The Brickies


The Matchday Programme of Sittingbourne FC

Season 2019—2020—Programme 4

Saturday 21st September 2019


Sittingbourne v Guernsey, KO 2.00

Tuesday 24th September 2019

Velocity Trophy

Sittingbourne v VCD Athletic, KO 7.45PM

Sittingbourne Football Club is a UK company limited by guarantee:

Company registration number, 11360242.

Registered office: The Martin & Conley Stadium,Woodstock Park,

Broadoak Road, Sittingbourne, ME9 8AG

Who’s who

President: Alan Barty

Vice Presidents: Tania Spice, Andy Spice, and John Cooper.

Directors: Maurice Dunk (Chairman), Ken Medwyn (Vice

Chairman), Peter Pitts (Company Secretary) , John Pitts

(Football Secretary / Treasurer). Colin Page, Alan Barty, Glen

Parkes, Mick Sayce, Andrew Marjeram (Non Exec).

Other Committee members : Danny Appleton (Turnstile

Manager). Roger Pudner (Groundsman), Edward Lucas

Assistant First Team Secretary.

Other Key Personnel: Faye Goatham (Turnstile), Jackie

Mount (Programme sales), Tony Rickson (Match reporter),

Sandra Pitts & Lynne Lucas (Boardroom), Clive Phillips

(Club shop), Dudley Hird & Tony Rickson (Club Historians).

Roger Wilkins (Head Steward)

The Isthmian League and Singbourne FC strongly supports the FA

statement that there should be a zero tolerance approach against

racism and all forms of discriminaon. Accordingly any form of discriminatory

abuse whether it be based on race or ethnicity , sexual

orientaon, gender, faith, age, ability or any other form of abuse

will be reported to the Football Associaon for acon by that Associaon.

(The FA 0800 085 0508 / kick it out 020 7253 0162)



Manager: Chris Lynch

Ast Manager: Darren Blackburn

Coach: Josh Hall,

Physio: Marc Wheeler

Kit Manager: Warren Chambers

Team Assistant: Harry Chambers

Coach: Tony Vance

Assistant Coach: Colin Fallaize

Assistant Coach: Steve Sharman

Physio Assistant: Robin Bishop


Referee: Ian Fissenden

Assistants: Howard Collins, Billy Woods







Tom Benham

Lewis West

Emmanuel N'daw

Lewis Chambers

Cory Walters-Wright

Lex Allan

Enoch Adjei

Chris Webber

Shan Brown

Tom Fagg

Chris Barnard

Jason Fregene

Tyron Guthrie

Kane Phillip

Festus Lori

Johan Caney Bryan

Stefan Lawrence

Caleb Roberts

Joshua Oliver

Callum Stanton

Frank Tobin

Keanu Marsh

Harry Tobin

Tom De La Mare

Jamie Dodd

Tom Dodds

Matt Loaring

Kieran Mahon

Liam Mahon

Carlos Canha

Tom Jackson

Alex Scott

Ross Allen

Seb Skillen

Robbie Legg

Paris Pereira

Will Fazakerley



Manager: Chris Lynch

Ast Manager: Darren Blackburn

Coaches: Josh Hall,

Physio: Marc Wheeler

Kit Manager: Warren Chambers

Team Assistant: Harry Chambers

Manager: Keith McMahon

Assistant Manager: Danny Lee

Head Coach: Mel Ramsay

Goalkeeping Coach: Steve Watt

Phsio: Kieran Quarrington


Referee: Lee Dyson

Assistants: Joseph Dan-Pye, Dan Blades







Tom Benham

Lewis West

Emmanuel N'daw

Lewis Chambers

Cory Walters-Wright

Lex Allan

Enoch Adjei

Chris Webber

Shan Brown

Tom Fagg

Chris Barnard

Jason Fregene

Tyron Guthrie

Kane Phillip

Festus Lori

Johan Caney Bryan

Stefan Lawrence

Caleb Roberts

Joshua Oliver

Matt Funnell G/K

Tony Coxall G/K

Bradley Simms

Ryan Mahal

Aziz Lyoubi

Raphe Brown

Temitop Eweka

Alastair Gordon

Jack Steventon

Sean Roberts

George Monger

Dominic Odusanya

Aymun El-Mogharbel

Charlie Macdonalds

Alex Gaggin

Michael Olatunji

Kelvin Ogboe

Timi Toluwanile

Henry Ikeije

Liam Rosenfield

Dominic Vincent-Edwards

Courtney Barrington











From pipe and fittings to a set of basin taps or a

whole new bathroom suite, visit Drakes Sittingbourne

for competitive prices on a huge range of stock! Our

bathroom showroom showcases the very best bathroom

products and accessories from your trusted brands!

Drakes Sittingbourne, Eurolink East, Unit

12 Styles Close, Sittingbourne, ME10 3BF

01795 427216 •

This is a joint programme that covers the BetVictor Isthmian League fixture versus Guernsey

and the midweek game in the Velocity Trophy versus VCD Athletic.

A warm welcome to the Guernsey and VCD Athletic Players, Committee, and fans, and also the

match officials.

Both teams have started better than us with Guernsey especially doing well despite the fact that

they have played all of their 6 league games so far away owing to work being done at their

Footes Lane ground. This hasn’t stopped them from being the league’s highest scorers and

having a decent record of winning 2, drawing 3, and losing 1. These are exciting times for

Guernsey as they progress on their wish to have their own ground. Their current ground, Footes

Lane, is owned by the State of Guernsey and they share that with the Guernsey Rugby Club.

VCD Athletic have also started well winning 4, drawing 1 and losing 1. VCD are likely to include

in their squad two ex-Sittingbourne players in Raphe Brown and Jack Steventon, so welcome

back to them.

Player news now and I start with the sad news that Roman Campbell’s loan period has now

ended and will not be renewed, Roman has again looked impressive whilst on loan to us from

Gillingham and he will be missed.

Patrick Lee, is recovering from an injury and has also decided to move on and we wish both him

and Roman well.

Since the last programme I think it’s fair to say that we have underwhelmed by going out of the

FA Cup to Bognor Regis Town away 3-0 and losing to our local rivals Faversham Town by a

goal to nil. We were rarely in the game at Bognor but against Faversham Town we had what

was probably our best half of the season before succumbing to an unfortunate goal right at the

end of the first half. Faversham took sustenance from this and improved in the second half and

we couldn’t make the break through.

Finally the new website is now on line. It certainly looks better on mobile devices but there are

still teething problems which are probably down to me still trying to get to grips with the Word-

Press approach, principally embedding the photographs and match day programme into the

web page of the match report. However, I managed to save the extensive archive which goes

back to 1996 when the first Brickies website went live so I am pleased with that. As time goes

on I will try and get more links working on that archive. I have to say that there are some pretty

dismal football club websites out there as although they look OK they lack content and I have

always thought that with social media now often being the main communication platform the

website should be for confirmed news and information as well as an archive, as with paper being

more and more side-lined where, will the fans and historians of the future get their history

from? This is probably even more important now that many clubs have gone over to e programmes.

Don’t believe all you read on social media!

Staying with the website I had to take the Mitre shop items off as Mitre and the league have an

arrangement with Stadium Sports that they are supplier of Mitre kit to us, I am assured that Stadium

have these items and also our shirts. To be fair to Stadium they have subsided the teams

Mitre kit to the tune of around £1000.

Enjoy the games


From the Programme Editor

Bournecreet House, Bonham Drive, Sittingbourne, Kent,

ME10 3RY, T: 01795 426775, E:

Guernsey — A Brief History

Guernsey Football Club was formed in 2011 as

an independent, community amateur football

club to offer the island's elite footballers the opportunity

to progress and test themselves on

a regular basis outside of the Channel Islands.

The proposal to establish the club and

seek to join the English national league pyramid

system was developed by the Guernsey Football

Association in an attempt to further advance

development opportunities for the island's current

and future players by playing at higher levels

on a regular basis.

The club's vision is to create, develop and maintain

a sustainable, successful, financially viable,

democratic football club that creates and maintains

real and lasting benefit to its members and

the local Guernsey community. We are a registered

charity and will remain a non-profit organisation

with any financial surpluses being re- invested

for the future viability of the club and

hence the benefit of the local community.

The initial idea to establish Guernsey FC was

developed during the 2009-10 season when

Guernsey's Senior County Division One

representative side enjoyed a successful run

in the FA National League System Cup (for

league representative sides at Step Seven on

the non-league pyramid system and below,

since renamed the FA Inter-League Cup), culminating

in Guernsey beating the Liverpool

County Premier League 5-2 in the final in May

2010. The final was held in Guernsey in front of

a crowd of over 2,500 and was the first time ever

that the FA had allowed one of its competition

finals to be held outside of the UK mainland.

Following a 1-0 victory over Jersey to reclaim

the Muratti Vase in May 2010, the prize for winning

the FA National League System Cup for

this same squad of players was to represent

England in the UEFA Regions Cup preliminary

round in Croatia in September 2010.

Guernsey enjoyed mixed fortunes by beating

Wales 3-0, drawing with hosts Croatia 1-1 and

losing to group winners Turkey 3-0.

Over the course of the following few months,

the club's founding directors, Steve Dewsnip

and Mark Le Tissier, received encouragement

from the Football Association, the Guernsey FA,

the Combined Counties League (which we were

introduced to by the FA), our former official

main club sponsor Sportingbet, the island's government

(the States of Guernsey) and the island's

local football community to develop our

plans for the new club further and were delighted

when the member clubs of the Combined

Counties League voted by a significant majority

on 20 June 2011 to allow Guernsey FC to join

Division One of their league.

Although our club is very young, football in

Guernsey has a long history dating back to

1893 when the Guernsey FA was established

and since then has produced several players

who have graced the highest levels of the

English professional game, our former club

president Matt Le Tissier (Southampton and


Saturday 6th August 2011 was a historic day for

Guernsey FC and the island in general when

the club played its inaugural game at Footes

Lane against Knaphill FC in the Combined

Counties League Division One. That historic

day turned into an historic season with the club

winning the league title, having lost only 2 of its

34 league matches.

The 2012-13 season was a tough campaign.

The Green Lions reached the semi-finals of the

FA Carlsberg Vase in the club’s first season in

the competition, breaking its record attendance

twice in the historic run. A crowd of 4,290 was

at Footes Lane for the semi-final first leg against

Spennymoor Town.

The May bank holiday weekend saw GFC play

four games in four days and remarkably secure

all 12 points to finish second in the Combined

Counties Premier League and gain promotion to

the Ryman Isthmian League


Guernsey— A Brief History Cont

The club's first season in the Ryman Isthmian League ended in a respectable fourth place but

we lost 3-2 away to Leatherhead in the play-off semi-final. During the 2013/14 season the Green

Lions also became the first team from the Channel Islands to play in the FA Cup, when they

took on Crawley Down Gatwick away on 31st August 2013. GFC won the game 3-1 but went out

in the 2nd qualifying round to Conference South’s Dover Athletic 3-2.

Guernsey's second season in Ryman South was much tougher The Green Lions eventually finished

10th in the league before many of the squad were part of the Guernsey FA gold-medal

winning side at the 2015 NatWest Island Games in Jersey.

Despite some indifferent form in the first half of the 2015-16 season, the Green Lions found

themselves third in the table in the new year and equalled their Ryman South unbeaten record

of nine games. A six-game losing run though saw our play-off challenge fade away. We beat

our points total and wins total from the previous season, but finished 13th.

The 2016-17 season was GFC's most challenging yet as they battled against relegation for the

first time in their history. It took until the end of September to secure the first victory of the campaign

and bad luck hit Tony Vance's squad with several lengthy injuries and absences to key


They didn't manage to win a home game after Christmas, but finally ended their winless away

run (that had gone on for over a year and nearly 30 matches) when they beat Chipstead in February

and, ironically, it was their away results that kept them up as two more wins and a draw

were enough to keep them ahead of their rivals. There was change off the field as Mark Le Tissier

took over as Chairman.

2017-18 was a slightly more comfortable 18th place out of 24 with safety secured with a few

weeks to go, but the 2018-19 season went right to the wire. Thamesmead Town folded and that

meant that only one team would be relegated, with Guernsey securing a draw in the final minute

of the last day of the season thanks to a Paris Pereira goal to ensure they stayed up on merit.

Sponsors of our videographer

65+ Sensational Summer ideas – perfect to keep your

kids happy and engaged through the coming months!

Go to to read about this fantastic

magazine available as a hard copy or a digital e


Single Digital copy is £4.00

Annual Digital copies are £12.00

Single hard copy is £5.00

Annual hard copies are £29.50

VCD Athletic — A Brief History

VCD Athletic FC is one of only a few clubs to

have originated during the Great War when, in

1916 it was formed by workers employed at the

Vickers armaments factory in Crayford. The

Company originally played only interdepartmental

games until it was decided that

the best players from the various sections

would be elected to represent the firm. The

club have played at the firm's sports ground,

Oakwood, in Old Road, Crayford, from the outset

right up to the present time, except for eight

seasons spent ground sharing whilst trying to

get permission for the erection of floodlights.

In the early days, only friendly matches were

played as there were no official competitions

during the war years, and records show that a

club called Vickers (Erith) joined the re-formed

Kent League in 1919, changing their name to

Vickers (Crayford) a year later. In their first

season in the Kent League they visited Maidstone

United on Boxing Day and played in front

of a crowd of 13,500. The Vickers team that

day contained seven Arsenal players who were

finishing off their war service. Two years later,

Vickers joined the Dartford & District League,

followed by entry into the newly formed Kent

Amateur League, Division One in 1923. Their

first trophies came in 1927 when they won the

Kent FA Junior Cup and the Kent Benevolent


It was a further 25 years before more silverware

came their way, when they won the Kent

Division One title in 1953. The Kent Amateur

Cup was won in 1962 and in 1964 but the following

season saw a spectacular slump and

relegation, with a record of P24 W0 D2 L22,

goals for 25, goals against 199.

Promotion was gained in 1969, but after a mediocre

period during the 1970s, they were relegated

in 1980 back to Division Two. A season

later they were promoted back to Division One

and in 1985 won the championship, gaining

promotion to the restructured Premier Division.

By now the Kent Amateur League had

changed its name to the Kent County League

and the club enjoyed further success when

they won the Kent FA Intermediate Shield in

1988. In the same year the club was involved

in the last ever match played at Maidstone

United's London Road ground when they won

the West Kent Challenge Cup.

In 1993, Martin Ford joined the club as manager

and, in season 1995/1996 a unique cup treble

was achieved with wins in the Kent Intermediate

Shield, Kent County League Cup, and

the Erith Hospitals Cup. Season 1996/1997

then saw the club win the Kent County Premier

Division title for the first time in their history,

and by a record 15 points. Senior status was

awarded that same year and a successful application

was made to join the Winstonlead

Kent League where, in their first season in

modern times, VCD Athletic finished in a creditable

ninth place. The following season saw

the club begin a ground-share with Thamesmead

Town, finishing up in seventh place but

also reaching the final of the Kent League Cup,

where they lost 1-0 to Deal Town in a closely

fought match. Deal at this time were assembling

the side that was later to win the FA Vase

at Wembley.

A season later the club went one better, beating

Faversham Town 4-0 in the final to bring

the club a first ever senior trophy, and the season

after that the club made its third consecutive

cup final appearance when they reached

the final of the Kent Senior Trophy. However,

they narrowly missed out on more silverware

when they went down 10-9 on penalties to

Whitstable Town. The club eventually spent

five seasons as tenants of Thamesmead Town

before Lordswood FC kindly took their place for

two seasons. Then the club embarked on a

one year term with near neighbours Greenwich

Borough, and despite the handicap of having to

ground-share, VCD were consistently one of

the league's strongest members during their

time in the league.

The club reached the final of the League Cup

in 2002/2003, but on the day there was no celebration

as VCD were comfortably beaten 2-0

by Cray Wanderers. The following season was

a disappointment as far as the cups were concerned,

but a creditable third place was

achieved in the league. Further cup success

followed however when, in season 2005/2006

the club reached the final of the Kent Senior

Trophy for the second time. Having suffered a

loss in the first final on penalties, there was a

reversal of fortune this time when, after having

drawn 1-1 with Tunbridge Wells at the end of

extra time, the VCD players held their nerve to

win the penalty shoot-out 3-1.


VCD Athletic — A Brief History

During 2005 the long awaited news the club

wanted to hear finally arrived when planning permission

for floodlights and the development of

the Oakwood ground was granted by Bexley

Council. This, together with a substantial grant

from the Football Stadia Improvement Fund, part

of the Football Foundation, enabled work to commence

early in 2006. The pitch was levelled, rotated

90 degrees and re-laid. New perimeter

paths were laid, along with perimeter fencing to

enclose the pitch. Floodlights were erected in

June 2006, at the same time that work on enhancing

the changing rooms also began. The

spectator stand was re-sited and extended, and

further additions included a new raised hospitality

area situated to overlook the pitch, and a new tea

bar adjacent to the popular members bar.

At the end of the 2007 season Martin Ford resigned

as manager, and the club are grateful for

his vision and enthusiasm over the years that

took VCD from being a Kent County League side

to one that was always around the top of the table

in the Kent League, and on his departure the

club had just reached the last 16 of the prestigious

FA Vase for the second consecutive season.

Head coach Dean Frost took over as caretaker

manager, and under his guidance the club

obtained runners up spot in the league, narrowly

missing out to Whitstable Town, and then the following

season Paul Foley was appointed manager

of the first team, with Dean Frost reverting to

his former position of head coach. Under their

stewardship the club finished runners up once

more. A year later, the club finally won the Kent

League Premier Division title together with the

Kent Senior Trophy, culminating in the long

awaited promotion to the Ryman Football


The first season was a success with an 8 th place

finish, but the club were left stunned when the

Ryman League deemed ground issues warranted

demotion, and despite an appeal to the Football

Association, the decision was upheld and the

club went back to the Kent League. Manager

Paul Foley resigned to join Chatham Town, taking

virtually the whole team with him, and the

club appointed former reserve team manager

Ricky Bennett his replacement. Under his leadership

VCD achieved third place in his first season,

and the season after the team was also challenging

for honours and, but for a disappointing end

to the campaign we certainly would have given

Herne Bay a closer run to their title. Once again

third place was attained but this time we had the

added bonus of winning the Kent League Cup,

beating Corinthian 2-0 in the final. We also lifted

a second trophy with a 3-2 victory over league

champions Herne Bay in the Kent League Challenge

Shield which gave the club a pre-season


Midway through season 2012/2013 Ricky Bennett

left the club due to outside pressures, and in

his place the club secured the services of Tony

Russell, previously manager of Erith Town FC,

who joined with his assistant Ray Powell. With

most of the players leaving with the previous

manager the club was in disarray, but a side was

quickly formed by the new management, and a

magnificent record breaking run of 17 victories

and 2 draws in the last 19 league fixtures enabled

the club to once more gain promotion to the

Ryman Football League Division 1 North. Starting

as favourites for relegation, the club had a

stunning run, winning the first15 games and

heading the table for all but a couple of weeks

throughout the campaign, and on the last day of

the season, sitting in 2 nd place the Vickers defeated

Romford FC 6-0 while leaders Witham

Town could only draw their last game which saw

us secure the title by a point, taking the club to

the Premier Division, its highest ever level in the

pyramid. The club struggled for a lot of the season,

spending most of the time in the relegation

places but winning the last 6 games saw us climb

to safety, finally finishing in 18 th position to maintain

our place in the division.

Manager Tony Russell immediately resigned,

joining Cray Wanderers FC in Division 1, taking

his entire side with him but the club acted quickly

to secure the services of Keith McMahon as new

First Team Manager. Keith came with a wealth of

experience having taken neighbours Thamesmead

Town from the Kent League to the Ryman

League Premier Division but, with no players at

the club and only a few weeks to the start of the

2015/2016 season Keith was up against it from

the beginning in trying to assemble a side to

compete at the higher level. He worked tirelessly

and brought in some excellent players, but despite

some good performances we were unable

to find the consistency needed in the Premier Division

and were relegated back to Division 1

(North). Inconsistency during the following two

seasons, albeit with some impressive wins

against higher opposition in cup competitions

saw us finish just below mid-table. Following the

Bostik sponsorship we were placed in the reconstructed

South East Division and enjoyed a successful

season finishing just one point shy of the

play-off positions, and with BetVictor now as

league sponsors we hope to continue making

further improvement.

Molesey striker Matt Hanlan turned his

marker Roy Clark inside out and from a

tight angle found the back of the net. This

was the only time that Clark had been

beaten by the striker.

Sittingbourne had a much welcomed

break from league fixtures in September

1994 and travelled to Surrey to take on

Molesey in the FATrophy.

On paper the Brickies looked good enough

to win this game with Lee McRobert and

Martin Buglione up front. The midfield

looked very experienced with Matt Stock,

Andy Blondrage and Paul Haylock all talented

enough to

outplay the Surrey

side. In defence

Sittingbourne used

a back five with

James Strouts,

Simon Beard, Matt

Hume, Roy Clark

and Dave Collinson,

very much an

unknown quantity.

Teenager Clark was

making his debut and looked cool on the

ball, heading well and marking tightly.

The first half ended goalless despite

Sittingbourne dominating play. The second

half saw the visitors pile on the pressure

with McRobert twice going close and

Buglione twice denied by the goalkeepers

legs. The home side did on one occasion

beat the Sittingbourne defence but Efrem

Ebbli saved.

Blondrage left the field injured and was

replaced by Simon Ulathorne who failed to

make any real impact. In the 80th minute

Sittingbourne huffed and puffed but failed

to find an equaliser and exited the FA

Trophy despite being the dominant side.

Manager John Ryan was disappointed

particularly as his side had virtually 99 per

cent of the play but failed to score. He stated

that Sittingbourne, in their last two

games had restricted the opposition to just

four shots but somehow had lost both


Also this week played on a Thursday night

at Central Park, the youngsters of

Sittingbourne took

on Gillingham in the

FA Youth Cup. The

tie ended 2-2 with

goals coming from

Ben Bray and Steve

Searle. The replay

on Monday night

was another tight

affair this time it was

Gillingham who

advanced to the

next round with a 2-1 win at Priestfield.

Lee Marshall opened the scoring for

Sittingbourne but Gills hit back with two

goals.Sittingbourne: Williams, Bower,

Ponsford, McLoughlin, Waring, Holliday,

Bray, Searle, Planck, Walker, Marshall.

Off field troubles continued however, by

the time Sittingbourne were to return to

Central Park to host Atherstone, the club

would have a new chairman and chief

executive and a rescue operation would

be in place to enable the club to run more

smoothly and efficiently.

Appearances to 17th September 2019


Apps 19-20 Sub 19-20 Goals 19-20 Tot Starts Total Sub Apps Tot Goals

Adebayo Izzy 0 0 0 19 12 4

Adjei Enoch 5 2 1 5 4 1

Allan Lex 9 0 0 53 8 2

Barnard Chris 7 2 0 7 2 2

Benham Tom 9 0 0 9 0 0

Brown Shaun 3 1 1 18 1 1

Campbell Roman 7 0 5 22 0 12

Caney-Bryan Johan 1 4 2 7 23 5

Chambers Lewis 8 0 0 56 0 4

Comins Bradley 0 0 0 0 0 0

Fagg Tom 9 0 0 44 0 4

Fitchett Ben 3 0 0 29 0 2

Fregene Jason 8 1 0 8 1 0

Guthrie Tyrone 2 3 0 27 26 1

Lawrence Stefan 1 0 0 1 0 0

Lori Festus 4 2 0 4 3 0

Loynes Tom 0 0 0 111 40 19

McFarlane Khalil 0 0 0 4 10 0

Middleton Liam 1 2 0 5 12 1

N'daw Abdel 6 1 0 7 5 0

Oliver Joshua 2 0 0 2 0 0

Phillip Kane 4 1 1 30 16 4

Roberts Caleb 2 0 0 2 0 0

Walters-Wright Cory 9 0 0 9 0 0

Webber Chris 3 2 0 88 2 4

West Lewis 6 1 0 6 1 0

Own Goals 1

Matches 21st September 2019

3pm Burgess Hill Town v Whitstable Town

3pm East Grinstead Town v Ashford United

3pm Herne Bay v Hythe Town

3pm Sevenoaks Town v Faversham Town

2pm Sittingbourne v Guernsey

Three Bridges P Ramsgate

3pm VCD Athletic v Hastings United

3pm Whitehawk v Phoenix Sports



17 Aug 2019

20 Aug 2019

24 Aug 2019

26 Aug 2019

31 Aug 2019

03 Sept 2019

07 Sept 2019

14 Sept 2019

17 Sept 2019

21 Sept 2019

24 Sept 2019

05 Oct 2019

12 Oct 2019

15 Oct 2019

19 Oct 2019

22 Oct 2019

26 Oct 2019

02 Nov 2019

05 Nov 2019

09 Nov 2019

16 Nov 2019

23 Nov 2019

30 Nov 2019

07 Dec 2019

14 Dec 2019

26 Dec 2019

28 Dec 2019

04 Jan 2020

11 Jan 2020

18 Jan 2020

25 Jan 2020

01 Feb 2020

04 Feb 2020

08 Feb 2020

15 Feb 2020

22 Feb 2020

29 Feb 2020

07 Mar 2020

14 Mar 2020

21 Mar 2020

28 Mar 2020

04 Apr 2020

11 Apr 2020

13 Apr 2020

18 Apr 2020

25 Apr 2020

Whitstable Town

Cray Valley PM



East Grinstead Town

Sevenoaks Town

Bognor Regis Town

Faversham Town

Ashford United


VCD Athletic


South Park


Hythe Town

Phoenix Sports

Hastings United

Haywards Heath Town

Cray Valley PM

Herne Bay

Chichester City

VCD Athletic

Burgess Hill Town

Sevenoaks Town


Phoenix Sports


East Grinstead Town

Three Bridges

Hythe Town



Ashford United


Sevenoaks Town

Hastings United

Haywards Heath Town

Herne Bay

Chichester City

Faversham Town

Three Bridges

Whitstable Town

Cray Valley PM

Phoenix Sports

VCD Athletic

Burgess Hill Town



FA Cup Pr



Velocity Trop

FA Cup 1stQ




Velocity Trop


FA Trophy Pr

Kent Snr Cup


Velocity Trop



Velocity Trop












































































































N’Daw *











Next home match

This programme covers VCD Athletic, Tue 24th September.

Next home after this is the FA Trophy Preminary Round v

South Park, KO 3.00PM



















KEY to above grid:

@ = After Extra Time

& = Lost on Pens

+ = Own Goal

# = Sent Off

1,2,3, etc after players name = goals scored

* = Subs used and players substituted

** = Sub was Substituted

6 7 8 9 10 11 12 14 15 16 17














Adjei 1














Campbell 1p#


Brown 1

Campbell 2

Campbell 1












Caney-Bryan 1 Barnard



























Middleton *



























The Offical Sittingbourne FC Website

for up to the minute news and stats.

News, Reports, Fixtures, Photo’s, Ex Players,

Brickies Lottery winners, Directions and much

more. Also an extensive archive.

Follow us on Twitter @SittingbourneFC

Paul Martin remembers his special games

I am sure most supporters have some special games which stick in the memory for whatever

reason. Here are a few of mine.

Leeds United 7 Chelsea 0 - October 1967

I left the security of my family in 1967 for Yorkshire and three years at Leeds University. A bit

of a culture shock to begin with, my first year being in a back to back street house (my mother

was appalled) sharing two attic rooms with three medical students. Our landlady, a fiery Irish

woman, supplied breakfast every day – spaghetti on toast with a poached egg! Every single


It did, however, give me the opportunity over these 3 years to visit all of the Football League

grounds in the area and some a bit further afield. Enjoyed visits to York City, Bradford City,

Bradford Park Avenue (a league team at the time), Halifax Town, Huddersfield Town, Barnsley,

Sheffield United, Sheffield Wednesday and Hull City as well as Manchester United, Liverpool,

Burnley and Newcastle United.

On my first Saturday of residence, I walked to Elland Road and stood on the vast open terrace.

After a 7-0 victory, how could I not become a closet Leeds fan! A crowd of 40,460 saw

goals from Albert Johannson, Jimmy Greenhoff, Jack Charlton, Peter Lorimer, Eddie Gray,

Billy Bremner and a Marvin Hinton own goal. Also in the team that day: Gary Sprake, Paul

Reaney, Paul Madeley, Norman Hunter and Mick Jones. The real start of the Don Revie Era.

Toronto Blizzard 2 Edmonton Drillers 1 – May 1981

In May 1981, my wife and I booked plane tickets to New York with Freddie Laker to visit some

relatives of my Mother in Canada and some friends of my Mother-In-Law in Philadelphia.

Spent a week in Philadelphia and managed to see my one and only live baseball match. After

a week or so we drove up to Canada to visit my relatives. On the way home, we spent a few

days in Toronto before flying back to New York and home.

Purely by chance (?), I found out that Toronto Blizzard were at home in the North American

Soccer League at the Exhibition Stadium not far from the CN Tower. The stadium was massive

but only a tiny crowd in attendance. All I can remember is that the snacks were excellent.

The stadium was multi-purpose being used by the Toronto Argonauts of the Canadian Football

League and the Toronto Blue Jays for Major League baseball. The stadium was demolished

in 1999.

I have (or had) a programme for this game but unable to locate it. Toronto Blizzard were managed

by Keith Eddy, ex Watford, Sheffield United and New York Cosmos and included in their

squad Clyde Best, Colin Franks, Jimmy Greenhoff and Alex Cropley. They had a fairly unsuccessful

season winning 7 and losing 25. At least I saw one of the seven!

Edmonton Drillers were only slightly better that season winning 12 and losing 20. Neither

side qualified for the North American Soccer League Play-Offs and neither side stayed in existence

in that form for much longer.

Part 2 to follow in a future programme.

A series of articles by the author of the book ‘A History and Guide to Football Programmes’

describing how programmes have changed over a century-and-a-half of Association

Football. These articles will appear throughout the season in the Sittingbourne FC


Early FA Cup Finals

While the most important day in the football calendar has always been the FA Cup Final, for

many decades the quality and frequency of its programmes were far behind those issued by

clubs. Indeed, it was not until the late 1900’s that the football authorities took some interest in FA

Cup Final programmes, having previously stood back while outside publishers “sponsored”

matchday issues.

A number of 19th century Cup Final programmes were published by “The People” newspaper.

Printed locally, these Crystal Palace issues comprised a folded sheet with advertisements on

one side, the People being prominent amongst sports outfitters; and team lines and more advertisements

on the reverse. They were sold as “The only authorised programme” and so few have

survived that they now fetch five figure sums at auction.

Some doubts as to the “only authorised” issue status of these programmes have been raised by

the existence of another version of a 1901 Cup Final teamsheet. An “Official Programme” for the

Tottenham Hotspur v Sheffield United match, in the shape of a 7” x 5” blue card, has survived.

This version is devoid of advertisements, and one wonders if it was purely distributed to VIPs, as

opposed to being on public sale.

The teamsheet for the 1904 “English Cup Tie” between Manchester City and Bolton Wanderers

listed the players in two columns, and numbered them (1 to 22), reintroducing the original concept

of a match programme - the identification of players by spectators. Curiously, the reverse

side displayed the same names, and numbers, in 2-3-5 formation, along with the note: “Any alteration

taking place in the Players’ Names, a board will be sent round the Ground corresponding

with numbers on card.” It must have been a particularly large board to be seen by everyone in

the 61,300 crowd at the old Crystal Palace ground.

When Newcastle United played Bradford City at the Crystal Palace in the 1911 Final, W.H. Smith

& Sons issued a “Souvenir Card” priced 1d. Colin Veitch of Newcastle United was photographed

on the front cover of this large folded sheet, with the team lines (un-numbered, in 2-3-5 formation)

on the inside pages along with advertisements for “The Yorkshire Evening Post Football

Edition ; containing full report of the Cup Final, will be on sale to-night at King’s Cross, St Pancras,

Marylebone and Euston stations on the departure of special trains for the North.”

The refusal of the Football Association to become involved in programme production has not

helped in resolving this unofficial/official debate nearly a century later. Similarly, programmes for

representative and International fixtures were left to the host club. It was not until the Cup Final

moved to Stamford Bridge in 1920 that a single, definitive football programme began to be published

for the FA Cup Final.

For more information and advice on programmes and programme collecting, please visit

Match Report—By Tony Rickson

Saturday, 31st August 2019

BetVictor Isthmian League South East Division

Sittingbourne (1) 2 (Campbell 40, Ako-Adjei

77) East Grinstead Town (Miller-Neave

(pen) 83, Smith 88), Attendance: 177

It should have been a win, it felt like a defeat,

but it was actually a draw.

Two-up with less than 10 minutes to go, Sittingbourne

will have thought it was a victory

thrown away as East Grinstead fought back

dramatically for an unlikely share of the points.

After two encouraging wins in the previous

week, it seemed as if Sittingbourne were well

and truly up and running for the season. And

the first 80 minutes did nothing to dispel that.

Praise East Grinstead for the spirited way they

kept going, but Sittingbourne will have to look

at their game management and ensure they

see out games when they get in front like this.

before crashing the ball past the keeper at his

near post for his first Sittingbourne goal.

Perhaps substitutions before and after the

goal disrupted Sittingbourne, but they still

looked like holding out for the win even when

Cory Walters-Wright had a foul on the edge of

the area given against him and the resulting

penalty was squeezed under Benham as he

dived the right way.

Tails up, East Grinstead didn’t have to wait

long for their equaliser, Jason Fregene spoiling

an otherwise impressive performance by

giving away the ball, and Smith’s shot going in

via a deflection off an attempted block.

A decent enough Sittingbourne show to be a

deserved two goals up after 80 minutes, but

they need to do better over the whole game.

I always thought that old cliché about 2-0 up

being a dangerous scoreline was just that, an

old cliché. Seems like I had it wrong.

Both Lex Allan and Chris Barnard were back

after missing Monday’s exciting win at Ramsgate,

and Sittingbourne began well enough

with Tommie Fagg firing in a 30-yard effort

that would have been brilliant had it gone in.

East Grinstead didn’t show much but tested

Tom Benham after 30 minutes as he made an

excellent save diving to his right.

Sittingbourne: Tom Benham, Lewis West

(Abdul Ndew, 80 min), Jason Fregene, Lewis

Chambers, Cory Walters-Wright, Lex Allan,

Enoch Adjei, Chris Barnard, Roman Campbell,

Tommie Fagg (Yellow card) (Johan

Caney-Bryan, 74 min), Festus Lori (Chris

Webber, 34 min). Sub not used: Tyrone Guthrie,

Caleb Roberts.

After losing Festus Lori to a first half injury,

Sittingbourne still took the lead when Barnard

crossed low from the right, Enoch Ako-Adjei

cleverly dummied it, and Roman Campbell behind

him turned beautifully to smash into the

net and maintain his record of scoring in every

one of his games.

Benham impressed again when he took a free

-kick solidly and bravely under enormous

pressure, so bad that the visiting player was

booked for his challenge, while Fagg hit the

bar at the other end, Allan following up to convert

the loose ball only to be given offside.

Sittingbourne looked the better side in the

second half but needed the second goal to

make their lead look secure. And they got it

on 77 minutes when the speedy Adjei raced

from the halfway line and couldn’t be caught

East Grinstead Town: Brannon Daly, Ollie

Boulding (Yellow card), Karn Miller-Neave,

Dan Pearse (Yellow card), Andrew Cooney,

Jack Bray (Yellow card), Curtis Gayler, Freddy

Yao (Dan Mosby, 69 min), Robin Deen

(Orlando Smith, 58 min), O’Shaye Giraud-

Hutchinson, Reece Batchelor (Kyle Woolven,

15 min). Subs not used: Jack Meeres, Daniel


Referee: Valentine Anekwe; Assistants:

Kennedy Kikulwe, Andrew Simmonds

Buglione continuing to struggle up

front. Despite their dominance

Sittingbourne conceded a goal in the

59th minute.

This week 1994 Sittingbourne travelled

to the Midlands for a Beazer

Homes Premier Division fixture

against Corby.

Having gained a point in their last

game away at Sudbury, expectations

were high especially as Corby had

their own problems. The Steelmen,

bottom of the

league, were on

their third chairman

and third

manager of the

season! The club

programme said

Saturday’s team

would be “any

Tom, Dick or

Harry” and was

also described as

“a team full of loaners, youngsters and

misfits all trying to resemble a football


You would be forgiven for thinking that

Sittingbourne’s pre-match talk was

about how many they would win by.

Simon Beard put Sittingbourne ahead

during injury time in the first half.

Come the second half Sittingbourne

struggled to convert dominance into

goals with Lee McRobert and Martin

Sittingbourne nearly took the lead

when substitute Lee Thompson headed

the ball against the bar from a

Simon Ullathorne cross. In the 91st

minute Corby won a free-kick 25 yards

out. The kick was laid sideways to ex

West Brom player Noel Luke who fired

it home for a stunning winner.

The following week Atherstone were

the visitors to Central Park for another

league fixture. Barry Bright had taken

over as Chairman and visited the

dressing roon

before the match

and praised the

team for their commitment

and effort.

S i t t i n g b o u r n e

made one change

to the team that

had lost at Corby.

C h r i s t i a n

Matthews coming

in to replace Matt Stock in midfield.

Sittingbourne outplayed Atherstone in

every department but had to wait for

injury time in the second half when

substitute Lee Thompson managed to

force the ball over the line to give the

Brickies their second win of the season.

The 539 supporters celebrated

along with the players who went into

jubilation when the final whistle sounded!

MFW supports and advises a wide range of local tradesman and businesses.

Our services can be tailored to suit your needs and to ensure you get the information to help run and

grow your business.

We offer:

- Bookkeeping (as frequent as required)

- VAT Returns compliant with Making Tax Digital

- Management Accounts

- Business advisory services

- Payroll

- Personal Tax and advise

Let MFW take care of your accounts, to allow you to focus on your business.

Contact Teresa or Nicola today to see how we can help you on:

01795 479111

BetVictor Isthmian League South East Table

To Tuesday 17th September 2019

P W D L F A +/- Pts

1 Hastings United 6 4 2 0 7 1 6 14

2 Sevenoaks Town 6 4 1 1 10 4 6 13

3 VCD ATHLETIC 6 4 1 1 14 11 3 13

4 Ashford United 4 4 0 0 11 2 9 12

5 Chichester City 6 4 0 2 10 7 3 12

6 Whitehawk 6 3 2 1 11 7 4 11

7 Cray Valley PM 6 3 2 1 8 4 4 11

8 Haywards Heath Town 6 2 3 1 10 7 3 9

9 GUERNSEY 6 2 3 1 14 13 1 9

10 Whyteleafe 4 2 1 1 9 6 3 7

11 Faversham Town 6 2 1 3 7 9 -2 7

12 Herne Bay 6 2 1 3 9 14 -5 7

13 Phoenix Sports 6 2 0 4 12 12 0 6

14 Whitstable Town 6 1 3 2 6 9 -3 6

15 Three Bridges 6 2 0 4 7 12 -5 6

16 SITTINGBOURNE 6 1 2 3 7 10 -3 5

17 Burgess Hill Town 5 1 0 4 11 14 -3 3

18 East Grinstead Town 6 0 3 3 10 15 -5 3

19 Hythe Town 6 1 0 5 4 12 -8 3

20 Ramsgate 5 0 1 4 5 13 -8 1

Match Reports by Tony Rickson

Tuesday, 3rd September 2019

By Tony Rickson

BetVictor Isthmian League Velocity Trophy

Sevenoaks Town (0) 2 (Stone 64, Everett

67) Sittingbourne (2) 2 (Miles own goal 4,

Phillip 23)

Sevenoaks got a bonus point for winning a

penalty shoot-out 4-2 Attendance: 59

Sittingbourne can’t hold on to 2-0 leads for love

nor money at the moment, as they were pulled

back to 2-2 for the second successive game.

Under the peculiar new rules of the Velocity

Trophy, the League Cup by another name,

group matches that end in a draw then go to a

penalty shoot-out. The team that wins that finishes

the night with two group points and on

this occasion it was Sevenoaks.

So Sittingbourne got a point for the draw and

that means they’ve gone four games unbeaten.

And this was a decent performance, even

though they’ll be disappointed at the way they

lost their grip on the game for a short spell midway

through the second half.

They were able to bring in squad members and

keep key players Lewis Chambers, Tommie

Fagg, Cory Walters-Wright and Chris Barnard

fresh for Saturday’s FA Cup-tie, and they also

had Kane Phillip fit enough to start for the first

time this season.

And they took an early lead when Festus Lori

crossed from the left, Roman Campbell’s shot

was blocked, and Joshua Oliver thrashed a follow-up

shot against the inside of the post. It

bounced off a covering defender and back into

his own net.

Sittingbourne continued to look dangerous going

forward and midway through the half, Phillip

completed a fine run across the pitch and cut

the ball back left-footed inside the far post.

What a shame that Phillip went off injured soon

after, following a foul tackle, as he’d looked

dangerous and very quick.

an opening, Abdul Ndew provided the cover by

clearing off his own line.

Sevenoaks had huffed and puffed without doing

much, and Sittingbourne looked capable of

holding out, but the home side took advantage

of the rules of the competition by using all five

of their substitutes to give themselves fresh impetus.

And it worked a treat as they were soon level,

grabbing two goals in just three minutes. The

first was a long ball into the area that fooled

both Lex Allan and keeper Tom Benham, resulting

in an easy tap-in, and the second was a well

-taken curling shot by one of the subs, Everett.

Sevenoaks also hit the post and wasted a glorious

late chance to win the game, but Sittingbourne

were good value for the draw, even

though their passing on an artificial pitch was

sometimes not as a sharp as it might have


The home side converted four of their five penalties,

Benham making a good save at one of

them, but despite Johan Caney-Bryan and Lori

scoring theirs for Sittingbourne, Campbell and

Adjei both saw their efforts saved by the keeper

and the shoot-out ended 4-2 to Sevenoaks.

Sevenoaks Town: Ben Bridle-Card, Harry Kindon,

Kieran Hughes, Daniel Cumber (Bradley

Schafer, 61 min, Yellow card), Jack Miles, Ben

Gorham, Tyrell Richardson-Brown (Ainsley Everett,

61 min), Alec Fiddes, Adrian Stone

(Connor French 65 min), Frankie Sawyer

(Fraser Walker, 77 min), Ryan Fowler (Yellow

card) (Kyle De Silva, 61 min).

Sittingbourne: Tom Benham, Abdul Ndaw

(Lewis West, 60 min), Jason Fregene, Tyrone

Guthrie, Lex Allan, Caleb Roberts, Kane Phillip

(Chris Webber, 39 min), Joshua Oliver (Enoch

Adjei, 67 min), Roman Campbell, Liam Middleton

(Johan Caney-Bryan, 67 min), Festus Lori.

Referee: James Simpson

Assistants: Louis Saunders, David Joseph

Oliver, who had an impressive first half in midfield,

had a free-kick tipped round the post and

at the other end, when Sevenoaks did create

Brickies Lottery Results

The lottery is now even more attractive. There is now an annual prize (in December) of £500, and

each month a prize of £100. In addition Each week there are draws for £40 ( 3 prizes except for

the week when there is a £100 prize when there will be two £40 prizes).

Week Commencing 16th September 2019

£40, Ticket number 649, Barry Young, Sittingbourne.

£40, Ticket number 159, Hilary Carey, Sittingbourne,

£40, Ticket number 348, Michael Barrow, Sittingbourne,

Week Commencing 9th September 2019

£40, Ticket number 053, Kevin Coomber, Sittingbourne.

£40, Ticket number 477, Graham Martin, Sittingbourne,

£40, Ticket number 658, John Hyland, Sittingbourne,

Week Commencing 2nd September 2019

£100, Ticket number 269, Hilary Joines, Sittingbourne.

£40, Ticket number 075, Kin Crocker, Sittingbourne,

£40, Ticket number 547, Margaret Parrish, Sittingbourne,

Week Commencing 26th August 2019

£40, Ticket number 161, Nigel O’Reilly, Sittingbourne

£40, Ticket number 544, Daphne Dempsey, Sittingbourne

£40, Ticket number 670, Belinda Wisdom, Canterbury

Now is the time to join our lottery, see John Pitts or Peter Pitts (On the PA) or the bar for a form,

John Clarke IBF / BSF President

Sponsorship Opportunities

Match Day Sponsor - this gives the sponsor and guests (Up to four)

access to the boardroom to enjoy half time and post match food and

drink. Costs of this is a very reasonable £175

Matchball Sponsor - £50

Mascot - An ideal present for a football mad youngster = £50 Includes

mascot plus three guests plus Hospitality.

Man of the Match - Your chance to be the official "Man of the Match"

awarder £15

Sponsor a Brickie and have your name in the programme as a sponsor

for the entire season, rates are:

Complete Player...............................£50

Socks only........................................£10

Shorts only.......................................£15

Shirt only...........................................£20

Boots only.........................................£15

Web site advertising—An exciting opportunity to advertise on a web

site that has a verifiable 3000 plus hits a month. Box Advert, £75. All

enquiries for web site advertising to Peter Pitts via or call 07785 906627

Inside Programme Advertising: (Black & White or Colour). From

£50.00 (Business card size)

Ground Perimeter Boards: Size 8 feet x 3 feet = £200, then £150

per year renewal.. Other sizes negotiable

For any of the above see any committee member. Or email

More magazines by this user
Similar magazines