Views
5 years ago

Chapter Five 1999 Post-Elections Period - Leicester Research ...

Chapter Five 1999 Post-Elections Period - Leicester Research ...

185 was drawn from 30

185 was drawn from 30 articles representing 40% of the 75 articles in the corpus. Due to overlaps, problem definitions and causal interpretations were combined to form one component with 18 coded paragraphs representing 23.4% of the coded paragraphs in this frame. The moral evaluations component consisted of 28 (36.4%) coded paragraphs while the treatment recommendation component consisted of 31 (40.2%) of the 77. As in the Leadership Frame, the newspapers were in general editorial agreement about the challenges facing the nation. This is why all the positions of the newspapers are discussed together. The parliamentary Challenges Frame was drawn from 26 of the 66 speeches in the corpus representing 40% from which 50 paragraphs were coded. The problem definition component had six coded paragraphs representing 12% of the 50 while the moral evaluation component had 5 (10%) of the 50 coded paragraphs. In the newspapers corpus, the problem definition was dominated by an analysis that focused on corruption as the main reason for economic decline during the first ten years of the Second Republic under the UDF and Bakili Muluzi. In nine coded paragraphs, the newspapers charged that corruption was endemic in the country and extended corruption to include fraud, nepotism and favouritism accusing the government of former president Bakili Muluzi of practicing all this (See Table 6.7). The writer of an editorial in the Malawi News (2004b, p.2) observed: . . . we applaud the steps so far taken by President Bingu wa Mutharika to stamp out corruption and bring to book anyone who at some point was involved in the unfortunate act. Of the 18 paragraphs in the problem definition, another nine linked lack of fiscal discipline and incompetent government to corruption as core problems with the outgoing administration of Muluzi (See Table 6.7). The newspapers were more

186 nuanced pinpointing problem areas such as declining education standards and inefficiency in the civil service which also included lack of fiscal discipline. For example, the Daily Times (2004b, p.2) blamed the former government for lack of accountability in its financial dealings: “It would appear that dishonesty was readily rewarded . . .” This accusation was extended to the previous parliament which was described as lacking the will to hold the UDF government accountable (Malawi News, 2004c, p.2). The Daily Times (2004c, p.2) argued: Muluzi‟s lavish behaviour of throwing out handouts to people who have done no work at all killed the spirit of hardwork that Dr. Kamuzu Banda inculcated in Malawians. Table 6.7: Problem Definitions in the Challenges Frames Problem Definitions Presenters Paragraphs Articles Endemic corruption BNL 4 (22.2%) 4 Chronicle 2 (11.1%) 2 NPL 3 (16.7%) 3 Total 9 (50%) 9 Lack of fiscal discipline due to incompetent government Chronicle 2 (11.1%) 2 NPL 2 (11.1%) 2 BNL 3 (16.7%) 3 Chronicle 2 (11.1%) 2 Total 9 (50%) 9 18 (100%) 18 Problem Definitions Presenters Paragraphs Speeches Deteriorating government services MCP 3 (12.5%) 3 MGODE 3 (12.5%) 3 Total 6 (25%) 6 6 (100%) 6 In this respect, the newspapers observation was in accord with observations made in the National Assembly. All six problem definitions in the National Assembly focused on the problem of deteriorating government services due to a corrupt and incompetent government since the UDF took over in 1994 (See Table 6.7). In the parliamentary

Chapter 4 Sexual Content in Soap Operas - Leicester Research ...
iieiiei1eWrkers - Leicester Research Archive - University of Leicester
NOVEL RESVERATROL ANALOGUES - Leicester Research ...
t he display of archaeology - Leicester Research Archive - University ...