Views
5 years ago

Chapter Five 1999 Post-Elections Period - Leicester Research ...

Chapter Five 1999 Post-Elections Period - Leicester Research ...

93 Of the 199 paragraphs

93 Of the 199 paragraphs coded in the newspapers corpus, 45 were categorised as primarily addressing the issue of leadership, and how this could impact on governance in the coming five years. These paragraphs represented 22.6% of the total 199 paragraphs. They were drawn from 22 articles representing 25.6% of the 86 in the newspapers corpus (See Table 4.1). The last frame in the newspapers corpus had 32 of the 199 paragraphs. These were coded from 25 of the 86 articles in the newspapers corpus. Similar to its counter-part in the parliamentary corpus, it was also labelled as the Governance Frame (See Table 4.1) Table 4.1: Newspaper Frames detected in the 1994 newspapers‟ corpus and their frame components breakdown. Newspaper Frames Articles Frame Components Paragraphs Unity Frame BNL Newspapers 29 (32.5%) Nation/Chronicle 10 (11.6%) Total 39(44.1%) Problem Definition 43 (35.2%) Causal Interpretation 14 (11.5%) Moral Evaluation 32 (26.2%) Treatment Recommend. 33 (27%) Total 122 (100%) Leadership Frame BNL Newspapers 13 (15.1%) Nation/Chronicle 9 (10.5%) Total 22 (25.6%) Problem Definition 18 (40%) Causal Interpretation 9 (20%) Moral Evaluation 18 (40%) Total 45 (100%) Governance Frame BNL Newspapers 8 (9.3%) Nation/Chronicle 17 (19.7%) Total 25 (29.0%) Problem Definition 15 (46.9%) Causal Interpretation 6 (18.8%) Moral Evaluation 11 (34.4%) Total 32 (100%) 86(100%) 199(100%) .

94 The parliamentary corpus consisted of 80 parliamentary speeches. From these speeches, 151 paragraphs were coded. These yielded three frames. Of these three, one was similar to the newspapers‟ Unity Frame mentioned above. It claimed 82 paragraphs of the 151 paragraphs coded out of 31 of the 80 speeches in this corpus (See Table 4.2). As with its counterpart in the newspapers corpus, this frame was also labelled as the Unity Frame. Table 4.2: Parliamentary Frames detected in the 1994 parliamentary corpus and their frame components breakdown. Parliamentary Frames Speeches Frames Components Paragraphs Unity Frame MCP/AFORD Alliance 24 (30%) UDF 7 (8.8%) Total 31 (38.8%) Problem Definition 9 (10.9%) Causal Interpretation 43 (52.4%) Treatment Recommend. 30 (36.6%) Total 82 (100%) Governance Frame MCP/AFORD Alliance 9 (11.3%) UDF 26 (32.5%) Total 35 (43.8%) Problem Definition 14 (35.9%) Causal Interpretation 14 (35.9%) Moral Evaluation 11 (28.2%) Total 39 (100%) Failed Govt. Frame MCP/AFORD Alliance 5 (6.3%) UDF 9 (11.3%) Total 14 (17.6%) Prob.Def./Causal Inter. 17 (56.7%) Moral Evaluation 13 (43.3%) Total 30 (100%) 80 (100%) 151 (100%) The second largest frame in the National Assembly corpus was derived from 39 paragraphs of the 151 paragraphs which were categorised as primarily addressing the

Chapter 4 Sexual Content in Soap Operas - Leicester Research ...
iieiiei1eWrkers - Leicester Research Archive - University of Leicester
NOVEL RESVERATROL ANALOGUES - Leicester Research ...
t he display of archaeology - Leicester Research Archive - University ...