Views
5 years ago

Maddicks, Henry T., 100 Years of Daylesford Gold Mining History, p ...

Maddicks, Henry T., 100 Years of Daylesford Gold Mining History, p ...

Maddicks, Henry T., 100 Years of Daylesford Gold Mining History, p

Daylesford Mining Division HISTORICAL NOTES The actual area in which 'Jim Crow" name applied locally was an area around the junction of Spring Creek with Jim Crow Creek. 1 Another widely known name for the Daylesford goldfields was "Wombat Flat Diggings. 2 Mining centres: Daylesford ... Other in order of importance, these probably rates as Blanket Flat, Eganstown, Coomoora, Yandoit, Shepherd's Flat, Spring Creek-Hepburn, Dry Diggings, Glenlyon, Deep Creek, Sailor's Falls district. 3 1851 to 1856: Alluvial Leads - It is said that the first alluvial gold was discovered at Golden Point, Hepburn, in 1851. The first rush to Jim Crow (as Daylesford was then called) took place in the year 1853, the principle workings being Connell's Gully, Sailor's Creek, Wombat Flat, the old Race-course and Doctor's Gully - all alluvial. A second rush took place in 1855, but the heaviness of the timber, dense undergrowth of scrub and fern, the cold and wet of these high, and out-of-the-way regions, and absence of roads, etc., much retarded the development of the field. The third rush in 1856 brought the subsequent possessors of large fortunes, many among them Swiss, which gives Daylesford at the present time almost the character of a Swiss settlement. 4 March 1852: The Wombat Flat Diggings became the earliest town centre and became worked out first. 5 1853: The Daylesford (formerly Jim Crow) district was first brought into prominent notice during the year 1853, from the rich and extensive alluvial deposits which were discovered underlying the basaltic hills in the neighbourhood of the present township and Spring Creek, and the unearthing of the auriferous treasures so freely distributed in the flats and gullies and which, at an early period, were thought inexhaustible. The Jim Crow Creek is the main stream which intersects the Daylesford gold-field and may be mentioned that all its tributaries from its head, three or four miles south of Daylesford township, have proved auriferous ... In the neighbourhood of Corinella Paddock, Keep-it Dark, Old Tom, Spring Creek, Wombat Flat, Sailor's Gully, and Deep Creek, the alluvial workings have been of a few extensive character. 6 1854: The first reef opened out and worked was the Mauritius, "Kidd's Gully" ... The stone was burned, and then passed through a Chilian Mill, yielding 2oz. to the ton. Burdon's Reef, Doctor's Gully, also realised 2oz. to the ton about the same period. Temby, Addis and Brook opened out Cornish Reef (so informed) which went 3oz. to the ton, during 1854, the same ground being now included in the present Cornish Company's lease. 7 Daylesford - The auriferous belt is under a mile in width, and can be traced north and south for some miles. It includes the following reefs - Rising Star, Specimen Hill, Colliers, Freeman's or Front reef, Wombat Hill or Cornish (including the Black and Roman Eagle reefs and the Red and Mullocky lodes), Fearnot, Crown, Nuggetty Ajax, St. George, Eugenie, and Hepburn, and Mauritius (Victory) ... It has been a curious feature in the Daylesford district that it has apparently rarely been able to support more than one good dividend-paying mine at a time. These have followed one another in the following succession, Cornish and Specimen Hill (both dividend-paying at the same time), Rising Star, North Cornish, and No. 1 North Cornish. 8 1854: The Mauritius reef, in Kidd's Gully, is said to have been the first reef opened out in 1854. The Cornish was the first to make a show ... 9 1854: In the early days of our gold-fields history all the appliances in use for the working and development of quartz mines and the treatment of ores were of the most simple and primitive 1 Maddicks, Henry T., 100 Years of Daylesford Gold Mining History, p.7 2 Maddicks, Henry T., 100 Years of Daylesford Gold Mining History, p.7 3 Maddicks, Henry T., 100 Years of Daylesford Gold Mining History, p.7 4 Geological Survey of Victoria, Progress Report, 1894,p.15 5 Maddicks, H. T, 1951, p.8 6 Mining Surveyors Reports, June 1889 7 Mining Surveyors Reports, June 1889 8 Geological Survey of Victoria, Progress Report, No. VIII, 1894, p.6 9 Geological Survey of Victoria, Progress Report, No. VIII, 1894, p.6

Download Ebook In Search of King Solomon s Mines: A Modern Adventurer s Quest for Gold and History in the Land of the Queen of Sheba - Populer ebook