

20 — Pendleton Elks

21 — Face Painter

22 — Glenco Fireplaces

23 — Lula Roe

24 — Perfectly Posh

25 — House of B & W Designs

26 — Aiken Hollow Designs

27 — Bath Fitter

28 — Buffy Medlin

29 — LB Creations

30 — Le Beau Carolina

31 — MP Creations

32 — Central History Museum

33 — Crafts Needles & Threads

34 — Advantage Chiropractic

35 — Creative Images

36 — Mill Pine Soaps

37 — Central-Clemson Recreation

Center

38 — Glass Beads & Gemstone

Jewelry

39 — Peach Blossom Creations

40 — Clemson Sertoma Club

41 — Clemson Lions Club

Food

F1 — Low Country Kettle Corn

F2 — Wainani Shaved Ice - New

Seasons

F3 — Sweet Barrels

F4 — Drive-Thru Peanuts

F5 — LL’s Lil Orbits

F6 — Electric City Dogs

F7 — Mt Moriah FBH Church

F8 — The Pound Cake Man

F9 — Grandma’s Ice Cream

F10 — Cooking Christians


Page 6 Pickens County Courier • 2018 Central Railroad Festival Saturday, April 28, 2018

VARIETY

From Page 4

ally acclaimed “Merlefest” music festival on

the “ Little Pickers,” stage for the past seven

years!

The Barfields have presented washboard

workshops and performed family concerts,

as part of the Smithsonian Institute’s “New

Harmonies Tour” in South Carolina!

Buffalo Barfield is a naturally gifted, multitalented

musician whose gifts include being a

performer, an entertainer, an instrumentalist, a

songwriter, recording artist and a teacher.

Because of his focus in “Traditional

American” music and folk instruments, he

strives to learn first hand from everyday

people who live or have lived in his native

Appalachian region.

Jack Roper and the

Weatherman Band

Jack Roper and the Weatherman Band

features a wide variety of music, such as classic

rock and roll, rhythm and blues and beach.

The band includes Jack Roper on drums

and sax. A Union County, S.C., native, Jack

has been with WSPA-TV for 31 years, formerly

forecasting the weather and now

co-hosting the “Your Carolina” show each

morning at 10 a.m. Performing magic shows

and playing music are two of Jack’s loves.

All members of the band are Union

County natives, including Ronnie Hayes,

who plays lead guitar and sings. Andre

Kerr plays keyboard and is the lead singer.

The bass player and backup singer is Pickle

Eaves. All of these guys have toured with

Percy Sledge and Billy Joe Royal.

Sherwood

Drive

Tara Rogers and

Tyler Monroe make

up Sherwood Drive, a

duo based in Upstate

sherwood drive

S.C. They have been singing together for a

year. Their style is country music, and original

songs are written by Tyler. They recently

won the Anderson Wild Wing Voice off.

See VARIETY, Page 8

Introducing The Ridge —

the newest student apartments

in Clemson. Located right near

Clemson University, our amazing

community was designed for

students with outstanding amenities

and student-friendly lease terms.

Contact Us:

(864) 643-2055

205 Tiliwa Court

Central, SC 29630

Leasing@TheRidgeClemson.com

www.TheRidgeClemson.com

Amenities

At The Ridge, we have

everything you need just

steps from your front door!

Our amazing community will

make your student apartment

feel more like living at a

resort with a lazy river, sand

volleyball, a Jumbotron TV,

and more. Looking for peace

and quiet? Check out the

business center or one of our

private study lounges. The

options are endless when

you live at The Ridge!

• Free High-Speed Wi-Fi

Internet & Cable TV

• 24-Hour Modern Fitness Club

• Pet Friendly with an Off-

Leash Dog Park

• Online Payments

• Monitored Property Access

• Complimentary Print Center

• 24-Hour Study Lounges

• In-Unit Full Size Washer/Dryer

• Oversized Attached Garage

or Dedicated Parking

• Personal In-Unit Storage

Convenient For Bikes & More

• Valet Trash Service

• On-Site Professional

Management Team

• 24-Hour Maintenance


Saturday, April 28, 2018 2018 Central Railroad Festival • Pickens County Courier Page 7

LEADERS MARKED BY

SERVICE AND GENEROSITY

We believe we need leaders in every profession who are competent and

confident visionaries. We also believe leaders should be known for selfless

service, humble influence and contagious generosity. At Southern

Wesleyan University, we are developing these future leaders.

On Campus | Online | swu.edu


Page 8 Pickens County Courier • 2018 Central Railroad Festival Saturday, April 28, 2018

VARIETY

From Page 6

HotFoot Cloggers

HOT FOOT CLOGGERS

HotFoot Studio is located on Main

Street in Six Mile, South Carolina. The studio

offers instruction in traditional Appalachian

as well as contemporary clogging.

The HotFoot competition teams compete

in the American Clogging Hall of

Fame, Cadence, and National Clogging

and Hoedown Council Sanctions. They

have garnered both national and World

titles in Maggie Valley, North Carolina, the

birthplace of clogging. They have also performed

in Nashville, Tennessee, where they

won national awards.

The directors are Sharon and Cullen

Finley and Lauren Ann Brady. All are members

of the Hall of Fame’s All American

Team. Cullen has also been named to the

Team of the Decade and he has performed

with the theater production “The Hank

Williams Story.” Lauren Ann is a Mars Hill

College alumna, and while there she danced

with the prestigious Bailey Mt. Cloggers — a

competitive college team that travels internationally.

Sharon was presented the Betsy

Farlow Memorial, which recognizes a dance

instructor who teaches and preserves traditional

Appalachian dance. Sharon and her

husband, Ben, are also certified dance competition

judges.

Daniel Jazz Band

The D.W. Daniel Band program is well

known as one of the best comprehensive

band programs in South Carolina. Not only

does the Daniel Band have a growing and

proud tradition of marching band, but it has

exceptional Jazz and Symphonic Ensembles

See VARIETY, Page 9

Central Railroad Festival Stage Provided By . . .

110 Peachtree Street

Easley, SC 29641

(864) 859-4013


Saturday, April 28, 2018 2018 Central Railroad Festival • Pickens County Courier Page 9

VARIETY

THERMONUCLEAR RODEO

From Page 6

that consistently score superior ratings in

performance. The Daniel High School Band

program was the winner of the prestigious

2014 Outstanding Performance Award from

the S.C. Band Directors Association.

Thermonuclear Rodeo

Nestled in the foothills of the Blue Ridge

Mountains is the tiny town of Six Mile, South

Carolina. Main Street is the only street — a

street not encumbered by big city aggravations

like stop lights and rush hour traffic. It’s

the sort of place you pass through on your

way to somewhere else — the sort of place

you must attach another place to in order to

give someone a general idea where Six Mile is.

But if you quiet your mind and listen to

the breeze sliding down hills and over creeks,

gently caressing pastures and pine trees, carrying

secrets from forgotten grave yards and

whispered prayers of nocturnal desperation,

you will hear a melody as ancient as the land

itself. How else can one explain the reason

such a sleepy town has produced two of the

Upstate’s most talented singer/songwriters?

Jennifer Goree and Tony Tidwell have

individually been writing and performing their

songs for the past 25 years. Their paths have

crossed numerous times over those years, and

they have formed a true bond of

admiration and friendship that

goes beyond the shared rural

community in which they first

felt music stir their souls. As solo

performers, Goree and Tidwell

have earned the respect of audiences

and fellow musicians from

all over the world, and when they

combine their talent something

amazing happens.

Maybe it’s the setting of

their formative years or the fact

that they both heard the melody rustling in

tree tops outside of Six Mile, but their musical

chemistry is undeniable. Thermonuclear Rodeo

is the result of their creative union. Goree

and Tidwell along with their band of gifted

musicians (Will Chandler, Kristin Miesbauer,

Dominic Mastroianni and Larry Williams)

fuse the soul of southern lineage with the

soil of Celtic mystery to create a sonic atmosphere

they first noticed whistling in the wind

as it passed through a place called Six Mile.

The Flying Saucers

The Flying Saucers come to Central from

North Carolina and are a Rockabilly and Oldies

band performing hits from the golden years

of Rock and Roll (50’s and early 60’s). The

band’s set list includes songs from artists such

as; The Beatles, Elvis, Johnny Cash, Carl Perkins,

Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Roy Orbison

and many more. Musical styles include early

Rock-n-Roll, Country, Doo-Wop, Shag, Surf,

Motown, and even a few vintage TV theme

songs (think Batman and The Munsters). Fun

stuff for the entire family, plus the added attraction

that these guys are very talented.

Female vocalist Brookley was a semifinalist

on American Idol and has a remarkable

singing voice blending with the rest of

the band. Be sure and come out to see and

hear the Flying Saucers perform live on Main

Street around 5 p.m. following the Railroad

Festival.

THE FLYING SAUCERS

IT’S COMING APRIL 20

THROUGH

APRIL 28

FRi.

april

20

2018

SUN.

april

22.18

TUES.

april

24

2018

THURS.

april

26.18

fri.

april

27

2018

SAT.

april

28

2018

Read The Journal for more details

SATURDAY EVENING MAIN EVENT

2018

or visit www.clemsonmusicfest.org

MUSIC ON THE GREEN IN PENDLETON • 7 PM

featuring HOT AS A PEPPER BAND

FREE to the Public // Hosted by Town of Pendleton

TWO GREAT CONCERTS!

+ 10AM

sat.

april

21

2018

MON.

april

23

2018

wed.

april

25.18

sat.

april

28

2018

MUSIC AT CATBUS HQ • FREE • 4 PM

CARL NEAL DUO

AND

CATBUS PLANTATION TOURS

KEOWEE and HOPEWELL

9:30AM • $10pp

Visit clemsonmusicfest.org for more details.

SIX MILE MUSIC FESTIVAL featuring

BUFFALO

BARFIELD

6 PM

AND

GYPSY SALLIES

JAZZ

CLEMSON UNIVERSITY JAZZ PLAYERS

TUESDAY

7:30 PM Cox Hall in Pendleton

& RENDITION JAZZ BAND

CATBUS PLANTATION TOURS

ASHTABULA and WOODBURN • 9:30AM

JAZZ ON THE ALLEY • 6:30 PM

featuring

J-E-T PLUS

HAGOOD MILL MUSIC EVENT

THE CAROUSERS

THE RESONANT ROGUES

+ 7PM WANDA JOHNSON

THE WOBBLERS

PLUS

6 PM • GOSPEL: FEATURING

THE UNITED HOUSE OF

PRAYER BAND

ERIC SCOTT

BAND

7 PM

at Garrison Arena

Free Event!


Donations for

Burger Plate

THE SWINGIN’ MEDALLIONS

CLEMSON SERTOMA CLUB BENEFIT • 7-9:30 PM

$25/PERSON • $45/COUPLES

Souvenir T-shirts on Sale — $15

Benefits Camp Sertoma for Disadvantaged Children

Purchase tickets online at www.clemsonmusicfest.org

For Complete Concert Schedule: www.clemsonmusicfest.org

$10

per

person

FREE!

Visit

clemsonmusicfest.org

for more details.

at Clemson Area African-

American Museum

CENTRAL RAILROAD FESTIVAL & MUSIC FESTIVAL EVENT

MAIN STREET 3 PM JACK ROPER & THE WEATHERMEN

STREET 5 PM 5 PM

THE FLYING SAUCERS

Meals on Wheels

Fundraiser

Liberty, SC • $20pp

www.pcmow.org

African-American

Folktales Eloise Earle

FREE! • 6:00 PM

Clemson Area African-American Museum

FREE!

230191_ClemsonMusicFest_HalfVert_AprScut.indd 1

3/26/18 3:49 PM


Page 10 Pickens County Courier • 2018 Central Railroad Festival Saturday, April 28, 2018

Kuk Sool Won of Clemson

Kuk Sool Won of Clemson, a traditional Korean

martial arts school located in the Food Lion shopping

plaza, will perform demonstrations at 12:25 p.m. and

2:15 p.m. Saturday at the Kids Stage. Kuk Sool Won

teaches discipline, focus, and character development

through a tradition system comprised of kicking/

punching, forms, self defense techniques, weapons,

Saturday, sparring, and April more! 23, Ongoing 2011 classes are offered for

2011 Central Railroad Festival • Pickens County Courier Page 11

ages 4 and up for all skill levels. Contact Toran or

Sarah today! Call: 864-653-0570 email: info@kswclemson.com

website: www.kswclemson Social: Instagram,

Facebook, Twitter @kswclemson.

TOUR

From Page 10

ness there for ten years until 1977. In the

middle decades of the 20th Century the

building was home to various businesses

including thrift store, antiques store, and

junk store. The entire building was sold

to Garland and Myrna McKee on May 31,

1985 for use as a thrift store.

In 1999, Sarah and Bobby Ballentine

purchased the property and began renovations

that consumed nine months to

completion. In June of 2000, the Ballentines

moved Heirlooms and Comforts, a

quilt retail business, into the building.

Heritage Society permission to use the

old jail as a museum. With the help of

volunteers the Central Heritage Society

cleaned and painted the City Hall/Jail for

their rst Christmas Tour in 1994. The

City Hall/Jail was released back to the

Town of Central in 1995.

864-882-4112

welcomes you to the

2018 2011 Central Railroad Festival!

1105 Tiger Boulevard, Clemson • (864) 654-1200

Walking Tour Site 7

Central City Hall/Jail

415 Gaines Street

Built of granite blocks by the Newton

family after 1900, the building was

used rst as a jail for local offenders

and as a city hall. Most of the men who

stayed in the building were from Central

and Clemson and had too much to drink.

Other prisoners were taken to Pickens

County Jail.

In 1994, prior to acquisition of the

Morgan House for use as a museum,

Central City Council gave the Central

Walking Tour Site 8

Red Caboose

East Main Street

The car that traditionally signals the

end of the train is ttingly displayed as

a memorial to the railroad tradition that

brought so much history to Central. During

Central Revitalization in the late 1980s,

Charles Head, who was working for the

Norfolk Southern was approached and

ask if he could acquire a Southern Railroad

caboose for the Town of Central.

After several attempts, in 1988 the town

was given a Norfolk Southern Caboose

and it was displayed across the road beside

the main tracks at the Labor Day railroad

Festival. While Al Cumbie was mayor in

1990, through the efforts of the Railroad

Festival Committee, Central Town Council

and Norman Canoy the caboose was

put on display in Central at its present position

beside the Rock Station.

FUNction

Watkins

Street

Werner

Street

Bonnie Littrell 864.639.2487

100 Church Street | Central, SC 29630

Collins

Ole Towne

Central

Town Hall

(P)

ALL

ABOARD

FOR FUN!

New Life

Church

(P)

Continuous

CAT BUS to

Clemson Area Transit

April 23rd

proudly supports

THE

CENTRAL

RAILROAD

FESTIVAL

foundersfcu.com • 1-800-845-1614

Fire

Dept

Not a Founders Member?

Visit RelaxJoinFounders.com

to see if you qualify for membership.

Federally insured by NCUA.

Heritage

Museum


a railroad town rich in Welcome history

Historic

Saturday, April 28, 2018 2018 Central Railroad Festival • Pickens County Courier Page 11

Welcome to Historic

Central, South Carolina...

a railroad town rich in history

Free RR Festival

CAT BUS TOUR

Central

History

Museum

Main St

Red

Caboose

1

Church St

Gaines St

Wesleyan Dr

Join us on the Free CAT Bus Tour!

Free a railroad RR town Festival

rich in history

CAT BUS TOUR

Central

History

Museum

1. Central History Museum This 1893 residence was built by Jeptha

and Minnie Morgan. Exhibit rooms feature artifacts and history of the

town. The home is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and

Free RR Festival

Red

Caboose

CAT BUS TOUR

Red

Caboose

Central

Main St

Church St

Gaines St

Wesleyan Dr

Join us on

church

the

and town. mill. The 228 home Lawton

Free

is listed Road. on Open the National 10

CAT

a.m. Register to 3 p.m. of Historic

Bus

Places and

Tour!

Baptist, Timberland Crossing and Collins Ole Towne.

is a site on the South Carolina Heritage Corridor. 416 Church Street.

864-639-2794 or 864-639-2156

Collins

Ole Towne

1. Central History Museum

CAT Bus Stops

This

(continuous) Town Hall, New Life Church,

1893 residence was built by Jeptha

2. Collins Ole Towne Visit this Depression-era community from the

and Minnie Morgan. Exhibit

Baptist, Timberland 2. Collins

rooms

Crossing Ole Towne and Collins Visit

feature

this Ole Depression-era Towne. community

artifacts

from the Baptist, Timberland history Crossing and Collins Ole of Towne.

1920s and 1930s. A step back time takes you to a school, country store,

the

1920s and 1930s. A step back in time takes you to a school, country store,

church and mill. 228 Lawton Road.

town. The home is listed on church the and mill. National 228 Lawton Road. Register of Historic Places and

is a site on the South Carolina Preserving & Celebrating Heritage Central’s Heritage Corridor. 416 Church Street.

CAT Bus Stops (continuous) Town Hall, New Life Church,

CAT Bus Stops (continuous) Town Hall, New Life Church,

864-639-2794 Watkins Rd, Werner St, Church St (Fire Dept), or Heritage 864-639-2156

Museum, Cannon

Baptist, Timberland Crossing and Collins Ole Towne.

Clayton

2 Collins

Ole Towne

Welcome to Historic

We

Central, South Central, Carolina... South Carolina... Centra

a railroad town a railroad rich in town history rich in history a railroa

Welcome to Historic

Welcome to Historic

Central, South Carolina... Free RR Festival Central, Free RR Festival South Carolina... F

a railroad 2town Collins rich in 2 Collins

CAT BUS TOUR CAT BUS TOUR history

C

Free Welcome RR Festival to Historic

Central, South Carolina...

2 Collins

CAT BUS TOUR

Ole Towne

a railroad town rich in history

Main St

Church St

Join us on the Free CAT Bus Tour!

Central

2 Collins History 1

Ole Museum Towne

Central

History 1

1. Central History 1. Museum Central This History 1893 Museum residence History was This 1built 1893 by residence Jeptha was built by 1. Jeptha Central History 1M

Museum

and Minnie Morgan. and Exhibit Minnie rooms Morgan. feature Exhibit artifacts Museum rooms and feature history artifacts of the and history and of the Minnie Morgan. a

Red

town. The home is listed town. on The the home National is listed Register on the of Historic National Places Register and of Historic Places

Caboose

town. and The home is list t

is a site on the South is a Carolina site on Heritage the South Corridor. Carolina 416 Heritage Church Corridor. Street. 416 Church

Join us on the Free CAT Bus Tour!

is Street. a site on the South i

864-639-2794 or 864-639-2156 864-639-2794 or 864-639-2156 Join us on the Free CAT Bus Tour!

864-639-2794 or 864- 8

1. Central History Museum This 1893 residence was built by Jeptha

1. Central History Museum This 1893 residence was built by Jeptha

and Minnie Morgan. Exhibit Central rooms feature artifacts and history of the

and Minnie Morgan. Exhibit rooms feature artifacts and history of the

town. The home is listed on History the National 1 Register of Historic 2. Collins Places Ole and Towne 2. Collins Visit town. this Ole Depression-era The Towne home Visit listed community this Depression-era the from National the community Register of Historic from 2. Collins the Places Ole and Town 2

is 1a site on the South Carolina MuseumHeritage Corridor. 416 1920s Church and 1930s. Street. A step 1920s back and in is 1930s. time a site takes A step on you the back to South a in school, time Carolina takes country you Heritage store,

a school, Corridor. country 416 1920s store, Church and 1930s. Street. A ste 1

864-639-2794 or 864-639-2156

church and mill. 228 Lawton church and Road. 864-639-2794 mill. 228 Lawton or 864-639-2156

Road.

church and mill. 228 Lc

Main St

Gaines St

Church St

Wesleyan Dr

Gaines St

Wesleyan

2. Collins 1. Central Ole Towne History Visit Museum this Depression-era This 1893 community residence CAT was from built Bus the by Stops Jeptha (continuous) CAT 2. Collins Bus Stops Town Ole (continuous) Hall, Towne New Visit Life Town this Church, Depression-era Hall, New Life community Church, from the

1920s and and 1930s. Minnie A step Morgan. back in Exhibit time takes rooms you feature to a school, artifacts country and store, history of the

CAT Bus Sto

Watkins Rd, Werner St, Watkins Church Rd, 1920s St Werner (Fire and Dept), St, 1930s. Church Heritage A step St Museum, (Fire back Dept), in time Cannon Heritage takes you Museum, to a school, Cannon Watkins country Rd, store, Werner St W

Baptist, Timberland church and Crossing mill. 228 and Lawton Collins Road. Ole Towne.

is a site on the South Carolina Heritage Corridor. 416 Church Street.

Baptist, Timberland CB

864-639-2794 or 864-639-2156

Watkins Rd, Werner St, Church St (Fire Dept), Heritage Museum, Cannon

Baptist, Timberland Crossing and Collins Ole Towne.

Clayton

Clayton

Main St

Red

Caboose

Central

History

Museum

CAT Bus Stops (continuous) Town Hall, New Life Church,

Watkins Rd, Werner St, Church St (Fire Dept), Heritage Museum, Preserving Cannon & Celebrating Preserving Watkins Rd, & Central’s Werner Celebrating St, Church Heritage St Central’s (Fire Dept), Heritage

Museum, Preserving Cannon &

Church St

Gaines St

Clayton

2

Main St

Wesleyan Dr

Free RR Festival

CAT BUS TOUR

Red

Caboose

Church St

Gaines St

Main St

Red

Caboose

Church St

Wesleyan Dr

Gaines St

Wesleyan

Join us on the Free Join CAT us on Bus the Tour! Free CAT Bus Tour!

1

Clayton

Ole Towne

Ole Towne

2 Collins

Ole Towne

Preserving & Celebrating Central’s Heritage

Clayton

Clayton

Cent

Histo

Muse

Join us


Page 12 Pickens County Courier • 2018 Central Railroad Festival Saturday, April 28, 2018



TRAIN

GAMES

BA

A



2018 FESTIVAL M

Railway Museum Train

EMS/Police

Caboo

Handicapped Parking Face P

Information/Volunteers Inflat

CATbus Shuttle & Tour Photo


Saturday, April 28, 2018 2018 Central Railroad Festival • Pickens County Courier Page 13

LLOON

RTIST

KIDS’

CRAFTS


KIDS’

STAGE


1

3

FUN



LIVE STEAM

2

ENGINES

$






AP Saturday, April 28 2018 1

Rides

se Tours

ainting

ables

Station

1 Explore the Fire Engine

2 Explore the CATbus

3 Central Heritage Museum

4 Live Steam Engine

$ First Citizens Bank

Bathrooms

Train Ride Course

Railroad

Barricades

4


Page 14 Pickens County Courier • 2018 Central Railroad Festival Saturday, April 28, 2018

central

railway

model & historical association, inc.

Welcomes You to the Central Railroad Festival!

Humble Beginnings with Big Dreams: Since our founding in 1991, the

The Central Railway Model and Historical Association

Central Railway Model and Historical Association, Inc. (CRMHA) has been a

(CRM&HA) was founded in 1991 by a group of local railroad

proud part of the Central community. We are diverse group, sharing a

enthusiasts whose shared passion for railroads and for model

common

railroading

love

led

of trains

them

and

to

railroads,

meeting

from

to share

the interpretation

their knowledge

of railroad

and

history

to skills the preservation with one another. of joy and excitement of toy trains, to the finer points of

model craft. Today, with more than 50 members, we are excited to share the

many The different town aspects of Central of what agreed is undoubtedly to lease the a house World’s built Greatest in 1881 Hobby! on

108 Werner St. to the club in order to preserve the house and

provide an attraction that celebrates the town’s railroad history.

A Central Tradition: The CRMHA has been a featured participant in

Central’s In 2009, Railroad the members and Heritage of the festivals museum since completed 1992, orchestrating restoration a pageant

of model the house trains for and everyone began construction to enjoy. That same, of the 12’ existing x 26’ portable permanent model

railroad layouts. that was first displayed at the 1992 Railroad Festival continues to

undergo many changes, expansions, and upgrades, but still proudly serves as

We wanted to show history of Model Railroading and also

our public ambassador at shows and festivals.

the heritage of toy trains. It was decided to develop an area to

present a typical American Flyer layout and a typical Lionel

A Permanent Home: In 2008, after moving from one temporary location to

layout to show how toy trains were developed in the 1930s

another, the Town of Central teamed up with the CRMHA toward opening the

through the ‘50s and ‘60s. Those two exhibit areas have grown

Central Railway Museum. The Allen House 108 Werner Street was

into very exciting large layouts featuring some of the operating

exhaustively

displays that

renovated

were created

by the Town

to keep

and

kids

CRMHA

of all

members

ages interested

to become

in

a

showcase playing with for Central’s the trains. place in railroad history. Our featured HO layout

depicts the essence of railroading through the upstate and western Carolinas in

the late The 1950’s. rest of We the have museum a growing was collection dedicated of railroad to model artifacts trains. It

characteristic was decided of to the model upstate. HO Our gauge Lionel and Heritage some room narrow is under gauge development, trains.

and A time our American frame was Flyer needed Heritage so Layout the fall is of one 1958 of the was finest, chosen. most complete Many

collections

members

in

felt

the

that

nation!

this was the time of good music, great automobiles

and trains powered by steam and that new design,

diesel power. A track layout was planned and the work began.

Awards and Accolades: Not only is the home to many award-winning

modelers,

Our layout

but the Town

is now

of

on

Central

three

and

levels,

the CRMHA’s

running

partnership

through

was

all of the

recognized

rooms except

with an

the

Achievement

bathroom

Award

and kitchen/work

in 2011 by the Municipal

area. The

Association

engines

of are South complete Carolina! with The sound Central and Railway are operated Museum and by Allen individual House radio are

standing testimony to this award-winning partnership.

controllers. With the advent of smart phones we can now operate

the engines using our own telephones. Many towns and

Come See Us! Work sessions typically occur on Thursday and Saturday

cities are modeled here including Central SC and the Atlanta

a.m.

mornings

Peachtree p.m. at

station.

the Museum. We often open for special guided tours upon request

for your tour group, school class trip, and extended Open House hours between

Thanksgiving Our museum and Christmas. open Business every Thursday meetings from occur on 9 a.m. the first until Thursday 2

evening p.m. and of each every month Saturday 7:15 from PM. We 9 a.m. are p.m. a until 501(c)(3), 2:30 tax-exempt p.m. Admission historical

and is free educational but donations organization; are gladly your donations accepted. are greatly Special appreciated! groups may set

up a special visit on non opening days by contacting us through

our website, www.crmha.org.

www.crmha.org and on facebook!


Downtown

Central History Museum quarters, Seniors Unlimited, Central Railway

Model and Historical Association, including thrift store, antiques store, and City Hall/Jail was released back to the

building was home to various businesses their rst Christmas Tour in 1994. The

n

416

Central

Church Street

Inc., and Chapman private kindergarten. junk store. The entire building was sold Town of Central in 1995.

TOUR

Saturday, Warm, homey April 28, and 2018 as natural as if the In 1994 the National Park Service, to Garland 2018 and Central Myrna McKee Railroad on May Festival 31, • Pickens County Courier Page 15

residents just got up from the supper table Department of Interior, added the 1985 old for use as a thrift store.

From Page 10

wing

you

rent

he

ble

nie

ny

n-

se

ey

ge

urre

urare

he

of

th

in

ucaufor

36

ed

me

in

n-

in

Heri

and went for a walk. Jeptha and Minnie Central High School at 410 Church Street In 1999, Sarah and Bobby Ballentine

old

Morgan, Main Street merchants for many this to the old National building Historic and moved Register. across The purchased the the property and began renovations

that consumed nine months to middle decades of the 20th Century the clean

ness there for ten years until 1977. In the volu

years, built this 1893 residence. The Central

Heritage Society purchased this house tral High In 1969 School a portion LTD Partnership, of the old Rehab high completion. In June of 2000, the Ballen-

building was home to various businesses their

street. town of Central sold the school to Cen-

in 1995 as a museum. With grant money school Buildings building on June was 30, remodeled 1999. The and Building

is presently furnished (2010) for the known Central as Library. Central quilt retail business, into the building. junk store. The entire building was sold Tow

completeltines

moved Heirlooms and Comforts, a including thrift store, antiques store, and City

from In a 1969 variety a of portion sources, of the the Heritage old high

Society was able to landscape the surrounding

gardens. Exhibit rooms feature sold the building to the City of Central

1985 for use as a thrift store.

The Lofts School Apartments. District of Pickens County

to Garland and Myrna McKee on May 31,

artifacts and history of the town and surrounding

area. The well-kept grounds are been used for various civic and municipal

on 21 Jun 1993. This old building has

In 1999, Sarah and Bobby Ballentine

Old

purchased the property and began renovations

that consumed nine months to

highlighted by a formal rose garden. The functions and served as the home of the

Central Jail

home is listed on the National Register of Clemson Little Theater for 15 years, Newton the Shoes

completion. In June of 2000, the Ballentines

Walking moved Heirlooms and Comforts, a

Historic Walking Places Tour and Central Site is a site 1 History on the South Allen Library, Boy and Girl Scouts headquarters,

Seniors Unlimited, Central Rail-

Red Tour Caboose Site 8

Carolina Central National History Heritage Museum

Corridor.

416 1

quilt

Church Street

Red retail

way Model and Historical Association,

East Caboose business,

Main Street

into the building. 10

416 Church Street

Inc., and Chapman private kindergarten.

East Main Street

Warm, homey and as natural as if the In 1994 the National Park Service,

residents just got up from the supper table Department of Interior, added the old

The car that traditionally signals the

10

and went for a walk. Jeptha and Minnie Central High School at 410 Church Street

Red

end of the train is ttingly displayed as

Morgan, Main Street merchants for many to the National Historic Register. The

Caboose

a memorial to the railroad tradition that

Walking Tour Site 3

years, built this 1893 residence. The Central

Heritage Society purchased this house tral High School LTD Partnership, Rehab Walking Tour Site 7

town of Central sold the school to Cen-

brought so much history to Central. During

Central Revitalization in the late 1980s,

In 1994 the National Park Service, Central Railway Museum

108 Werner Street

in 1995 as a museum. With grant money Buildings on June 30, 1999. The Building

is After presently 1884, (2010) F.B. Morgan known and as his Central wife

Central City Hall/Jail

Charles Head, who was working for the

from a variety of sources, the Heritage

415 Gaines Street

Norfolk Southern was approached and

Society was able to landscape the surrounding

gardens. Exhibit rooms feature this house for their family where all six of

Lofts Eugenia Apartments. Frances Robinson Morgan built 1

ask if he could acquire a Southern Railroad

caboose for the Town of Central.

Built of granite blocks by the Newton

family after 1900, the building was After several attempts, in 1988 the town end

artifacts and history of the town and surrounding

area. The well-kept grounds are who 1. lived START: in the Central house between History Museum 1903 used rst (1893) as a jail for local offenders was given a Norfolk Southern Caboose a me

their children were born. It is unknown

highlighted Walking Old Central by Tour a formal High Site rose 2 garden. The and when 2. Old the Central daughter High of Mr. School and (c. Mrs. and 1900) as a city hall. Most of the men who and it was displayed Central across City the Hall/Jail road beside brou

home Central is listed on the National Register of 3. Central Railway Museum (1881)

Walking Tour Site 7

School High (c. 1900) School

F.B. Morgan, Mattie May and Basil Allen, stayed in the building were from Central the main tracks at the (c. Labor 1920) Day railroad ing C

Historic Places and is a site on the 2 South

Central 9 City Hall/Jail

410 Church Street moved 4. into Historic the house. Downtown After Basil Buildings Ernest and Clemson and had too much to drink. Festival. While Al

Carolina National Heritage Corridor.

415 Gaines

415 Cumbie

Street

Gaines was Street mayor in Char

Allen 5. died Central in 1936, African-American Mrs. Allen converted Other prisoners were taken to Pickens 1990, through the efforts of the Railroad Nor

School (c. 1920)*

The Central School was opened in part of 6. the Central house as Roller an apartment Mill (1903) to rent. County Jail.

Festival Committee, Central Town Council

and Built Norman of granite Canoy blocks the caboose by the New-

was road

ask

September 1909 as a modern brick struc-Pagture with six large classrooms, a large au-

house and apartment were rented. After Morgan House for use as a museum, put ton on family display after in Central 1900, the at its building present po-

was Afte

After 10 Mrs. Pickens Mattie May County Allen died, Courier the In • 2011 1994, prior Central to acquisition Railroad of Festival the

7. Newton Shoes (c. 1906)

ditorium and space in the basement for her death

8. Central

in 1984,

Railroad

Mrs. Allen’s

Hotel

family

(1873-1936)

sold Central City Council gave the Central sition used beside rst as the a Rock jail for Station. local offenders was

additional classrooms. For the 1935-1936

Page

the

10

house 9. Pickens Old to Central Douglas

County City O. Massingill

Courier Hall and •

and Jail 2011 (c. 1920) Central Railroad Festival and as a city hall. Most of the men who and

school term, the new high school opened TOUR

John Walking 10. F. Geldard END: Tour Red on Site Caboose April 3 16, (1962) 1987. On

stayed in the building were from Central the Wm

across the street; the latter then became October Central *Not 6, open 2000 Railway to public Massingill Museum rael Hamilton “for use and benet of the salvage business in the one-story secti

108 Werner Street

From and Page Geldard

and Clemson and had too much drink.

9

FestS

the elementary school with a cafeteria Page TOUR

in 10 sold Pickens it to Ray County and Donnie Courier Billingsley. • 2011 FUNction

community Central as a Railroad community Festival building, Other subject

population option centers to demand of Atlanta a reconveyance County Jail. King and others until around 2004. Fest

prisoners an antique were business taken to operated Pickens by 1990 Gra

the basement. In February 1962, elemen-Otary school classes were discontinued in After

April As 29, the 2005 midpoint the house between and the parking

each, this little town found itself

major

and

1884,

Charlotte,

F.B. Morgan From Page

133 miles

and

from

his 9 wife rael Hamilton “for use and benet of the salvage business in one-story section, dent;

Eugenia

lot was

Frances

sold to

Robinson

the See town TOUR,

Morgan

of Page Central. 10

built community if said as building a community should building, be again subject

of

needed

In 1994, antique one business occupied

prior to

operated the

acquisition

building

of

by Grady after

the

2006. cil a

TOUR

Jame T

Morgan House for use as a museum,

On The April this Town house 29, the 2005 of focus

for Central their of house a

family

railroad leased and where the boom parking

July lot was 2007 sold to to the the Central town of Railway Central. Model if said building should be again needed one occupied ward the Martin, building are after restoring 2006. the The propert Abou W

house all six

in 1873. in to for option The school Atlanta to demand purposes.”

Richmond a reconveyance King and current others owners, until around Bobby 2004. Ballentine No and

put

ty GE

o

Central City Council gave the Central sitio

their children Air Line were Company born. set It is up unknown shop and even gave the town its name.

Walking Tour Central Site Railway 3

who The lived flood in the of newcomers house between brought 1903 prosperity, and Main Street

Central Walking 3 Tour Railway Museum

The and Town Historical of Central Association, leased the house Inc. in for for 12 rael school Hamilton

Junction

purposes.” “for use and benet of current the owners, salvage The Central Bobby Ballentine and Edward

Martin, are restoring the property. 1950

Sims

Site 2Museum

From Page 9

business the one-story seS

and when exploded. the daughter New shops, of Mr. hotels and Mrs. and other businesses cropped up to

108 Central Werner

108

High Street

Werner Street

July years 2007 with to the an Central option to Railway lease for Model another community as a community building, subject

to option to demand a reconveyance King and others until around Shea 2004

School and 12 Historical F.B. years. Morgan, meet The Association, house Mattie social was May and Inc. renovated commercial for Basil 12 Allen, with needs of the burgeoning

FUNct

Railroad an antique Hotel business 8operated by G

On April 29, 2005 the house and parking

lot

410 Church Street

years funds with moved from an community. into option Central to house. lease Much Town After for of Council another

Basil town's Ernest and character today is directly tied to

a do

After 1884, F.B. Morgan and 12 his work years. was sold

wife Allen completed The the died house the

railroad. in 1936, by was town

members It's Mrs. renovated of Central.

obvious Allen of with if said building should be again needed one occupied the building after 2006

converted the that Railway

part from of

the railroad tracks run through the

locat

The Central School was opened The funds Town in Club. of Central middle the house leased Town

of town, an the Council

or apartment house and

should we to in rent. for school purposes.”

current owners, Bobby Ballentine of an B

say the trains run through.

September 1909 as a modern brick July structure

with six large classrooms, a and large way au-

Historical Club. house and Association, apartment were Inc. rented. for 12 After

P

work 2007 completed After to the Mrs. Central by Mattie members Railway May of Allen the Model Rail-

died, the

ward Martin, are restoring the prope Cabi

ditorium and space in the basement years for with her an death option in 1984, to lease Mrs. Allen’s for another family sold

Junct

Side)

additional classrooms. For the 1935-1936 12 years. The the house to was Douglas renovated O. Massingill with and

A

school term, the new high school opened John F. Geldard on April 16, 1987. On

Store

across the street; the latter then

funds

became

from Central Town Council and

October 6, 2000 Massingill and Geldard

ing,

the elementary school with a cafeteria work completed in sold it by to members Ray and Donnie of the Billingsley. Railway

elemen-

Club.

Walking Central Tour Roller Site 5 Mills

the n

Walking Tour Site 5

Wyat

the basement. In February 1962,

tary school classes were discontinued in

See TOUR, Page 10 Central 300 Roller Madden MillsBridge Road

busin

300 Madden Bridge Road

Newton Shoes (c. 1906) the p

Historic Downtown

The Central Roller Mills purchased Walking 104 Madden Tour Site Bridge 6 was

Central 4

The the Central property Roller to build Mills the purchased mill on March

7

Walking Heirlooms Tour Site Road 6 and Comfort the p

the property 28, 1899 to for build $43. the The mill original on March three-story Heirlooms 104 and Madden Comfort Bridge Road Bolic

28, 1899 and for one-story $43. The original brick building three-story was completed

Walking Central

104 Madden Bridge Road tral P

Walking Tour

Central

Site 4

African- and one-story around brick Roller Tour building 1903.

Mills Site The 5was Mill completed

off Central 300 around and

operated Bank Section of Building (Right owne H

Walking Central 5Tour African Site American 4 American

School

School

Madden

on 1903. Roller in

Bridge

the The Mills original operated 6structure until

300 May on Madden in 7,

Bank Side) Section of Building (Right Hand had

Central West African Main Street

West American Main School Street off and Road the 1934 original Bridge when structure Pendleton Roadun-Oil til May purchased 7, 1934 when it. A.J. Pendleton Sitton, the Oil Mill new owner Farmer’s in 1906, Bank built purchased the structure the land and Drug open

Side) Mill Farmer’s Bank purchased the store la

West Main Street

See TOUR, Page 10The Central African-American purchased retained The it. Central A.J. the Sitton, Central Roller the Roller new Mills owner Mills purchased name. in 1906, for built business Walking the structure with Tour W.L. and Site opened Gassaway, 6 pre

School, The according Central African-American

to Betty Hendricks retained From the all Central accounts Roller shortly Mills after name. Pendleton for business with W.L. Gassaway, presi-

this old building and moved across the

street.

school building was remodeled and completely

furnished for the Central Library.

The School District of Pickens County

sold the building to the City of Central

on 21 Jun 1993. This old building has

been used for various civic and municipal

functions and served as the home of the

Clemson Little Theater for 15 years, the

Allen Library, Boy and Girl Scouts headquarters,

Seniors Unlimited, Central Railway

Model and Historical Association,

Inc., and Chapman private kindergarten.

Department of Interior, added the old

Central High School at 410 Church Street

to the National Historic Register. The

town of Central sold the school to Central

High School LTD Partnership, Rehab

Buildings on June 30, 1999. The Building

is presently (2010) known as Central

Lofts Apartments.

Eugenia Frances Robinson Morgan built

this house for their family where all six of

their children were born. It is unknown

who lived in the house between 1903

and when the daughter of Mr. and Mrs.

F.B. Morgan, Mattie May and Basil Allen,

moved into the house. After Basil Ernest

Allen died in 1936, Mrs. Allen converted

part of the house as an apartment to rent.

After Mrs. Mattie May Allen died, the

house and apartment were rented. After

her death in 1984, Mrs. Allen’s family sold

the house to Douglas O. Massingill and

John F. Geldard on April 16, 1987. On

October 6, 2000 Massingill and Geldard

sold it to Ray and Donnie Billingsley.

the property to build the mill on March

Heirlooms and Comfort


Page Saturday, 16 April Pickens 23, County 2011 Courier • 2018 Central Railroad Festival 2011 Central Railroad Festival • Pickens County Saturday, Courier April Page 28, 2018 15

Collins Ole Towne

Come visit Collins Ole Ole Towne Towne at the at

Central the Central Railroad Festival. Collins Ole

Towne is a replica of a 1920’s 1920s era village,

and it will be open from 10 10 a.m. am to 3 p.m. pm

during the festival. You can drive out on

your own on or or ride the the CATbus from downtown

or any remote parking location.

All the buildings at Collins Ole Towne

were constructed on the site. Much of

the construction material was taken from

old houses and buildings around Central

that were being demolished or renovated.

Buddy and Kathie Sims donated an old

house on the mill village. John Randolph

provided windows, doors and beaded ceiling

from an old mill house that is used

in the schoolhouse. Much of the ceiling

in the General Store came from the Dillard

Shoe Shop in Central. Other lumber

used in construction of these buildings

was taken from trees on the farm and

sawed into lumber at the sawmill at Old

Towne. Buildings are purposely designed

and constructed to reect the period being

depicted.

General Store. The store is stocked

with memorabilia concerning early life

in a small community. The collection includes

merchandise purchased by Roy and

Pat Collins from throughout the United

States and includes country store equipment

from the 1920s through the mid

1950s. Installed behind the store is the

rst red light used in Central.

Barber Shop. The depression-era

barbershop features a reconstructed motorized

barber pole, coat rack, and several

other items that were used by the late W.

C. Dobson in his barbershop in Central.

Joe Tankersley, the last owner, of this

shop loaned several of the items on display.

The Collinses purchased the barber

chair, pedestal lavatory and many other

items of interest during their travels.

Schoolhouse. The schoolhouse features

a bell tower with a functioning bell.

Just tug the rope and you’ll get the feeling

it’s school time again. Step inside and sit

in one of the old desks, some dating back

to the early part of the century. Several of

COLLINS OLE TOWNE CHAPEL

COLLINS OLE TOWNE

these were used at Central School and donated

by John and Clara Head. Roy and Pat

purchased desks in Louisiana, Mississippi,

and Alabama. Many old school books and

other memorabilia can be found in shelves

along the walls. A stage at the front of the

room provides a platform for the children

to perform. In cold weather, as an extra

benet, the wood-burning heater will

keep you cozy.

Molasses Mill. Making molasses

has been a routine activity each fall at the

end of October or early November. Family,

friends, and neighbors gather to help

in the process of cooking, canning, and

eating the delicious, golden syrup on hot

biscuits.

Collins Hill Inn. The Collins Hill

Inn was completed in 2004 as a family

gathering place. It became evident that

there was a need for local organizations,

churches, and families to have a place to

congregate for meals and fellowship. The

wrap-around porch allows people to enjoy

the old time atmosphere in the swing or

rocking chairs.

Ole Towne Chapel. The chapel was

the last building built at Ole at Ole Towne Towne and was and

dedicated was dedicated 10/10/10. Oct. 10, It features 2010. It windows features

from windows the from old (1969) the old Central (1969) First Central Baptist First

Church Baptist Church and Cannon and Cannon Hospital Hospital in Pickens. in

All Pickens. of the All pews of the were pews made were in made Pickens, in Pickens

the in the 1950’s 1950s but but acquired from Laurel

SC

in

Springs Methodist Church in Long Creek

and Mountain View Baptist Church above

Pickens. The steeple came from Pendleton

See See TOWNE, Page 16 17

We encourage you to come out and

enjoy the food, fun, and festivities at

the Central Railroad Festival

Town of Central Fire Department

864.639.5608

PO Box 306 Will Gregory

864.654.1220 | 208 Keowee Trail | Clemson

Central SC, 29630

Joe’s Body Shop, LLC

Auto & Truck Collision Repair

24 hour towing

422 Zion Circle

Keith Abercrombie

Since 1972

Central, SC 29630

Phone: (864) 639-2584

CentralJBS@AOL.com


Saturday, Page 16 April Pickens 28, County 2018 Courier • 2011 Central Railroad Festival 502018 children Central per clinic Railroad and plan to Festival do continue • Pickens with the County clinics Saturday, throughout Courier April the Page 23, day. This 2011 17

TOWNE

From Page 15 Pat Collins

BOB SHIRLEY From AT Page COLLINS 16

OLE TOWNE 28 Lawton GENERAL Street STORECentral, SC 29630

United Methodist Church. The church is 864.639.2618

ideal for small worship services, weddings royccollins@bellsouth.net

and other functions.

Call for Appointment

Build & Grow

Lowe’s of Central will again this year be setting up and holding Build & Grow Events

throughout the day of the festival. The event will be able to accommodate approximately

50 children per clinic and plan to do continue with the clinics throughout the day. This

will be a make-it and take-it activity. The festival committee thinks this is a great learning

experience and fun activity for all age children and appreciates Lowe’s participating.

Lowe’s is quoted as saying “we are truly excited about being a part of this celebration and

and participating in the community.” The committee again thanks Lowe’s for being a participant!

2018 Central Railroad Festival Sponsor

We hope you enjoy all

of the festivities...

BOB SHIRLEY AT COLLINS OLE TOWNE GENERAL STORE

Freedom’s Hill Church, located located on the

on

in the Freedom’s Snow Camp Hill was community originally of built what in

the campus campus of Southern of Southern Wesleyan Wesleyan University,

Uni-

is the Snow Alamance Camp community County, N.C. of what and is dedicated

Alamance in March County, 1848. N.C., and dedicated in

church-goers who stood against who slavery stood and against faced slavery violent March Student-led 1848.

worship services and in-

and opposition.

faced violent opposition. Outside the

terpretive Student-led programs worship are the services focus and of the in-

church Outside is a garden the church in the is shape a garden of a in wag-

the

chapel, terpretive and programs a heritage are center the focus is to be of built the

on shape wheel of a — wagon a symbol wheel once — a symbol used on once

the

adjacent chapel. Tours to the and church presentations for the comfort can be and ar-

Underground used on the Underground Railroad that spirited Railroad slaves that

convenience ranged with a of knowledgeable guests. Tours tour and guide presen-

for

to spirited freedom. slaves to freedom.

tations any type can of be group.

arranged with a knowledge-

Freedom’s Hill was originally built

able tour guide for any type of now

versity, features a features dramatic a history dramatic of church-goers

history of

group.

FREEDOM’S HILL CHURCH

Freedom’s Hill Church

Freedom’s Hill Church, located on

the campus of Southern Wesleyan University,

features a dramatic history of

church-goers who stood against slavery

and faced violent opposition. Outside the

church is a garden in the shape of a wagon

wheel — a symbol once used on the

Underground Railroad that spirited slaves

to freedom.

Freedom’s Hill was originally built

FREEDOM’S HILL CHURCH

Freedom’s Hill Church

Let us Collaborate and Create your next masterpiece.

Contact us today for all your video production needs.

(864) 841-8439

productions@viewdm.com

in the Snow Camp community of what

is now Alamance County, N.C. and dedicated

in March 1848.

Student-led worship services and interpretive

programs are the focus of the

chapel, and a heritage center is to be built

adjacent to the church for the comfort and

convenience of guests. Tours and presentations

can be arranged with a knowledgeable

tour guide for any type of group.

Build & Grow

Lowe’s of Central will again this year be setting up and holding Build & Grow Events

throughout the day of the festival. The event will be able to accommodate approximately

50 children per clinic and plan to do continue with the clinics throughout the day. This

will be a make-it and take-it activity. The festival committee thinks this is a great learning

experience and fun activity for all age children and appreciates Lowe’s participating.

Lowe’s is quoted as saying “we are truly excited about being a part of this celebration and

and participating in the community.” The committee again thanks Lowe’s for being a participant!

FREE

We hope you enjoy all

Rides

of the festivities...

CENTRAL

EXPRESS

TRAIN

10:30 am - 5 pm

Sponsored by


Page 18 Pickens County Courier • 2018 Central Railroad Festival Saturday, April 28, 2018


Saturday, April 28, 2018 2018 Central Railroad Festival • Pickens County Courier Page 19

Central

Elementary

Keep it

Movin’ 5K

While hallways of elementary schools

across the nation are filled with children sitting

and waiting to enter the classroom, students

at Central Elementary School can be

found on the track or in the school gym,

walking and running.

For the past several years, Central Elementary

has had a Keep it Movin’ program,

which encourages students to walk or run before

school on the school track.

Keep It

Movin’ is an

exercise club

available

for all students

— 4K

through 5th

grade. Every

child uses

a pedometer to track steps taken during the

early-morning club time. Steps are recorded

and then converted into miles. Once students

reach distance goals, they are recognized on the

school news show and receive prizes such as

water bottles, sweatbands, and shoe charms.

This year there are more than 250 students

who are actively involved in the program.

Keep It Movin’ also provides students

with the opportunity to prepare throughout

the school year for the annual 5K run. Each

spring, the Central Elementary School race

kicks off the Central Railroad Festival.

This year’s race is scheduled to start at

8:30 a.m. on Saturday, April 28. If you are interested

in lacing up your running shoes and

want to join the fun with healthy benefits,

there is still time to register!

To register for the race, go to https://

go-greenevents.com/event/id/5466 or call

the Central Elementary School front office at

(864) 397-1400.

GET IT DONE IN YEAR ONE!

The American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry

recommends that a child’s first visit to the dentist

should occur by their first birthday.

Schedule your child's appointment today!

Our practice specializes in infants, children, adolescents

and patients with special healthcare needs

Camille W. Horton, DMD

R. Dolan Frye, DMD

Michelle McInnis, DMD

620 Issaqueena Trail

Central, SC 29630

864-722-9013

Welcome to the

2018 Central

Railroad Festival!

314 Union Station Drive

Hwy 123 – Between Clemson and Seneca

864-482-7900

www.issaqueenadental.com


Page 20 Pickens County Courier • 2018 Central Railroad Festival Saturday, April 28, 2018

Proud supporters of the

2018 Railroad Festival...

and the Central Merchants

Mayor, Mac Martin

Town Council

Harrison Holladay Jr Lynne O’Dell Chapman

Joe Moss

Brandon Thomas

Town of Central

864.639.6381 | 1067 West Main Street | Central, South Carolina

CityofCentral.org


Saturday, April 28, 2018 2018 Central Railroad Festival • Pickens County Courier Page 21

We encourage you to come out and enjoy

the Central Railroad Festival

Clemson Lions Club

Serving Clemson, Pendleton and Salem

Rotary Club of Clemson

Sertoma Club of Clemson

201 Bank Street

Central, SC 29630

864.639.6605

• Selling Brooms

• Recruiting New Members

• Performing Free Eye Screenings

and Hearing Screenings at

JW Martin Real Estate Office


Page 22 Pickens County Courier • 2018 Central Railroad Festival Saturday, April 28, 2018

central’s

past

comes alive

— Excerpts from “Central Yesterday and Today,” by Mrs. Mattie May Morgan Allen

Central, nestled at the foot of

the Blue Ridge Mountains

in Pickens County, South

Carolina, is midway between

Atlanta, Ga., and Charlotte,

N.C. However, it was a center of activity,

even before this name was given to it.

No doubt it was a favorite hunting

ground for the Cherokee Indians as they

roamed from their encampment along

the Keowee. Arrowheads have been

found in abundance along the nearby

streams that still bear the names: One-

Mile [Mile] Creek, Five Mile Creek, Six

Mile, and Twelve Mile River.

Over two hundred years ago Central

radiated in every direction with large tracks

of land owned by settlers: Scotch, Irish, and

English, who had

moved into this section

after the end of

the Revolutionary

War. Many of them

were given large

grants of land as

rewards for service.

They were industrious,

ambitious,

God-fearing citizens

who labored

hard to make this

part of the country a good place in which

to live. As we note the names of some of

these first settlers, we find their descendants

among the citizens of the town today.

One of the first settlers of this section

was Reverend

Henry Gaines

(1737-1830), early

pioneer Methodist

preacher, who

is buried in the

old Twelve Mile

Cemetery, now

called Ballentine

Cemetery. His

Top: Downtown Central in 1930. Above right: Downtown in the 1930s

or 1940s. Above left: Depot agent John Sims (Photo courtesy of Kathie

Sims). Left: A drawing of the former landmark hotel in downtown Central.

will, written in 1830,

left some land to his

son, Reverend Robert

Gaines, who was once pastor of Mt.

Zion Methodist Church. The son of Reverend

Robert Gaines, Henry Lewis Gaines,

married Maria Douthit, and they were the

parents of Robert Gamewell Gaines, James

Henry Gaines, Susan Gaines, William Pendleton

Gaines, and a son Edwin Gaines, who

died of measles in the Confederate War.

The first post office was established

as CENTRE on December 17, 1873, according

to the records of the National

Archives and Records Service, Washington,

D.C. This was in the Garvin Township.

The Postmaster was George W. Burroughs,

great uncle of C.C. Burroughs of

Liberty, who writes that his uncle came to

this section from Anderson County and

later moved to Texas, where he practiced

as a doctor. Other postmasters under

CENTRE name were: Ross Eaton, Henry

Rowland, L. Ross Eaton, Henry D. Rowland,

Rufus W. Folger, and William Henry

Hester. The name was changed to Central

on 15 Oct 1879. Postmasters were: William

H. Hester, R.L. Lewis, William F.

Gary, Carrie B. Zachary, William L. Davis,

Jefferson D. Aiken, Timmie L. Brock,

James H. Gaines, Nettie A. Rochester,

Anna E. Ramseur, Clinton G. Rowland,


Saturday, April 28, 2018 2018 Central Railroad Festival • Pickens County Courier Page 23

Silas C. Arnold, Mrs. Ollie W. Bowers, Clarence

C. Phillips, Ernest Head, and others.

Joseph Eaton owned large tracts of land

in and around the village (Central) extending

toward Twelve Mile River. His sons, Lucius

Ross and Ephraim “Efe” Eaton, who inherited

this property, were early merchants. The

Ross Eaton store (little red-framed building)

was across the road from the Central Roller

Mill.

Earlier settlers include Henry Rowland,

George Brock, Sam Neal, Rufus Washington

Folger, Dr. Lawrence Clayton, Robert Finley

Morgan, Frank Morgan, J.C. Watkins, T. L.

“Tuck” Watkins, Richard Lewis, William F.

Gary and many others.

Coming of the Railroad. According to

William F. Geeslin, Public Relations and Advertising,

Southern Railway System, Washington,

D.C. September 28, 1873 was the

beginning of Central. The connecting link

in the line extending north from Atlanta and

south from Charlotte through Central was

completed and open for operation.

Since the village of Central was midway

between Atlanta and Charlotte about 133

miles each way, the Railway Company decided

to set up its shop here and the place was

called Central. Thus a town was born.

Houses were built for those who moved

in to work on the railroad. Stores were erected

to provide supplies and food for the people.

Shops for railway workers were built, for

this was to be the Terminal, where engines

would be repaired and changed. Engineers,

conductors, telegraph operators brought

their families and finding the refreshing climate

and friendly people to their liking, built

homes and settled down.

On the north bank of the railroad track

in the middle of the town, a long platform

was erected for the coal chute where big,

heavy dump carts were kept loaded with

black shiny coal. At the end of the chute was

a great tank of water that seemed to be always

overflowing.

Branching off to the right of the track,

toward the present textile mill, was the “Y”

or turntable, where engines were changed.

The incoming engine would be left and replaced

by another, all bright and shiny.

When the engine switched back on the

side track below the coal chute, Mr. Cyrus

Stephens superintended the filling of the

coal dumps. Bob Wright would push the

dump forward and the fireman would shovel

coal into the engine’s furnace. Then farther

down the track the engine stopped for water

from the big water tank.

Just below the tank back in a large grove

of trees a long rambling hotel was built to

become quite famous up and down the line.

When the northbound train No. 12 and

southbound train No. 30 met every day at

Central at 12 o’clock, the passengers alighted

and were greeted by a porter, wearing a snow

white coat, ringing a large dinner bell.

The South Carolina Senate and House

of Representative enacted legislation on

March 17, 1875 to incorporate as a town. It

was to extend one-half mile in each direction

from the Air-Line Depot. It was to be

governed by an intendant and four wardens

and elected on the first Monday in April of

every year. The town charter was renewed

on December 19, 1885.

Main Street was destined to see a great

change take place in the year 1897. At this

time the Southern Railway moved its headquarters

from Central to Greenville. The

first trainload of cars pulled out Sunday, July

4, 1897. Families that had built their homes

and settled down were uprooted. Houses

were vacant and business was at a standstill.

To add to the gloom, a fire broke out

one night that almost wiped out “down town

Main Street.” There was no fire-fighting

equipment. Gradually business revived and

began to take on new life.

Central’s charter had expired and it was

necessary to get a new one. It was re-granted

on September 8, 1901. Central had 349 inhabitants.

The Norris Cotton Mill had been in operation

since 1896 and Issaqueena Mill (Central)

was organized in 1903. This opened up

opportunities for employment. T.M. Norris,

president of Norris Cotton Mill, and

Mrs. Norris moved to Central and became

an integral part of the community. (Lived

in house next to Central History Museum.)

Thirty-seven homes were built for a cost of

approximately $250-- the first ones in 1904.

The railroad siding to the mill was finished in

October 1903.

The Wesleyan College (now Southern

Wesleyan University) began classes in the fall

of 1906 and brought in new people.

Central High School which had become

a State High School moved into its

new quarters in the modern brick building

on Church Street in September 1909. (brick

building beside Mt. Zion Methodist Church.

Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Head came from

Rosman, North Carolina in 1924 and ran a

grocery store on Main Street. After this they

bought land and built a number of rental

houses. Here they operated a store and also

manufactured cement blocks.

The town’s first water system was furnished

by Issaqueena Mill, but the first sewage

system was completed about 1949 while

Max Perry was mayor. Issaqueena Mill generated

its own electric power and furnished

some electric power to Central.

About 1917, Central contracked for

electricity from the Lenhardt Dam, a power

source on Twelve Mile River. Ed Jones

was employed as manager to install lights,

read meters, and collect for the town. Later

(about 1935) Duke Power bought the right

to furnish Central’s electric power.

We encourage you to come

We encourage you to come out and

out and enjoy the festivities

enjoy the festivities

Central Heritage Society

1588 Eighteen Mile Road

Central, SC 29630

(864) 639-2894

Welcome to the

Central Railroad Festival!

We encourage you to come out and

864.639.2794 | 864.639.2156 enjoy the festivities

416 Church Street Central, SC 29630

Central Heritage Society

Central Heritage Society

864.639.2794 | 864.639.2156

416 Church Street Central, SC 29630

864.639.2794 | 864.639.2156

416 Church Street, Central, SC 29630


Page 24 Pickens County Courier • 2018 Central Railroad Festival Saturday, April 28, 2018

ALL ABOARD...

...for fun, food, festivities and more!

PARK YOUR CAR AND RIDE FREE

RAILROAD FESTIVAL ROUTE:

• Central Town Hall (Public Parking)

• New Life Church (Public Parking)

• Fire Department • Heritage Museum

• Cannon Memorial Baptist Church (Public Parking)

• Werner Street • Watkins Street • Collins Ole Town

Saturday: 10 AM - 6 PM

Saturday: 9:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.

Clemson Area Transit

864.654.CATS (2287)

1200 Tiger Blvd., Suite 2 | Clemson, South Carolina 29631

More magazines by this user
Similar magazines