The Wanderer - issue 119 - http://www.wwisc.co.uk/

The Wanderer - issue 119 - Online - WYCOMBE WANDERERS INDEPENDENT SUPPORTERS CLUB - http://www.wwisc.co.uk/

The Wanderer - issue 119 - Online - WYCOMBE WANDERERS INDEPENDENT SUPPORTERS CLUB - http://www.wwisc.co.uk/


Create successful ePaper yourself

Turn your PDF publications into a flip-book with our unique Google optimized e-Paper software.


In recent issues, we’ve been through Wycombe’s most and least humiliating defeats and

now we round off this hardly anticipated series with our most embarrassing victories.

BLUES 4 THATCHAM TOWN 0, Berks & Bucks Senior Cup Final, 31 st March 1975

On a glorious day in Chesham, a Tony Horseman inspired hat-trick led Wycombe to a

magnificent 4-0 victory (after extra time) in the greatest cup competition in the entire

world, Wycombe having to play much of the match with ten men, after Keith Mead was

sent up for picking up two bookings in nearly as many seconds.

However, Wycombe were having an ongoing dispute with the Berks & Bucks F.A. who

were refusing to let the Chairboys play in the London Senior Cup. As a result, Wycombe

refused to collect the trophy and so it was awarded to Thatcham. They also declined and

officially there was no winner of the B&B for that season.

But there was more drama to follow the next season…

BLUES 4 CHESHAM UNITED 2, Berks & Bucks Senior Cup Semi-Final, 21 st February 1976

After the Thatcham debacle, Wycombe were punished by the B&B F.A. by having to play

from Round One the following season, instead of Round Three as they usually did. Wins

over Buckingham Town, Chalfont St. Peter and Rivets Sport set up a semi-final with

Chesham United and the Blues won 4-2, with Graham MacKenzie among the scorers.

Mackenzie, however, was cup-tied - having played for Hungerford Town in a previous

round. Wycombe withdrew from the competition before they could be kicked out and

Chesham went on to win the final, meaning that Wycombe had won 7 successive B&B

Cup games in 2 seasons without defeat, yet didn’t win the cup in either campaign.

OXFORD CITY 0 BLUES 1, F.A. Cup First Round Replay, 16 th November 1999

If at first you don’t succeed, try again. And then, one more time. Our F.A. Cup encounter

with former rivals Oxford City in 1999 was certainly notable, if not for the right reasons.

A home tie against a non-league team 100 places below you? Yep, we’ll have some of

that, especially as we’d turned them over 3-0 in pre-season. When Michael Simpson

opened the scoring, the floodgates looked set to open, but City equalised and forced a

replay at…Adams Park. City’s ground wasn’t deemed up to scratch for a proper cup tie,

so we were away at home. City took the lead, Simpson equalised and we had extra-time.

We STILL couldn’t find a winner and the game went to penalties, but a small electrical

fire behind the away stand forced an abandonment before the shootout could begin.

A second replay was needed and Oxford United offered to host. Given our record at the

Manor, we jumped at the chance and after the home(ish) side missed a sitter, Steve

Brown scored early in the second half and Wycombe finally overcame City - after three

games, five hours and two and a half weeks. We lost to Wigan Athletic in Round Two.


Hooray! Your file is uploaded and ready to be published.

Saved successfully!

Ooh no, something went wrong!