Views
5 years ago

Chapter Five 1999 Post-Elections Period - Leicester Research ...

Chapter Five 1999 Post-Elections Period - Leicester Research ...

187 corpus, the MPs

187 corpus, the MPs accused the former UDF government of letting government services deteriorate including health services as the MCP MP, Zaipa (2004, p.30) observed: “. . . our health services are in shambles . . .” The Republican Party MP, Nkhwazi (2004, p.37) argued that education standards had deteriorated: “Education standards in our country have really gone down.” The MCP MP, Chilunjika (2004) argued: “I think what was poor in the past 10 years was the leader, the government and its leadership (Noise).” Table 6.8: Moral Evaluations in the Challenges Frame Moral Evaluations Presenters Paragraphs Articles The government must be accountable BNL 2 (7.1%) 2 The government must be competent BNL 2 (7.1%) 2 NPL 2 (7.1%) 2 Chronicle 3 (10.7%) 3 Total 9 (32%) 9 The government must consult NPL 3 (10.8%) 3 BNL 3 (10.8%) 3 Total 6 (21.4%) 6 The nation wants the government to succeed BNL 2 (7.1%) 2 NPL 3 (10.9%) 3 Total 5 (17.8%) 5 The government must fight corruption Chronicle 4 (14.2%) 4 NPL 4 (14.2%) 4 Total 8 (28.4%) 8 Total 28 (100%) Moral Evaluations Presenters Paragraphs Speeches Acknowledge Kamuzu/Muluzi‟s achievements MCP 3 (60%) 3 UDF 2 (40%) 2 Total 5 (100%) 5 The moral evaluations and treatment recommendations for this frame in both the parliamentary corpus and the newspapers corpus focused on improving the efficiency and accountability of government. Further, both corpora focused on fighting corruption as a treatment recommendation for recovering the economy (See Table 6.8 above).

188 Table 6.9: Treatment Recommendations in the Challenges Frame Treatment Recommendations Presenters Paragraphs Articles Investigate corruption BNL 3 (9.7%) 3 Chronicle 2 (6.5%) 2 NPL 2 (6.5%) 2 Total 7 (22.7%) 7 Parliament must hold government accountable BNL 3 (9.7%) 3 NPL 4 (12.9%) 4 Total 7 (22.6%) 7 Competent appointments BNL 3 (9.7%) 3 NPL 3 (9.7%) 3 Total 6 (19.4%) 6 The govt. must exercise financial prudence BNL 4 (12.9%) 4 Chronicle 4 (12.9%) 3 NPL 3 (9.7%) 3 Total 11 (35.5%) 11 31(100%) 31 Treatment Recommendations Presenters Paragraphs Speech Commercial farming and farm inputs subsidies MCP 3 (7.7%) 3 PPM 4 (10.3%) 4 RP 3 (7.7%) 3 Total 10 (25.7%) 10 Fiscal discipline & improve economic management Independent 4 (10.3%) 4 MCP 3 (7.7%) 3 MGODE 4 (10.3%) 3 PPM 3 (7.7%) 3 Total 14 (36%) 14 Fight against corruption Independent 5 (12.8%) 4 PPM 3 (7.7%) 3 MGODE 3 (7.7%) 3 RP 4 (10.3%) 4 Total 15 (38.5%) 14 39 (100%) 38 In the newspapers corpus, of the 28 coded paragraphs coded to the moral evaluation component, nine focused on improving the competence of government and twenty focused on increasing accountability in government. Eight focused on fighting corruption.

Chapter 4 Sexual Content in Soap Operas - Leicester Research ...
iieiiei1eWrkers - Leicester Research Archive - University of Leicester
NOVEL RESVERATROL ANALOGUES - Leicester Research ...
t he display of archaeology - Leicester Research Archive - University ...