New Zealand Memories Issue 157

Create successful ePaper yourself

Turn your PDF publications into a flip-book with our unique Google optimized e-Paper software.


A Family Affair

Springston, situated 26 kilometres south-west of Christchurch,

was settled in the mid-nineteenth century. The general store in

Springston was in the hands of the Dartnall Family for over three

generations; Alec Astle tells their story on page 50.



Dear Readers,

In our striking cover photograph, the Auckland Tramping Club pause at the

Commercial Hotel in Dargaville before continuing onto the Waipoua Forest for

a tramping expedition. It’s interesting to note the outfits in 1928; suit and ties

for men and dresses, coats and hats for the women… and on the back of a truck.

Fashion trends have certainly become more casual over the years. Even moving

forward to 1964, Ralph Levinson writes in his account of Joining the Workforce,

“I owned two white shirts and one pair of shoes – each evening I washed a shirt,

pressed the other and polished my shoes”. Of course it seems contradictory (and

laughable) nowadays that these same men’s formal shirts, ties and black shoes were

combined with ‘dress’ shorts and long socks as summer workplace attire for the office.

And moving on to uniforms of an entirely different variety; who amongst our readers belonged to the Scouting

Movement? Perhaps you attended the same 1959 Jubilee described in David Hill’s article and prepared to ‘Be

Prepared’ no matter what. Man-powered employee Joan Leonard sewed Relax brand raincoats for servicemen

during the war years - not that much relaxing would have been on the cards for World War II soldiers!

Onto other topics, Alec Astle profiles the remarkable Dartnall Family who operated a Canterbury general store

for three generations, Mick Hodder’s remarkable leading story relates to his upbringing in a railway house

during the 1930s and Wendy Clark remembers the ‘night soil man’ on Auckland’s North Shore.

John Stackhouse, an author with a taste for the unusual, is welcomed back with a ‘Whodunnit’ for readers to

puzzle. The intriguing collection of illustrative cartoons gives readers a glimpse of the First World War through

the eyes of a New Zealand soldier.

Nothing beats enjoying a good read on a cold wintry afternoon and our authors have contributed an assortment

of worthy stories in this 157th edition.

Keep warm and stay well,

Wendy Rhodes,


For just $57 you receive four superb

issues of New Zealand Memories

direct to your letterbox.

A G i f t o f D i s t i n c t i o n

Surprise a friend or relative with a gift. We will gift

wrap the first issue, include a gift card with your

personal message and post it direct.

Freephone: 0800 696 366 or

Freepost: 91641

PO Box 17288

Green Lane, Auckland 1546

Email: admin@memories.co.nz

Visit our website w w w.memories.co.nz for back issues and gift ideas.

Order online securely today and pay via internet banking or credit card.



Wendy Rhodes

Graphic Design

Icon Design


David Rhodes

Distributed by

Are Direct

Subscriptions & Enquiries

Phone tollfree: 0800 696 366

Mail: Freepost 91641,

PO Box 17288, Greenlane, Auckland 1546

email: admin@memories.co.nz


$57 for four issues

(Price includes postage within NZ)


Alexander Turnbull Library, Wellington,NZ

Astle, Alec

Auckland Libraries Heritage Collection

Clark, Wendy

Clover, Ken

Dove, Rodney

Hill, David

Hirst, Helen

Hodder Alan


Leonard, Joan

Levinson, Ralph

Nelson Provincial Museum

Paeroa and Districts Historical Society

Pickmere, Alan

Rhodes, Donald

Smith Judith

Smith, Malcolm

Stackhouse, John

Stewart, Graham

Subritzky, Mike

Tairawhiti Museum

Ujdur, S

Veronese-Cowell, Tania

Veronese, Zeff

Waipu Museum

Whakatane District Museum

Opinions: Expressed by contributors are not

necessarily those of New Zealand Memories.

Accuracy: While every effort has been made to

present accurate information, the publishers take no

responsibility for errors or omissions.

Copyright: All material as presented in

New Zealand Memories is copyright to the publishers

or the individual contributors as credited.


Life on the Railways 4

Alan (Mick) Hodder grew up in a railway worker’s cottage in the 1930s.

Scouting Around 8

Off to the Pan-Pacific Jamboree with David Hill.

Ampelio Saves the Pilot 11

A tall but true tale from Zeff Veronese.

There’s No Town Like It! 12

Malcolm Smith taught at Blackball between 1961 and 1963.

Off to Sunday School: Rangiora, 1934 15

Helen Hirst’s introduction to St Mary’s Church.

From the Regions: Coromandel / Bay of Plenty 16

Joining the Workforce 28

Ralph Levinson started work as an insurance clerk in 1964.

Man Powered 34

Joan Leonard helped the war effort in 1944.

Centrefold: When Duty Calls 36

Nelson Troop 4th Contingent photographed on 27 February 1900.

The Great Cartoon ‘Whodunnit’ 38

John Stackhouse solves a World War One puzzle.

The Scows 48

Early New Zealand cargo vessels are examined by John Newsham.

Dartnall Family General Store at Springston 50

Alec Astle follows ninety years of retail ownership.

The Night Soil Collection 56

Wendy Clark discusses a delicate subject.

From the Regions: Northland 58

Reader’s Response 68

Happy 150th Birthday SPCA

Mailbox 69

Index and Genealogy List 70

Editor’s Choice: Snowy Queenstown in 1934 72

ISSN 1173-4159

June/July 2022

Auckland Libraries Heritage Collections 282-471

Cover image:

Members of the Auckland

Tramping Club outside

the Commercial Hotel,

Dargaville c.1928.





Life on the Railways

Alan (Mick) Hodder


grew up on the railway at Whangaehu in the 1930s. Our house was so close to the track that when we

went out the gate, we often found ourselves walking through steam. Trains went by about every two

hours, mainly carrying freight, with one passenger carriage. It was the only means of transport for the

majority of farmers as most didn’t own a car. There were a few Essexes and Fords on the road and, towards

the end of the thirties, a few American cars appeared.

Shopping meant catching the train to Whanganui; heavy items were placed in the guards van, usually by the

supplier, but the rest had to be carried in the passenger carriage (including 25lb bags of flour and 40lb bags

of sugar). Two expresses (the 595 and the 610 from New Plymouth to Wellington) and vice versa were also

regular runs. I remember being on a train going to Whanganui in 1931 when it suddenly stopped and the

guardsman came hurrying through the carriage to see what had happened. There was a shaking… the Hawke’s

Bay earthquake had struck!

Our house was a railway worker’s cottage with no electricity, two water taps (only cold water from both - hot

water had to be heated on the black Orion coal fired range and carried to the kitchen sink) and lighting from a

kerosene lamp in the middle of the table or by candles. Sunday was bath day and the hot water had to be carried

to the wash house, several yards from the back door.



Railway workers were allowed to fence off what was

known as the ‘long acre’, a half mile strip of railway

reserve; one side was the day paddock, the other the

night. We hand milked two or three cows on the long

acre and the milk was separated with the cream being

collected by the factory lorry. We also raised two pigs

each year. Sides of bacon meat hung in the kitchen. A

large vegetable garden included an area for small fruits

(blackcurrants, gooseberry and raspberries) and we also

raised ‘chooks’. Their eggs were preserved in Norton’s

egg mixture in a bucket. Sometimes it worked!

Both the butcher and the baker called once a week,

and a tinker sold material, cottons, buttons and the

like. The tinkers mode of transport, a horse and

wagon, was also his home.

Growing up as boy in the Depression meant you

lived life to the full. Because of lack of company, I hung

about the station and learned how to fold tarpaulins

by watching, then helping, the station master.

One train I remember well was the circus train -

Wirth’s Circus perhaps - that came by. It didn’t stop

at Whangaehu but we watched it as it went by. It was

about a half a mile long, pulled by two AB engines

and pushed by a WW engine. There was a long uphill

section just after Whangaehu around a curved section

which we could see from the station. The trains were

so long and hadn’t enough power to get up the incline,

so they had to disconnect half the wagons, take the

first half up to a siding at Baker ‘s crossing, go back

and collect the rest and take them up and reconnect

the whole train before proceeding on to Fordell. The

WW gave extra power to do the shunting.

My father was in charge of a team of four or five men;

his title was ‘ganger’ and the others were ‘surface men’.

They were responsible for maintaining nine miles of

track which involved chipping weeds and replacing

wooden sleepers. My dad was also responsible for

burying animals caught up by a passing engine. One

day the 3:30 reported running through a mob of sheep

near Ratana. Dad hopped on the hand jigger to go

clean up the mess, but found very little evidence when

he got there. The locals had taken care of it – cheap


The team also carried out minor repairs on the

track. Late one afternoon, while they were unloading

full lengths of rail for a deviation for the new railway

bridge, one went rogue and caught my father’s ankle.

He hobbled home and realized his foot was not right,

so spent most of the night with his foot under the

garden water tap. Using two brooms as crutches, he

got on the first train to Whanganui and came home

with his foot in plaster.

My father regularly checked the tracks, paying

particular attention to the curves. A member of the

family accompanied him on a Saturday bringing home

mushrooms and watercress from the drains on the side

of the rack, and manuka for pea stakes. The buckets

were 4-gallon kerosene cans with the tops cut off and

number 8 wire as handles.

Every now and then steam engines needed to refill

their water tenders from a big water tank next to our

house. The fireman needed to climb up on the tender

to do so. It was amazing how much coal fell off during

this process. Needless to say it didn’t stay on the

ground very long - we kids had friends in high places!

The Whangaehu River was notorious for flooding.

The first flood I remember was in the late 1920s. It

got so bad that Dad and the team laid the piano on

its back on the kitchen table. The task of keeping the

bridge piers clean of debris which often came down

in the floods was a challenge. The only way was to go

down and saw through the offending rubbish to free

the jam. Once one of the gang was standing on a pile

of debris, while trying to clear it, when it gave way

and he was swept downstream clinging to a piece of

rubbish ending up on a sandbank downstream.

My schooling took place about a mile away. There

were two teachers, one for each of the Infants and

Standards. Initially everybody had slates in their desk

with pencils; later we had pens with ink in small china

pots. There was a horse paddock for those who rode to

school, otherwise pupils walked. A plot in the horse

paddock was fenced off for children to grow vegetables

and cow tucker, such as mangles. School attendance

was fairly good. A pink certificate was presented if you

didn’t miss more than five half days in the year. The

famous Dr. Gunn checked over our health yearly.

One form of entertainment was ‘spinning the top’.

A string was wound around the top and then thrown;

success depended a lot on the quality. Some pupils

could keep their top spinning by using a whip. Those

who couldn’t afford to buy one used a pine cone.

Hopscotch was another popular playground game.

Sunday dinner was a major event. There was always

someone from the valley, or fellow railway workers,

as guests. While the railway bridge was being built,

construction workers lived in huts on flatbed wagons

parked in the station yard. One hut was home for a

married man with a wife and two children, and my

mother often had them over for a meal. Imagine

cooking a Sunday roast meal on a coal-fired stove kept

hot by constantly feeding coal! A pudding was always



“A large vegetable garden included an area for small fruits (blackcurrants,

gooseberry and raspberries) and we also raised ‘chooks’. Their eggs were

preserved in Norton’s egg mixture in a bucket. Sometimes it worked!”

served up in those days – on good china and a starched table cloth. My fond memories are of Mum’s apple pies

and rice puddings. We lived well.

There were no fridges. Milk and meat were kept in a metal safe which hung underneath the water tanks. Meals

were prepared in the kitchen, called a scullery. Surplus produce during the growing season was stored in the

scullery for a later date. Every shelf was filled with spare fruit in big Agee preserving jars as well as jams, pickles

and relish in smaller jars with paper tops glued down to seal. Keeping tops on homemade ginger beer was a

problem – the corks had to be tied down with string. Perhaps there might have been a little ‘extra’ in it!

I still have my mother’s recipe book, neatly written in, I think, copper plate style although sadly a little worse

for wear. My granddaughter, who lives in Ottawa, rang recently for my mother’s tomato sauce recipe from the

treasured book. In the back of the book are handy hints recipes for household use:

“Stove polish: turpentine, Zebra paste, black lead, baking soda and ammonia.

Soap making: fat, borax, caustic soda, resin and water.

Floor polish: Lux flakes, CO polish and water.

Repulsing ants: boracic powder, sugar and water.”

Our family left the house by the railway track soon after the 1936 flood, moving into town where we had

electric lights and a flush toilet. And where we could purchase ready-made clothes to replace underwear made

from flour bags.

Growing up on the railway didn’t hurt my sisters and I… we’ve all lived well into our nineties. n



Scouting Around

David Hill

January 1, 1959. Over 120 of us marched off from Napier’s

Tiffen Park, around past Clive Square, towards the Railway

Station. The 14 to17-year-olds were in front, pretty much

in step, thanks to the Army Cadet training we had at high

school. The young ones straggled behind, pretty much not in step.

We wore our khaki shirts with epaulettes and badges, our kneelength

socks with green or scarlet garter tabs, our lemon-sqeezer

hats. Rows of Boy Scouts, on our way to the Pan-Pacific Jamboree,

at Cornwall Park in Auckland.

“Jamboree” means a big gathering of Scouts. It’s a wonderful

word, apparently invented by Lord Baden-Powell, Boer War hero

and founder of Scouting. When asked why he called it that, B-P is

said to have smiled and replied “What else could you call it?”

The week-long 1959 assembly brought 8000-plus Scouts,

Rovers (the senior branch) and Scoutmasters from Australia, the

United Kingdom, Canada, the Pacific, most other countries of

the British Empire – already on its way to becoming the British

Commonwealth. And of course from all over New Zealand.

Eight thousand: it was an astonishing feat of logistics in preemail,

pre-cellphone, unreliable toll-call days. So astonishing, that

we teenagers took it for granted.

We reached the railway station. Peter Tait, Napier’s mayor for

an unprecedented six terms, addressed us, and I apologise for not

remembering a single word His Worship said. We steamed off in a

special train, stopping at Hastings, Waipawa, Waipukurau, Otane,

Norsewood and Dannevirke to pick up more scouts, before a paper

bag tea at Palmerston North. Imagine a passenger train stopping at

those little stations these days. Actually, imagine a passenger train

these days.

I’ve still got my Jamboree Logbook, “With the Compliments

of THE NATIONAL BANK of New Zealand Ltd”. Anyone

remember that name? My spiky, 16-year-old’s handwriting and its

stiff prose shows how much was crammed into the jamboree’s eight


“Crammed” described the train as well. I’d naively asked

my parents “Will there be beds on the train? Should I take my

pyjamas?” Mum and Dad smiled. It was my first experience of

sleeping on an a NZR seat, with all the flexibility and softness of

a park bench.

We reached Greenlane Station at 6 a.m. next day, and marched

about two miles to Smith Sub-Camp, behind the stone walls of

Cornwall Park. My first time in Auckland. My first jamboree. I was

levitating with excitement.

The 8000 were divided into about ten sub-camps, along both

sides of Greenlane Road, around Alexandra and Cornwall Parks.

Each sub-camp was named after a significant person or place in

NZ scouting, and each had a ceremonial gateway.



I have no photos; I had no camera (we’re talking bulky Box Brownies then), but I remember the Aussies’

entrance: a giant bamboo pylon, plus an emu made from ropes’ ends. Another gateway was covered with stags’

heads; a third featured a volcano with a genuine fire on top.

At the March Past and Opening Ceremony, we trooped into Alexandra Park in our youthful thousands. I

carried the Napier Contingent flag, and knew that life couldn’t get more wonderful, even if the lone scout from

Ceylon (as it was still called then) got a bigger cheer than Napier’s 120.

Governor-General and swashbuckling cricketer Lord Cobham spoke to us. So did Prime Minister Walter

Nash and Opposition Leader Keith Holyoake, and I apologise again, but I can’t remember a word any of those

distinguished gents said, either. But I do recall being struck by the PM’s gravelly Birmingham voice, and Kiwi

Keith’s broad NZ vowels, while the Gov-Gen sounded just like a BBC newsreader.

All through the Jamboree, the official programme kept us busy. There was a Scouts’ Own Church Service on

the slopes of One Tree Hill, lit by hundreds of torches. There were presentations and performances by every

district. Otago re-enacted the Relief of Mafeking, which made Baden-Powell into a national hero. Fiji did “a

spear dance”, in my logbook’s unimaginative words. The Sea Scouts showed the history of whaling in New

Zealand. There were displays by Girl Guides, Brownies, The Boy’s Brigade. (Who recalls that lively, Christianbased

youth organisation?)

We were given free entry to the stock-car racing at Alexandra Park, and my logbook eagerly noted that “one

car turned over and caught alight”. Buses took us to the Auckland Museum, from where I saw the almostcompleted

span of the Harbour Bridge.

The campsite at the Pan Pacific Scout Jamboree in Cornwall Park, Auckland in January 1959.

Courtesy: Auckland Libraries Heritage Collections 1207-639


Alexander Turnbull Library, Wellington, NZ. Ref: Eph-A-WAR-SA-1900-04-cover


When Duty Calls

Nelson Troop 4th Contingent photographed on 27 February 1900 by Henry Brusewitz. The six riflemen in

military uniform prepare to serve King and Country in the South African (Boer) War (11 October 1899

to 31 May 1902). To qualify as a mounted rifleman, each candidate needed to be in good physical health,

an accomplished horse rider and, if possible, own his own horse. The photographer, Swedish-born Henry

Brusewitz, worked from premises in Waimea Street (now Rutherford Street) Nelson in 1900.

Nelson Provincial Museum Pupuri Taonga o Te Tai Ao. HBZ 6x8 703 4th Contingent 27 2 1900 30296R~1 riflemen on horse.



The Great Cartoon


John Stackhouse

Hiscocks or Prain?

Who was the artist who penned these cartoons in the Great War to end All Wars?

A set of World War One cartoons caught my eye recently, all unsigned and advertised as by an unknown artist.

The smell of a story and a challenge could not be resisted, so I managed to secure a number of the black and

white originals.

There were many clues and, even better, there were self-portraits. Not quite as good as 21st century CCTV

footage, but there he is, pipe between his teeth, ink pot by his foot, hair swept up and a disgruntled look. He had

a distinctive drawing style, progressive for the time, as I learnt through research. But for all the information, who

was he? After much comparison of known, signed drawings by New Zealand cartoonists, it came down to two

names, Hiscocks or Prain? Prain or Hiscocks? A sort of cartoonist’s ‘whodunnit’.

Well, here is the evidence. What are your thoughts?

A set of cartoons

World War One was reported widely, as no other war

had been before. Not only did this happen through

the press and official government channels, but also

through the letters, postcards and photographs of

the ‘everyday’ soldier who was involved. This, at the

time, was an ‘information wave’ when compared to

reporting and recording of past conflicts.

A generally overlooked record was also being made

by cartoonists, often serving as ordinary soldiers, who

took pencils, pens, ink and paper as essential items

with them and recorded their war. They give us a

very different glimpse of war for the ordinary soldier

but their day-to-day records in the form of their own

personal cartoons, seldom surface. Their personal

cartoons mostly remained unsigned and unpublished.

In the case of those illustrating this article, it seems

all but one are ‘working sketches’, the basis for more

detailed cartoons and illustrations to be completed at a

later date. In just a few sketched lines cartoonists told

their unique, visual stories.

Originally there were over twenty cartoons as a

group, but I did not manage to purchase them all.

The twenty covered aspects of the trip to England via

Egypt, a couple of figures sketched in Panama, some

in Egypt, his time in England and on the Western

Front. There most probably were many more than

these at one time.

This article gives a glimpse of the life of two New

Zealand cartoonists actively serving in World War

One and includes a small sample of a unique, personal

record of war.

These men were:

2/314 Gunner Eceldoune Frederick Hiscocks,

born ‘May 1881’ in Australia to English parents.

Noted as ‘horse breaker’. That is what Fred Hiscocks

told the recruiters behind the army recruitment desk

on 21 August 1914 when he went from his home in

Seatoun to Wellington city to enlist. Much of the

information given was correct. However, he was in

fact born on 19 April 1879 and he was at the time of

enlistment a well-known New Zealand cartoonist. But

because of his age, old for a recruit at the time, and his

occupation of cartoonist, not a skill sought after by the

army to defeat the Kaiser’s ambitions, Fred Hiscocks

decided to change a detail or two in his favour.

So his life began as a gunner in the New Zealand

artillery, a somewhat different occupation to that of

one of New Zealand’s leading cartoonists. Off with the

‘Main Body’ of the New Zealand Expeditionary Force

to Gallipoli in October 1914 and then to France. He

remained in England after the war and worked as a

cartoonist for a variety of publications and drew for

early animated cartoons.

24/1520 Lance Corporal George Gordon Prain

was born in Dunedin in 1892 into an early Otago

pioneer family. The eldest boy of four he also had

one sister. His mother died pre-war, his father dying

unexpectedly in October 1914, tragedy seeming

to striking the Prain family regularly. Brother

Harry, badly wounded 8 August 1915 in the Otago

Regiment’s actions on Chunuk Bair, Gallipoli, died

in an accident at Levin in 1922. Another brother,



It’s not easy being a cartoonist at war!



Alexander, was killed in action on the Somme, 15 September 1916, also a member of the Otago Regiment.

George’s youngest brother, Robert, was just too young for active service. George was also wounded in June

1918, but fully recovered.

George left for the war as a member of the 8th Reinforcements in late 1915, a short stop in Egypt and then

to France as a member of the New Zealand Rifle Brigade. He returned to New Zealand and made his mark as a

cartoonist in New Zealand and Australian publications.

The Challenges of Cartoonists at War.

As shown in the previous cartoon set (on page 39), this cartoonist did persevere with his cartooning under

what would have been very varied and challenging circumstances through years of war. Although he clearly

abandoned his short-lived pursuit of a History of the Great War, he did, however, leave a valuable record of war

in his distinctive style.

The Western Front: Making the Best of it!

The artist’s reintroduction to France was the same as many of New

Zealand’s soldiers, via the camp at Etaples, in Picardy. Then on to

the Somme. The New Zealanders became well known, maybe even

notorious, to the French for a variety of reasons. The cartoonist was

certain the French would remember the New Zealanders long after

the war had ended.

In fact he goes on to provide a design for a proposed monument (at

right) to the New Zealanders to be erected in Picardy.

(‘Onward N.Z.’, as noted on the plinth of the proposed monument,

were the words on the New Zealand Expeditionary Force badge worn

on New Zealand uniforms.)



Although clearly an amusing jibe at the pomposity of many monuments to the rich, famous and their deeds,

this figure embodies the tone of the artist’s cartoons at this time. They highlight the ordinary New Zealand

soldier trying day to day to make the best of an often quite dismal existence. To the artist the New Zealand

soldier was a resourceful realist. The French of Picardy admired the New Zealanders as soldiers but were often

the ‘victims’ of his resourcefulness, as many a chicken owner knew all too well!

By contrast George Prain designed a 1918 Christmas Card for the New Zealand Rifle Brigade. It contrasts in

context sharply with the cartoon below. In 1916, the war was a seemingly never ending blood and mud bath.

By Christmas 1918, the war had ended, hope was returning.

Christmas and New Year soon arrived, dismal weather

after the bloodbaths of the Battles of the Somme. This

was the worst winter in Europe for decades. The artist

turned his thoughts towards Christmas and New Year.

His ‘Design for a Xmas Card’ encapsulates his thoughts

of Christmas for the men at the Front... not a cheerful

scene. It is a very apt interpretation as the men on

the Western Front struggled to gain any cheer from a

freezing, wet Christmas in the trenches.

The men admired the artillery observers who hung

precariously in baskets below very vulnerable observation

balloons, but they certainly didn’t envy them. German

gunfire and aeroplanes often wreaked havoc on the

balloons, but at least the observer had a parachute to help

him escape harm, a ‘luxury’ the men of the air force at the

time did not have. The cartoonist recorded an instance of a

lucky observer who jumped for his life amidst the German

shrapnel shell bursts.




ABLE Mr & Mrs 55

Ahipara 59

ALPS Mr & Mrs 55

animal welfare 68

Aratapu 67

Army Cadets 8

Army Camp (Opua) 62

Arthur Skelton's Band 32

artist 13

Auckland 8,28

Auckland Bus Co. 28

Auckland City 29

Auckland Tramping Club 66

Awanui Beach 58


babies (district nurse) 60

BANKS Sir Joseph 16

Barwick's Auction Mart 69

Battenburg cake 30

Bay of Islands 62

Bay of Plenty 24

BAYLDON Francis 17

BIGGS Mr & Mrs 55

BIRCHALL Deaconess 15

Blackball 12

Blackball mine 12

Blackball School 12

Boer War 36

Boy Scouts 8


Brown's Mill 31


Burlington Tea Rooms 30

bushman's camp 26



Canterbury 50

cartoonist 38

cartoons 38


Chandris Line 33

Christchurch 52


coal (Blackball) 13


Commercial Hotel (Dargaville) 66

commuting (Auckland) 28

COOK Capt. James 16

cooking (coal range) 7

Cornwall Park 8

Coromandel 17

Coronation Hotel 65

Croations 66

Cruickshank, Miller & Co. 31

Crystal Palace 32


dance venues 32

Dargaville 66

DARROCH Davey 48

DARTNALL Arthur 51

Audrey 52

Clement 51

Cyril 52

Edmund 50

Henry 50

Henry Lloyd 51

DARTNALL Henry Martin 52

Howard 50

Lucy 50

Mabel 52

Neville 52

Pauline 52

Percy 51

Sarah 51

William 1,50

Winifred 52

Dartnall & Co. 51

Dartnall & McMeekan 51

Dartnall Bros. 52

department stores (Auckland) 31

Depression 6

District Nurse 60

dog registration (1898) 61

dog tax' 61

Doyleston 50

DUDLEY Archdeacon B.W. 15

DUFTY Todd 20

DUSKY Mrs 15

DYSON William 46


EARP George 19

EBAN Mr 56

education 6

effluent 56


emigartion 19

emigrant's clothing 19

employment 28

essential industry (WWII) 34


Fairbairne Wright & Co. 52

farming (Thames) 20

fashion (1960s) 32

Flagstaff Hill (Russell) 63

flax milling 20

food delivery 54


Evelina 11

fortified village 27

Fortress Bay of Islands 62

FRIZZEL Mabel 52


Galaxie 32

Gallipoli 38

ganger (railway) 6

General Store 1,50

George Roy Ltd 50

George Walker Ltd 31

gold diggers 19

goldfields 18,23

government forces (1898) 61

GREEN Audrey 52

Greenlane 8

groceries 54

Guardian Assurance 28

gumdiggers 66

GUNN Doctor 6


HAMILTON Laurie 50

hand tools 30

handy hints 7

Hauraki Plains 20

Hawke's Bay Earthquake 5

HAWKES Wayne 32

HIRST Helen 15

Joan 15

HISCOCKS Eceldoine Frederick 38

HOGAN Edward 56

HOLLAND Nathaniel 16


horse teams 23

horses (Boer War) 36

HOSKIN Ernie 53

HOWARD John 50

Hutt Valley High School 69

hymns 15


insurance clerk 28

IVORY Winifred 52


J. Evans & Sons 59

J.J. McCaskey & Son 34

Jamboree 8

Jamboree logbook 8

JANES Terry 68



Karaka Creek 18

kauri gum 59

Kelston Boys' High School 28

KEMP Thomas Samual 62

Kerepehi 20

KING Marcus 63

Kohukohu 64

Kohukohu arch bridge 63

Kororareka 63



Lake Okataina 27

Leo O'Malley Menswear 32


Lerry's Rebels 32


Lucky Hit gold mine 18


machining work 35

Maclean Bros. 65

MAHN Harvey 33

Mahurangi River 49

Man Power regulations 34

Man Power Scheme 34

Mangawhare 67

Mangonui 60

Maraehaka Harbour 26

marching team 35

MARICIC Josip 66


MARTIN Henry 52

McCRAE Robert 28

McKAY Alexander 60

McMEEKAN Robert 51

McWILLIAM Charles 50

MEIKLEJOHN Septimus 49

merchandise (store) 53

Mercury Bay 17

Milford 32

Milne & Choyce 32



Miner's Right 19

Monaco 32


Montgomery's Hotel 23

Mount Maunganui 24

MRZLJAK Josip 66


Napier 8

NASH Walter 9

Nelson 36

Nelson Troop 4th Contingent 36

NGAPUA Hone Heke 61

NICCOL George 48

night service truck 56

night soil 56

night soil collection 56

North Shore (Auckland) 56

North Shore Drainage Board 56

Northcote Council 56

Northern Maori 61

Northern Wairoa 67

Northland 58


Northwood Bros. 60

Norton's egg mixture 6

NZ Expditionary Force 38

NZ Medical Corp 52


O'NEILL Dorina 11

Mick 11

Ohinemuri 23

Omaha 48

Opua 62

Orange Hall 32

Orete 26

Oriental Ballroom 32

Orion coal range 5

Otago Regiment (WWII) 38

Owharoa Hotel 23


pa 17,27

Paeroa 23

PAGE George 53

Pan Pacific Scout Jamboree 9

Parker 45 fountain pen 28


Passchendaele 42

Patetonga 20

Peter Pan Ballroom 32


Piako River 21

PleaZers 32

PRAIN Alexander 38

George Gordon 38

Harry 38

Robert 40

Public Work's Dept 62


Queenstown 72


RADCLIFFE Frederick 63

RAE Phyllis 13

Rahotu School 13

railway 5,8,20,28

railway workers 6

railway workers' cottage 5

Rangiora 15

Rawene 61

Ray Columbus 32

retailer (Springston) 50

Richmond 50

riflemen 36

Rotorua 27

RULE Mr W.H. 50

Russell 62

Rustic Camp (Dargaville) 66


Salked & Co. 50

SALKELD Walton 50

Salkeld, Howard & Dartnall 50

school leaver 28


Scouts 8

scows 48

Seddon Richard John 24

Selwyn 50


shipping Arrag-na-Pogue 48

Australis 33

Dungarven 48

Eclipse 48

Eunice 48

Hawk 48

HMS Endeavour 16

Jane Gifford 49

Kiatia 48

Korara 48

Lake Erie 49

Makarau 48

Ngahau 48

Owhiti 49

Pandora 64

Pirate 49

Scout 48

Southern Isle 48

Surprise 48

Ted Ashby 49

Vesper 48

Zingara 49

shipping (Northland) 59


SMEELE Peter 31

SMITH Des 68

SMITH Judith 12

Malcolm 12

SMITH Norman 32

SOKOLIC Bogoslav 66

South African War 36

Southbrook 15


SPCA Tauranga 68

spinning tops 6

Springston 1,50

St Mary's (Southbrook)





storekeeper (Springston) 50

SUBRITZKY Capt. Henry 59

Dorothy 59

Sunday School 15

surface men (railway) 6

Surfside (Milford) 32


Tai Tung Restaurant 32

TAIT Peter 8

Takapuna Beach 49

Tauranga 25

Tauranga SPCA 68

Tauranga Town Hall 25


telegraph bureau 54

Thames 18

The La De Das 32

THOMPSON Joseph 50

timber industry 20

TOIA Hone Riiwi 61

TOMKINS Sarah 51

Totara North 49

tourism (Rotorua) 27

Traey of Waitangi 63

train AB engine 6

travelling shop 55

TURNER Bill 23

Turua 20

Turua Mill 20

TYNAN Dorothy 59

John 59

Tynan's gum store 59


uniforms (WWII) 35


VERONESE Dorina 11

Zeff 11

Victoria Arcade 30

violin maker (Auckland) 32


Waihi 24

Waihopo 59

Waikato Battery 23

Waikino 23

Waipoua 66

Waipu 65

Wairoa River 67

Waitakere railway line 28

Wakefield 50

war effort (WWII) 34

Warkworth 49

weighing babies 60

West Auckland 28

Western Front (WWII) 40

Westland 12

Whakarewarewa 27

Whakatane 26

Whangaehu 5

Whanganui 5,34

Wharf Store (Mangonui) 60

Whitcombe & Tombs 31

Wirth's Circus 6

World War One 38,52

World War Two 11,34,62

WRIGHT Henry 18




Each issue of New Zealand

Memories contains an index

and, in keeping with genealogy

ideals, all surnames of

individuals are listed in capitals.



Snowy Queenstown 1934

Ballarat and Camp Streets, Queenstown taken by a New Zealand Herald photographer in 1934

Auckland Libraries Heritage Collection 1370--645-11


Hooray! Your file is uploaded and ready to be published.

Saved successfully!

Ooh no, something went wrong!