Views
5 years ago

Chapter Five 1999 Post-Elections Period - Leicester Research ...

Chapter Five 1999 Post-Elections Period - Leicester Research ...

137 though the question

137 though the question of ownership was awaiting adjudication, the MCP continued to manage the BNL newspapers. This chapter will argue that the BNL stable continued with its anti-UDF editorial position. 5.2 Editorial Frames The newspapers corpus in the 1999 case study had 51 articles. Of these 13, were drawn from the NPL newspapers. Thirty were drawn from the BNL newspapers and the remaining eight were drawn from the Chronicle. Coding in the newspaper editorials corpus resulted in 145 paragraphs coded. Further categorisation resulted in three frames. The first of these was the Unity Frame. This frame had 59 coded paragraphs representing 40.7% of the 145 coded paragraphs. The frame was drawn from 21 articles out of the 51 in the corpus representing 41.2% of the total articles. Just as in the previous case study, the Unity Frame emerged out of the manifest regional and tribal preferences of the voters. The emergence of this frame was further fuelled by the violence that rocked Malawi in the first week following the announcement of the elections results (See Table 5.1). The second frame was the Electoral Process Frame. It had 51of the 145 paragraphs in the newspapers corpus representing 35.2% of the coded paragraphs. These paragraphs were drawn from 18 articles out of the 51 in the corpus representing 35.3%. The Electoral Process Frame was derived from the perceived mismanagement of the election by the MEC. The frame tended to discuss this mismanagement and how it would affect democracy and governance in the country (See Table 5.1). This frame was mainly driven by the BNL newspapers and the Chronicle. The NPL newspapers only provided counter-arguments which basically rejected the premise of the frame that the UDF and the MEC had colluded to mismanage the election.

138 Table 5.1: Summary of Editorial Frames in the 1999 post-elections case study Frames Unity Frame Articles Frame Components Paragraphs BNL Newspapers/Chronicle 14 (27.5%) NPL Newspapers 7 (13.7%) Total 21(41.2%) Problem Definition 18 (30.5%) Causal Interpretation 3 (5.1%) Moral Eval./Treat. Rec. 38 (64.4%) Total 59 (100%) Electoral Process Frame BNL Newspapers/Chronicle 12 (23.5%) NPL Newspapers 6 (11.7%) Total 18 (35.2%) Consequences Frame BNL Newspapers/Chronicle 12 (23.5%) Problem Definition 20 (39.2%) Causal Interpretation 8 (15.7%) Moral Evaluation 9 (17.6%) Treatment Rec. 14 (27.5%) Total 51 (100%) Problem Definition 16 (45.7%) Moral Evaluation 15 (42.8%) Treatment Rec. 11 (31.4%) Total 35 (100%) 51 (100%) 145 The third frame was the Consequences Frame which was drawn from 12 articles representing 23.5% of the 51 articles in the corpus. Thirty-five paragraphs were coded from these 12 articles representing 24.1% of all the 145 coded paragraphs in this corpus. The Consequences Frame was mainly driven by the BNL newspapers and the Chronicle. It tended to be negative towards the re-elected UDF government and its leadership. The following sub-sections discuss these frames in full (See Table 5.1). This will include a descriptive discussion of the frames individually. This will then be

Chapter 4 Sexual Content in Soap Operas - Leicester Research ...
iieiiei1eWrkers - Leicester Research Archive - University of Leicester
NOVEL RESVERATROL ANALOGUES - Leicester Research ...
t he display of archaeology - Leicester Research Archive - University ...