23.06.2026 Views

Old Glenbrook Railway Tunnel - A diverse history by Ireen Lark

Ireen Lark writes about 'Conquering the Blue Mountains 1867-1892' Crossing the Blue Mountains in the 1800s was a major feat for both bullock and horse-drawn wagons, so when a single-track railway was built from Penrith to Weatherboard (now Wentworth Falls) in July 1867, this was hailed as a triumph of engineering. The man responsible for bringing the Great Western Line over the mountains was Chief Engineer for NSW Railways, John Whitton. His achievements included the construction of the impressive sandstone viaduct over Knapsack Gully at Lapstone, the cuttings of the Lapstone Zig-Zag and later in 1892, one of Australia’s oldest railway tunnels at Watertank (now Glenbrook). Created by Ireen Lark - 2015 @AskRozBlueMountains #AskRozBlueMountains

Ireen Lark writes about 'Conquering the Blue Mountains 1867-1892'

Crossing the Blue Mountains in the 1800s was a major feat for both bullock and horse-drawn wagons, so when a single-track railway was built from Penrith to Weatherboard (now Wentworth Falls) in July 1867, this was hailed as a triumph of engineering. The man responsible for bringing the Great Western Line over the mountains was Chief Engineer for NSW Railways, John Whitton. His achievements included the construction of the impressive sandstone viaduct over Knapsack Gully at Lapstone, the cuttings of the Lapstone Zig-Zag and later in 1892, one of Australia’s oldest railway tunnels at Watertank (now Glenbrook).

Created by Ireen Lark - 2015

@AskRozBlueMountains #AskRozBlueMountains

SHOW MORE
SHOW LESS

Transform your PDFs into Flipbooks and boost your revenue!

Leverage SEO-optimized Flipbooks, powerful backlinks, and multimedia content to professionally showcase your products and significantly increase your reach.

OLD GLENBROOK

RAILWAY TUNNEL

A DIVERSE

HISTORY

BY IREEN LARK


Conquering the Blue Mountains 1867-1892

Crossing the Blue Mountains in the 1800s was a major feat for both bullock and horse

drawn wagons so when a single track railway was built from Penrith to Weatherboard

(now Wentworth Falls) in July 1867 this was hailed a triumph of engineering. The man

responsible for bringing the Great Western Line over the mountains was Chief Engineer

for NSW Railways John WhiOon. His achievements included construcQon of the

impressive sandstone viaduct over Knapsack Gully at Lapstone, the cuTngs of the

Lapstone Zig-Zag and later in 1892, one of Australia’s oldest railway tunnels at

Watertank (now Glenbrook).

Westbound train crossing Lapstone Viaduct

Engineer WhiOon was confronted with the steep escarpment slope at Lapstone on

the eastern side of the Great Dividing Range. His plan iniQally was to tunnel through

Lapstone Hill but due to budget constraints this was not possible. The slope up

Lapstone Hill was inclined at 1 in 33 and too steep for 19 th century locomoQves to climb


in one stretch so a zig-zag or switch-back was WhiOon’s soluQon to the dilemma of

geTng a railway line successfully into the Blue Mountains. How the Lapstone Zig-Zag

worked is as follows - the upper and lower ‘points’ extended beyond the central arm.

A train approached along the lower arm and conQnued unQl the last carriage was

beyond the intersecQon. The BoOom Points were then switched to the central arm

track and the locomoQve pushed the train backwards up the angled secQon unQl the

train was clear of the top arm. The Top Points were then switched and the train

proceeded on its way. With a good signals team switching the tracks at the appropriate

Qmes, the whole procedure could be carried out in 20 minutes.

Sketch of the Lapstone Zig-Zag -- note the ‘Points’ had to extend long enough to cater for the full length

of the train.

Lucasville Pla`orm was built at the Top Points level of the Lapstone Zig-Zag because

the Minister for Mines, John Lucas, needed convenient access to his holiday coOage on

the escarpment. The coOage no longer exists but the pla`orm and steps to the coOage

can sQll be seen today.

The Lapstone Zig-Zag however, was relaQvely short lived due to the problems it

posed. In 1876 when the railway was extended to Bathurst, train Qmes were slow due

to the increase in traffic. The Qme consuming reversal of trains up and down the zigzag

caused a boOleneck at the Top and BoOom points and the length of the zig-zag

configuraQon also limited the length of trains. The single track meant that trains

travelling in opposite direcQons had to stop at crossing points, the first ader Lapstone

Zig-Zag being Wascoe’s siding (near Glenbrook). The single track also contributed to a


fatal accident at Emu Plains in 1878 where eastbound and westbound goods trains

collided.

As a result of the problems associated with the zig-zag it wasn’t long before WhiOon’s

dream of a tunnel on the escarpment was revisited and the Lapstone Zig-Zag was

eventually bypassed when the first Glenbrook Tunnel deviaQon was opened in 1892.

Lapstone Viaduct

Today popular walking tracks through the bush at Glenbrook Reserve along the path

taken by the railway lead to the Lapstone Zig-Zag, Lucasville Pla`orm, the Knapsack

Gully Lapstone Viaduct and a memorial to Engineer John WhiOon who was dubbed

‘Father of the NSW Railways’.


John Whitton Engineer in Chief for the Railways

‘Father of the NSW Railways’

Lapstone Viaduct under construction c1863

Lapstone Viaduct


Lapstone Viaduct showing Top Points & ‘Lucasville’ 1860-1870

Knapsack Signal Cabin 1908-1913 Lapstone Viaduct 1908-1913


Bottom Points Lapstone 1870


Construction of Old Glenbrook Tunnel 1891 to 1892

In 1891 the decision was made to build a tunnel bypassing the Lapstone Zig Zag and

construcQon of the deviaQon tunnel through Lapstone Hill commenced in April 1891.

This single rail tunnel was part of the first aOempt to deviate from the Lapstone Zig-Zag

Railway. The line of the tunnel and its approaches were designed to form an elegant

S-shape starQng at the BoOom Points of Lapstone Zig-Zag and conQnuing into a gully

before entering the 660.3 metre long tunnel on a conQnuous 1 in 33 gradient. The

tunnel would pass beneath the ridge which carried the exisQng Zig-Zag line (now the

Great Western Highway). Ader emerging just below the original alignment at the top of

Knapsack Creek, the line would curve to the led and ascend slightly before re-joining

the exisQng line at old Glenbrook StaQon. The site of the old staQon (now demolished)

lies to the right of the Great Western Highway near the present skate park.

The building of the tunnel was contracted to George Proudfoot of Messrs D Proudfoot

& Co whose labourers and their families were established in two camps at either end of

the works, one at Glenbrook and the other at Lapstone. Mr Witherby of the Railway

Department supervised the project. For delivery of construcQon materials a siding was

built off the exisQng line to a point above where the eastern portal would eventually be

located. To enable construcQon of the tunnel it was necessary to divert a creek across

the top of the tunnel, just a few metres from the eastern portal, then down through a

cuTng to join another watercourse. To save money, a venQlaQon shad was not

included, it being thought that 'the current of air passing through it should provide

sufficient venQlaQon’ but ulQmately this proved not to be the case.

Construction of Glenbrook Tunnel Eastern Portal 1892


Towards the end of 1891, celebrated Australian arQst Sir Arthur Streeton spent three

months in the Blue Mountains at Glenbrook. During his Qme there he spent many days

at the site of the Lapstone/Glenbrook Tunnel as it was being constructed, sketching and

compleQng studies in watercolour. Streeton was fascinated by the depth of the

sandstone cuTng which led to the tunnel and the way not only the workers at the base

of the cuTng but also the gum trees along the top were so diminished in size. He

likened the eastern portal to ‘a great dragon's mouth’. By the Qme he came to paint his

famous masterpiece ‘Fire’s on’, he had familiarised himself with the terrain and was

following the development of the railway tunnel with interest. 'Fire's on' was the

warning call before the blast as the gang dynamited the Lapstone Tunnel through the

hillside. Completed on site at the eastern mouth of the tunnel, the painQng captures a

criQcal moment during its construcQon, the death of a railway worker Thomas Lawless

in an explosion on 16 December 1891 and depicts an injured worker being brought out

of the tunnel. Because of Arthur Streeton’s great painQng, the building of the tunnel

and the fatal blasQng accident which killed Thomas Lawless have become part of

Australian mythology as well as railway history.

Arthur Streeton ‘Fire’s On’ (Lapstone Tunnel) 1891 - Oil on Canvas - Art Gallery of NSW


This painQng gives the impression of having

been executed quickly capturing a dramaQc

moment. There is a strong focus on the moment

of the blast with a flurry of opaque white

pigment at the centre of the composiQon,

capturing the energy of the explosion as it

detonates from the rock face. The painQng

depicts the eastern mouth of Lapstone tunnel.

Arthur Streeton ‘Blasting on Blue Mountains’ 1891 – Watercolour- Art Gallery of NSW

This watercolour is not a study for the painQng

'Fire's on' but an independent work, preceding

the painQng rather than following it. ‘The iron

track, with the sandy mounds turned up on

each side, and the masses of rock through

which the workers have driven their way -

colour, tone and subject all strikingly real’. The

painQng depicts the eastern mouth of Lapstone

tunnel.

Arthur Streeton ‘Cutting the tunnel, Blue Mountains’ 1891 – Watercolour – Art Gallery of NSW

A coroner's inquest was held at Penrith into the death of Thomas Lawless, killed

when an explosive charge he was placing at the Glenbrook tunnel rock face went off

prematurely. ‘A party of miners were working in a tunnel at Glenbrook and one of their


number was pressing a charge of powder in the face of the cuTng when an explosion

occurred throwing the whole of the gang, four in number, off their feet and puTng out

all the lights instantly. One of the men who was uninjured, crawled out of the tunnel,

got a light and returning found his three mates injured. Thomas Lawless, who was

more severely hurt than the others, was taken to Penrith Hospital where he succumbed

on Sunday’. The jury returned a verdict to the effect that the accident was caused

through using tools in a bad condiQon and that the explosion was occasioned in trying

to ram a large charge into a small compass, but they could not say to whom the blame

if any, could be imputed.

Funeral in High Street Penrith for railway worker killed during construction of

Glenbrook deviation tunnel

The Glenbrook Railway tunnel is laid out in reverse curves with transiQons - an ogee

(S shape) with reverse curves of 15 chains (302m) radius and transiQon curves of 30

chains (604m) radius. The single track used 80lb (30.3 kg) steel rails with Ironbark

sleepers substanQally ballasted with blue metal and sandstone.

The Western portal is a brick oviform tunnel entered from a cuTng through the

sandstone hill dug out when creaQng the tunnel and forming the 60m western railway

approaches. A large three ring brick parabolic arch with a sandstone outer torus

moulding surrounds the entry. The horizontally arQculated entablature above is

constructed of axe-faced and margined stone ashlars. The top of the entablature

course to the rail level is approximately 8m. The face brickwork of the surround is


plumb and laid in English bond. The arch is flanked by brick buOresses/baOered piers

on either side of the entrance. Beyond these are short sandstone retaining walls laid in

squared rubble.

Diagram of the Western Portal

The Eastern portal is similar to the western although the flanking piers are a liOle

wider due to the slightly wider railway cuTng. This is partly due to the approach to

the hillside at the western cuTng being generally steeper.

The tunnel internally is constructed of brick laid in English bond for 40 courses from

the floor, above which the height changes to stretcher bond. The shape of the tunnel is

a conQnuaQon of the entrance arch. Weep holes are located in the walls about 2

courses above ground level that are one course high and about 2.5m apart. The floor

has an even grade of 1 in 33 upwards from east to west. Regularly placed recessed

refuges designed as safe spaces for railway workers caught in the tunnel as a train

approached are located down both sides of the tunnel about 48 metres apart. They are

686mm deep, 1.2m wide and 1.98m high and are characterised by a three ring

segmental arch.


Interior showing recessed safety refuge

Roof section

This deviaQon tunnel should have been finished by the end of 1891 but the sudden

death of the railway contractor David Proudfoot, caused the work to extend for another

year, a total of 20 months in all. The cost of the whole work was under £50,000 with

the tunnel cosQng £37,000 to build.

The Glenbrook tunnel project was a major feat of engineering and was at the Qme

considered ‘one of the greatest wonders of the colony perhaps it may be said – of the

world’. The tunnel was opened to rail traffic in December 1892.


Operation of Old Glenbrook Tunnel 1892-1913

The opening of Glenbrook railway tunnel occurred on 18 December 1892 with the new

route being hailed as a major improvement although the new deviaQon was sQll only a

single track.

‘Sunday adernoon was busy for those engaged at the foot of the great mountain

barrier which rises precipitately from the Emu Plains. Men have been toiling for many

months digging out cuTngs and delving through tunnels but their work had been liOle

noQced Qll Sunday when it received the crown of successful achievement. In the

morning the last train crawled slowly over the Lapstone Zig-Zag and in the adernoon,

just as the dusk of a wet day was closing in, the first train passed through the deviaQng

tunnel and, without once reversing its course, ran straight on to Glenbrook where it

joined the original Western line’

‘Sunday, it will be remembered, was parQcularly damp and the task of connecQng

the rails was surrounded by excepQonal difficulQes with impaQent engineers and rainsodden

platelayers. By 5 o'clock in the adernoon the connecQon was accomplished and

a heavily laden goods train made a successful trial trip through the steamy tunnel’

‘The new line, which starts at the foot of the former Zig-Zag, branches off southward

through a deep cuTng and eventually enters a tunnel half a mile in length from which

it emerges close to Glenbrook staQon. The whole length is only one mile 33 chains as

compared with two miles three chains, the length of the old line. This is a saving in

direct distance of 50 chains, to say nothing of the greater facility in working. In fact the

Chief Commissioner esQmates that the new line will enable from 35 to 50 thousand

train miles extra to be run annually.

Goods trains of any length may now be used, the load being limited only by the hauling

power of the engines which, especially in the case of the new Baldwins, is able to cope

with many more trucks than have previously been used in making up a train’ (Sydney

Morning Herald 20 December 1892)

Glenbrook Railway Tunnel

Historic Sketch


Original Glenbrook Railway Station 1900 (Re-erected in 1916 as Artarmon Station Sydney)

However, the deviaQon soon proved to be somewhat of a disaster. Even if it did

eliminate the zig-zag which restricted train length, the problem was the design of the

tunnel. The first problem was the climb, the tunnel being on a steep, conQnuous 1 in

33 gradient. The second and main problem was venQlaQon (no venQlaQon shad was

included to save money). The tunnel was low and single-track which made the

dimensions Qght, and towards one end was a curve, which made the venQlaQon even

worse parQcularly for west-bound trains. Passengers and crew found themselves

fighQng off suffocaQng smoke, fumes and coal grit from the locomoQve and water

seeping from the tunnel roof kept the rails slippery and wet. Trains would begin

slipping halfway through the tunnel, forcing engine crews, overcome by fumes, to

retreat for air. In one incident of 1908, a retreaQng train met with another down goods

train in a collision at the tunnel mouth.

In one instance, ‘.....passengers had to spend nearly an hour admiring the beauQes of

the interior of Glenbrook tunnel. Whilst traversing the tunnel the train stopped, and

not unQl divided in two secQons could progress be made. The stoppage is said to be

due to the lack of sufficient head of steam’. (The Nepean Times 12 September 1912)


A Sydney-bound goods train crosses Knapsack Creek and enters the Western portal of the tunnel. The

line of the original Zig-Zag railway can be seen running across the top of the photo (this is now the Great

Western Highway). This section of the original line was kept as a refuge siding. Later it became the

start of the construction tramway leading to the new Glenbrook Gorge tunnel. Photo: OB Bolton

Bank Engine (AB Class goods) returning from Katoomba leaving the Eastern portal of Glenbrook Tunnel

‘A railway accident occurred at the Glenbrook tunnel recently. Two trucks in a train

of empQes ran off the line. Owing to the smoke and steam issuing from the engine, the

trucks were not noQced Qll the train was 20 yards outside the tunnel. No damage was


done but it is considered miraculous that the derailed trucks ran over a large open

bridge without toppling over.’ (Australian Town & Country Journal 15 April 1893)

‘This morning a special train, preceding the ordinary passenger, with Driver J Willis

and Fireman T Wright in charge of the engine, led Emu Plains and made three aOempts

to get through the tunnel. It was not Qll ader porQon of the train had been led behind

that they succeeded. When the first porQon arrived at Glenbrook the driver became

unconscious and the fireman was ill. Another driver and fireman got the second part of

the train through and led Glenbrook at half past 12. Driver Willis received first aid at

Glenbrook and with Fireman Wright came on to Penrith. Willis is very ill and it is

believed his lungs are affected by the hot air in the tunnel. Fireman Wright is slightly

burned about the face. None of the passengers suffered to any extent’. (Sydney

Morning Herald 1 January 1903)

‘It is Qme that the railway authoriQes remedied the defecQve nature and venQlaQon

of the Glenbrook tunnel. Last week two of the railway men were lying prostrate for

some hours owing to the suffocaQng character of the smoke in the tunnel, whilst

passengers in the trains passing through even in two minutes find the density of smoke

unbearable. Goods trains having two engines, the driver and fireman of the pusher (the

rear engine) oden have a terrible experience and someQmes become unconscious…..as

with any accident within the tunnel numbers of passengers would be suffocated to

death in a very short Qme. The railway men who suffer untold discomfort dare not

complain—and it is led to the travelling public to stand by these poor fellows, which I

hope they will do with no uncertain voice. Something should be done, either to widen

and venQlate the tunnel (which by the way curves like the leOer S), or find some

deviaQon. Few alteraQons are more urgent than the venQlaQon of the Glenbrook

tunnel and the work should be carried out immediately’. (Sydney Morning Herald

18 January 1908)

The problem with the ‘Rathole’ tunnel, as it was known, was finally addressed ader

the Lithgow Zig-Zag deviaQon was completed in 1910 and the railway gangs were

moved to Glenbrook. Major works were involved in bypassing Glenbrook Tunnel. A

new viaduct was built over Knapsack Gully to the east and the new line then ran

through the virgin country of Glenbrook Gorge south of the old alignment as far as the

present Lapstone staQon. It then turned west through a short replacement tunnel

under The Bluff and finally north to the present Glenbrook staQon. The gradient was

reduced to 1 in 60 compared with the 1 in 33 of the old tunnel deviaQon.


During construcQon of the new route a spur line was run from the main line near the

eastern portal of old Glenbrook tunnel to the edge of Glenbrook Gorge, where a cable

incline descended to the works site. This funicular railway was constructed to enable

bricks and materials to be brought close to the mouth of the new tunnel. The spur line

route is now a walking track. Above the Eastern portal the track leads south to the old

tramway route which crosses Explorers Road Glenbrook just below the primary school.

The remains of the winding house and incline are signposted. Just west of Bluff

Lookout are the remains of the funicular railway descending into Glenbrook Gorge.

There are excellent views of Glenbrook Gorge also from this locaQon.

Glenbrook Funicular Tramway Railway c1910

IniQally it was planned to conQnue using the 1892 Glenbrook Tunnel for downhill

trains and when the new deviaQon opened on 11 May 1913 as a single track only the

old tunnel was sQll being used for east-bound (downhill) trains. When duplicaQon

(dual tracks) was finally completed, the new up line was acQvated in September 1913

and the ‘Rathole’ tunnel was replaced by the new Glenbrook Gorge Tunnel which is

currently in use today.


Construction work Glenbrook Gorge Tunnel Deviation 1910 -1913

Glenbrook Gorge Tunnel Deviation -19 Men - 1911


This photo shows the first train

through Glenbrook Gorge in 1911

Note the second locomoQve

assisQng the climb. Old Glenbrook

tunnel was sQll in use for downhill

trains at this Qme.

Glenbrook Gorge Deviation 1912


Railway line at Glenbrook - cutting in the new track work Glenbrook deviation 1912

East of old Glenbrook Station original line embankment to left & 1 st deviation track on right.

Railway workers camp 1912


Closure of old Glenbrook Tunnel – From Railway to

Mushroom Farm 1913-1942

Glenbrook Tunnel was last used for trains on 25 September 1913. Old Glenbrook

staQon was closed, the lines in the tunnel were raised and it quietly decayed laying

abandoned for 20 years unQl an enterprising couple decided it was perfect for another

use.

In 1933 Herbert Rowe, an out of work master builder, and his wife Fanny had the idea

of growing mushrooms in the disused tunnel. Requiring high humidity and temperature

as well as darkness, the old Glenbrook tunnel was ideal. In June 1934 the tunnel was

leased for 12 months from NSW Railways by Herbert Edward Rowe (affecQonately

known as ‘Pop’) for £13 per annum. Previously a Stan Breakspear had fenced off an

area close to the tunnel where he kept a bull.

Mr and Mrs Rowe created living quarters from an old Wirth’s Circus tent that they

pitched on a flat area to the right of the entrance leading into the western end of the

tunnel. A small cave formed by some overhanging rock was the Rowe’s kitchen and a

culvert, under what is now the Great Western Highway, was their ‘cold chest’. A pool

dug at the end of the culvert was their water tank.

Herbert Rowe built his own mushroom growing beds which were three metres wide

with a narrow path down the led side for access and working space. About three

quarters of the length of the tunnel was taken up by the beds. In the early stages of the

mushroom growing project, the spore was obtained in blocks about 12 feet by 6 feet

from a Mr Hearn of Como near Sutherland in Sydney and later from Dr Noble from the

Department of Agriculture. The mushrooms were sold to well-known green grocer De

Luca of King Street, Sydney.

When the Rowes renewed their lease in 1936 the Commissioner of Railways warned

them that in the event of war they would be given three months’ noQce to vacate the

site. However, it wasn’t unQl 1939 that the underground farm showed any return and

just as the farm was coming into profit, the Rowe’s world was rudely interrupted.

When war broke out in September 1939 it is believed the Rowes were actually only

given one weeks’ noQce to vacate the site. By January 1942 the Royal Australian Air

force occupied the tunnel under naQonal security regulaQons. The Rowes, no longer

able to farm the mushrooms, were employed by the RAAF to compensate for their loss

of livelihood. Herbert Rowe stayed on at the RAAF tunnel camp as their maintenance

person.


Old Glenbrook Tunnel WWII – Bombs, Chemical Weapons

& ‘The Mustard Gas Men’ 1942-1946

By 1937, two years prior to WWII, Australia was already giving consideraQon to the

need for procurement of gas for war Qme defence purposes. Although the use of

chemical weapons for offensive use was prohibited, the Geneva Protocol did not

prevent a naQon imporQng such weapons thus reserving a capability for retaliatory

strikes (Mustard gas and other chemical weapons were banned ader the horrors of

WW1). It was on this basis that the Australian authoriQes would covertly import its

‘insurance’ stocks.

Early in 1942 the Japanese southward advance, parQcularly the fall of Singapore,

caused Australia to prepare for possible invasion. Of parQcular concern was whether

Japan would use chemical weapons as it had in China. Australia requested chemical

warfare stocks from Britain in March and the first supplies docked in Australia in May

1942. Later stocks would also come from the United States. Australia would eventually

hold close to 1 million individual chemical muniQons weapons including at least 16

different types of mustard gas, and 34 types of chemical weapons were eventually

located at 15 major storage depots across Australia.

In NSW four tunnels would be used for storage purposes. These were Marrangaroo,

Glenbrook and Clarence in the Blue Mountains and Picton south of Sydney. They were

all Australian supervised sites. Marrangaroo and Glenbrook were the first of the

tunnels established followed by Picton and then Clarence. The Picton tunnel was

constructed as part of the original main southern railway line. The remaining three

were a part of the Lithgow Zig-Zag railway line. The four tunnels formed the base for

the Royal Australian Air Force's No. 1 Central Reserve. The headquarters for No. 1

Central Reserve was based at the combined RAAF-Army depot at Marangaroo, several

kilometres from the Marangaroo tunnel. No. 1 Central Reserve acted as a central depot

for chemical and non-chemical stocks and as a replenishment centre for NSW.

The locaQon of the tunnels placed them out of range of aircrad carriers and out of

aerial view thus protecQng them from air aOack. They were virtually bomb proof

having large heavy wooden doors several inches thick at both entrances that were

closed at night. The tunnels were easily guarded and offered protecQon from constant

humidity and both fluctuaQng and high temperatures.


Glenbrook Tunnel

The disused railway tunnel under the Great Western Highway at Glenbrook played a

key role in Australia’s WWII effort – in fact the Blue Mountains area was the centre of

our Chemical Warfare history and the populaQon at the Qme had no idea.

Around April 1941 officers from Richmond Air Force Base made an iniQal inspecQon

of the old railway tunnel, they were searching for an area to store convenQonal

explosives. On 6 January 1942 the Air Board approved the take-over of the disused 660

metre long tunnel by the RAAF for the storage of 500lb bombs with the acquisiQon

occurring on 4 April 1942. The RAAF laid a concrete grid floor in the tunnel and

installed a telephone system for security purposes. Glenbrook became No. 1 Central

Reserve No. 2 Sub Depot.

The BriQsh oversaw the iniQal establishment of chemical warfare agents handling

procedures. On 9 August 1942 arrangements for the first intake of chemical weapons

at Glenbrook were advised with material being received from the ship MV

‘Nigerstrrom’. When further supplies of chemicals arrived it was decided to move high

explosive stocks from Glenbrook and Picton and devote these tunnels to gas stocks

alone. Glenbrook housed mainly mustard gas from late August 1942.

Western portal of Glenbrook Tunnel – drums of Mustard Gas to left


The RAAF stacked the Glenbrook tunnel from end to end with containers to store

thousands of tonnes of mustard gas, a thick fluid that looked like oil. These consisted

mainly of bulk drums of mustard gas (50/90 gallon and Chemical Special No. 6) but also

included 65lb bombs. During operaQon the S curved, 660 metre tunnel was long and

dark with widely spaced lighQng. On the led hand side at the start of the tunnel were

small containers - canisters in wooden crates. About midway canisters were located on

one side and drums on the other. Further along the tunnel the canister and drum

storage was reversed. The tunnel had very liOle clearance making it difficult for the

trucks to back into the tunnel to load and unload the chemicals.

Glenbrook tunnel - only known surviving photo from within any of the four chemical warfare tunnels.

Left - Chemical Special No. 6 Mustard Gas cans (used to charge bombs) & drums to right

Chemical Weapons Bomb Trolley – ‘Leapin Lena’ the tractor pulling the bomb trolley out of the tunnel

the only practical means of moving the weapons

There was only one way the 1 million chemical weapons could be landed in Australia

and that was by ship and their desQnaQon was Walsh Bay right under the Sydney

Harbour Bridge. In 1943 an incident occurred involving the ship ‘Indomeneus’ when a


leaking drum gassed dozens of stevedores, blinding them for weeks and impairing their

health forever. Andrew Williams distressed by blindness and huge blisters that

developed around his genitals and chest and mad with pain from the mustard gas

burns, jumped to his death from a top floor hospital window.

‘Idomeneus’ - the most infamous chemical weapons carrier. A leaking drum resulted in one death and over 100

gas casualties.

The cargo was blacklisted and the RAAF was forced to move the ship to their wharf at

Glebe Island Balmain. But at least 80lb of mustard gas had penetrated the floor in the

ship’s hold and seventy RAAF personnel suffered mild to severe mustard gas burns in

the clean-up operaQon.

Nineteen year old Frank Bourke was one of the RAAF personnel asked to help clean

up the ship’s hold for an extra day’s leave but what Frank didn’t know was he would be

cleaning up a toxic spill from deadly mustard gas, already on its way to Glenbrook

Tunnel. Because the men had no idea of the danger, they were dressed only in basic

overalls. Frank was badly burned and rushed to Concord RepatriaQon Hospital where

he was told he would not survive and was given his last rights. Frank however did

survive and spent three agonising months in hospital recovering from his burns.


Glenbrook armourer Les Parsons ader being gassed on the ‘Idomeneus’ went crosseyed,

had double Pneumonia and almost died. He was 'photophobic' (sensiQve to

light) all his life.

Les Parsons - before

Les Parsons - after

It was following the disastrous incident involving the ‘Indomeneus’ that the RAAF

realised they would need specially trained armourers to handle, transport and

eventually destroy the stocks, and therefore the specialist chemical weapons unit, ‘The

Mustard Gas Men’, was formed.

Although most of the weapons were carried by rail through the heart of Sydney from

the wharves some went by semi-trailer directly to Glenbrook tunnel and that job fell to

Harry Evans. He couldn’t wear a gas mask as he thought that would look a bit strange

and one rainy night on his way to the tunnel it was lucky a full load didn’t contaminate

Penrith. A drunk driver, losing control of his car, slammed into the semi with its top

secret cargo. The Police wanted to quesQon Harry Evans but he told them they couldn’t

talk to him about what’s on the load ‘I know what it is but I’m not telling you nor

anybody….you’re wasQng your Qme trying to talk to me’. Evans took both his oath of

secrecy and military discipline very seriously.

Harry Evans was burned by leaking canisters on one occasion when tying down his

load. He didn’t wear the protecQve clothing issued to him because it was impracQcal –

‘try tying a knot in a rope with gloves on’ he said. Some of the canisters had small

leaks and his arm broke out in huge yellow hanging blisters.


Eastern portal of Glenbrook Tunnel – drums of Mustard Gas awaiting storage to right.

Savage guard dog at centre 1943

To accommodate faciliQes for maintenance and inspecQon, venQng and decanQng of

containers and decontaminaQon of damaged hardware, an area was set up in the

lower/eastern end cuTng leading from the tunnel.

Maintenance cutting East of Glenbrook tunnel. Mustard gas drums to right seen in bond (a settling

period after venting) & other drums are being cleaned & repainted by an armourer under the tarpaulin.

Mid 1943


On 14 July 1943 the Director of Armament staff RAAF conducted inspecQons of

chemical weapons and maintenance faciliQes at Glenbrook. He noted ‘drums stored at

both ends of the tunnel in the open due to insufficient space must be maintained at

once as they are rusQng badly’.

Aerial view of Glenbrook tunnel Eastern Cutting

The problem with storing mustard gas was the pressure building up and the RAAF’s

specialist chemical weapons unit were responsible for the unloading, transportaQon,

maintenance and disposal of chemical warfare stocks. The daily job of ‘The Mustard

Gas Men’ was to drag the containers from the tunnel, undo the bungs to release the

dangerous pressure, apply a leakage detector paint around the seams and put them

back into the cool storage area. But these brave men paid the price – mustard gas

vapour penetrates the skin with lightning speed and burns were common when the gas

came in contact with the skin. Despite its innocent appearance of dark oil, it released a

constant dangerous vapour and the hoOer the drum the more pressure. They were

literally working with one of the most dangerous substances known to man at that

Qme…and being exposed to it daily. The men were required to do maintenance on the

containers wearing gumboots, rubber gloves and heavy woollen clothing which was

designed for the cooler UK climate and with temperatures oden reaching 40 degrees

the men were unable to wear the anQ-gas gear as they found it unbearable in the heat.


Left to Right: 'Tiny' Waterman, Mark Williams, Geoff ‘Tassie’ Burn, Les Parsons, Arthur Blackwell and

Alan Jack. August 1944 RAAF Chemical Warfare Armourers

Royal Australian Air Force Chemical Warfare Armourers, ‘The Mustard Gas Men’ at Glenbrook

cu?ng atop Chemical Special No. 6 drums filled mustard gas. They are close to the tunnel entrance

where the drums were stored and have been dragged out for maintenance. When photographed

the drums are in ‘bond’, a seIling period aJer maintenance. These drums were used to fill 65 lb

bombs (essenMally 4 gallon kerosene cans). The storage and transport crates are seen to the right

and under Arthur Blackwell. Doug Bain, another Glenbrook armourer, has his named graffiMed on

the wall. This photo was taken illegally by mustard gas man Frank Moran who became a

professional photographer aJer the war. Taking photos of a military establishment was a court

marshalling offence during the war.


Armourer Mel Carney atop a mustard gas filled drum in the cutting at Glenbrook Tunnel

Chemical special No. 6 drums (filled Mustard Gas) in crates on way to Glenbrook tunnel - Mustard Gas

Men atop - Geoff Burn (second left) Harry Briggs (standing far right)


Glenbrook Tunnel Camp

Glenbrook Tunnel Depot Kitchen (Centre)

Airman’s Mess (left) mid 1943

Glenbrook Camp Western End Kitchen to

left & temporary accommodation to right

Masonite hut accommodation

Camp outside Western entrance of tunnel

Offices, orderly room and Officers' quarters

Area where leaking drums were decanted

Glenbrook Tunnel Anti-Gas Clothing Store

Storeroom

Glenbrook was considered the most pleasant of the tunnel depots by the men who

worked with the gas. The site was described in 1943 as being about 5km into the bush.

The camp consisted of the headquarters, orderly room, a store, alcove for maintenance,


carpenter, mess hut with a big stone fireplace and an open fire to cook on, Masonite

and wooden framed sleeping huts which had replaced tents. The huts had shuOers at

the top and boOom which could be propped open shower and toilet blocks and a small

transport secQon hut. During the summer months RAAF staff members from the

Glenbrook camp were called out to fight bushfires. Despite the dangerous nature of

their work the men had extremely fond memories of living in Glenbrook. Former

Armourer Geoff Burn said ‘the local people at Glenbrook were always very good, they

used to turn on a dance and tennis tournaments and those sort of things’

Glenbrook locals had seen the Movie Tone films on air raid precauQons and heard of

the possibility of gas aOacks but it was a shock to know they lived only hundreds of

metres from the deadly arsenal. Although the mustard gas stored in the railway tunnel

was supposed to be a secret the Glenbrook locals knew it existed and the children were

told not to talk about its existence as it would sabotage the war effort - they knew but

pretended not to. The fact that the operaQon was top secret was obvious to them

because thousands of drums would arrive by rail and were loaded onto semi-trailers,

but the RAAF trucks would then leave Glenbrook railway yards on their way to the

tunnel by four different roads never using the same road twice in a row.

Eleven year old Ron Hughes lived in Glenbrook with his family who managed a guest

house during the war years. One of the Air Force men came in to see his wife who was

staying there. His arm was covered with huge blisters which Ron Hughes was told were

caused by mustard gas. His parents told him to be quiet about what he saw as it was

‘hush-hush’. Another primary school student Tim Miers said the townsfolk of

Glenbrook agreed to keep the mustard gas stockpile a secret. One adernoon an RAAF

trucker was transporQng drums of mustard gas from the Glenbrook railway siding to the

tunnel when two of the drums fell off and burst open. A high ranking Air Force officer

visited all the nearby homes advising mothers to shut the doors and windows and keep

their children inside unQl the toxic spill was cleaned up. There was a strange smell like

roOen eggs and two men in full anQ-gas gear turned up and rolled the drums into the

gully where they were dealt with. Tim was always too scared to explore the gully – a

wise decision as ‘Chinese whispers’ were correct.

AddiQonal shipments of gas in 1943-44 compelled the commissioning of Clarence

tunnel to take the overflow. By 7 February 1944 the transfer of chemical weapons

stocks from No. 2 Sub Depot Glenbrook to Clarence Tunnel began.

On 1 May 1944 Chemical Weapons Plan stated ‘The Royal Australian Air Force is

capable of full scale chemical weapons operaQng from Australian bases’.

By August


1944 the RAAF decided that chemical weapons stocks and equipment, other than

obsolete items, should be held substanQally in forward areas. No. 1 Central Reserve

therefore became a transit point, rather than a storage area, to facilitate the supply of

chemical weapons to forward units should retaliatory chemical warfare acQon be

sancQoned.

During the peak period for the arrival of chemicals from Great Britain and the African

desert zone Glenbrook railway siding was inadequate for the transport operaQons and

associated influx of railway wagons and motor vehicles. Therefore trains were kept at

Penrith and batches of 14-20 wagons brought to Glenbrook as required.

Railway siding at Glenbrook - Chemical Weapons arrived at Glenbrook railway siding by train.

They were transferred to semi-trailers and taken to the nearby tunnel.

In 1946, following the end of the war, the Australian Defence CommiOee agreed to the

Army and RAAF requests to dispose of chemical ammuniQon. The Australian

Government faced the dilemma of how to dispose of the stocks of chemicals and

neither the Army nor Air Force had experience with disposal of chemical weapons. As

a result, trials were conducted to determine the best form of large scale chemical

destrucQon. Burning, sea dumping and venQng were found appropriate for the

different types of chemicals. Two ship loads of gas were scuOled 18 miles from Sydney

Heads, the remainders simply pushed off the deck as loose item. The material in the

sea remains there to this day. Fire was found to be the most appropriate method for

mustard gas.

Chemical Warfare armourer Mel Carney recalls in 1946 at the Qme when they had to

get rid of the gas, the delicate work of backing a semi-trailer into the tunnel. ‘There

was just enough room to get in with the trucks so they had to try and work from both

sides if they could, which was difficult. In the straight part it was alright but once you

got to the curves you had to get rid of the drums from both sides of the tunnel…I never

realised that the semi-trailers drivers were so good at their job - standing on the

running board reversing up the tunnel, using his controls, his hand throOle from the

running board. I guess we had to take our hats off to those chaps’.


Chemical warfare stocks from No. 1 Central Reserve, including those from

Marrangaroo and Glenbrook, were burnt at Newnes State Forest. Marrangaroo and

Glenbrook stocks were the last to be burned. The actual disposal took place from 14

February to 14 March 1946 when 2,000 tonnes, some 20,000 items, were incinerated.

Truck tipping chemical weapons Chemical Special No. 6 in Crates. Bulk drums to the left

Drums of mustard gas burn fiercely at Newnes State Forest. Drums of mustard gas to left

Chemical Special No. 6 to right

Post war inspecQons showed that the burn had been incomplete and re-disposal

operaQons were conducted between 1947 and 1949, including re-burning some items

and the use of bleach. Final decontaminaQon took place in 1980 when approximately

2,500 tonnes of mainly soil residue was removed from the Newnes State Forest burn

site to the nearby Marrangaroo AmmuniQon Depot to be burned in a pit and bleached.


Honouring the Glenbrook Tunnel ‘Mustard Gas Men’

Geoff (Tassie) Burn and Arthur Lewis were two of the RAAF armourers who had

worked at Glenbrook tunnel looking ader the deadly stash of chemical weapons. In

January 2008 the two men (both aged 83) made an emoQonal return visit to the old

Glenbrook railway tunnel. They had both joined the RAAF at 18 wanQng to become air

gunners but were ordered to the secret RAAF chemical warfare unit.

For more than 60 years Geoff Burn and Arthur Lewis kept silent about the terrible

secret hidden in the disused railway tunnel. They refused to join Anzac Day marches

and wouldn't talk about their Qme in Glenbrook tunnel. Mr Burn said. ‘When the war

was over they didn't want to know about us. They just wiped our war records. Mine

said I had been aOached to headquarters but I was never there’. He, like many others in

the unit, suffered health problems but he can't prove they were caused by contact with

the gas as his records were destroyed at the end of the war. ‘We'd rather have been

doing something more useful like fighQng Japs’ Mr Burn said.

Geoff Burn & Arthur Lewis outside the Glenbrook

tunnel in January 2008. Sun-Herald

Geoff Burn & fellow Glenbrook armourer

Les Parsons revisit eastern end of the tunnel

Later in 2008 the Defence Department published a book ‘Chemical Warfare In

Australia’ - detailing the unit's story, including how they and army volunteers were used

as guinea pigs by their own commanders. Author Geoff PlunkeO said the unit had the

most dangerous and underrated job in the military - maintaining, storing and shiding

the chemicals and bombs daily. One Glenbrook armourer quoted in the book, Noel

Stoneman, talks about the shame of the secrecy that lasted a lifeQme. ‘Because most of

the Qme we were working with rubber gloves and respirators… we had nice sod hands

and we were regarded as bludgers because it appeared as though we weren’t doing

anything….but of course we couldn’t divulge anything’.

It was a reunion in 1990 of chemical armourers at Penrith RSL organised by fellow

armourer Frank Moran that proved pivotal in loosening a secret that the veterans had

kept even from their own families for more than half a century. But perhaps the


cruellest blow came when Geoff Burn turned up at an RSL funcQon wearing the insignia

sponsored by Veteran’s Affairs for the Chemical Warfare SecQon and designed ader the

1990 reunion when their role finally became public. One of the other veterans started

asking him about it, scepQcal, perhaps believing he was making it up.

Chemical Warfare Armours Reunion Penrith 1990 Chemical Warfare Insignia designed in 1990

it was their first & only meeting

Yet the danger faced by Burn and his mates was real with the ‘gas’ now officially

listed as a carcinogen. There were enough chemical weapons stored in Glenbrook

tunnel from 1942 to 1945 to wipe out the whole populaQon of Sydney and only a

handful of survivors, Australia’s mustard gas men, knew it ever existed.

Two of the armourers died in accidents from mustard gas.

A commanding officer

from one of the Chemical warfare storage depots was referred to a psychiatrist when

he thought it was reasonable to get some medical assistance for health consequences

of his military service ‘Sorry, you’ve got the wrong war mate, that stuff happened on

the Somme but we never had any here’.

As well as transporQng mustard gas to Glenbrook tunnel, Harry Evans also

transported it to Marrangaroo, a bomb storage depot near Lithgow NSW. Known as

‘the fake town that never was’, Marrangaroo was disguised as a village with its own

butchers shop, petrol staQon and hotel. The former guard house was disguised as Alf

Jones the butcher, the quartermasters store as a petrol staQon with dummy pumps and

the Mess was disguised as Ryan’s Hotel. The Mess is sQll a Mess with XXX painted on

the roof although the horses Qed to the hitching rail are gone as have the papier-mâché


chickens that were moved around by hand. Harry Evans insisted he has no regrets

about what he did during the war just how he’s been treated since.

Alf Jones butchers shop was the Guard House - Marrangaroo

Ryan’s Hotel was the Mess - Marrangaroo


The Chemical Warfare Unit Geoff Burn was assigned to in 1942 ‘didn’t exist’ unQl

2008 when the military called upon him to help clean up their own toxic mess. At the

end of WWII Geoff Burn had helped bury about 30 drums of mustard gas and phosgene

gas at Marrangaroo, and in 2008 the Defence Department asked Mr Burn to help them

find the bombs–a clean-up of a place that ‘never existed’. According to Mr Burn the

clean-up was only possible because of his expert knowledge of the area.

Geoff Burn with 250lb deadly Phosgene bombs

uncovered from Marrangaroo in 2008

David Bradbury MP, Member for Lindsay had acknowledged the WWII service of

these personnel in a speech to Federal Parliament in June 2008. ‘Mr Burn and the

other men in his unit were young, inexperienced and ill prepared for the gruelling task

that lay before them. In the course of their duQes, which included extensive tesQng of

the weapons throughout Australia, exposure to the toxic chemicals was rouQne. Those

exposed suffered from horrible burns, rashes and respiratory illnesses, which for many

people conQnue to recur in old age’

‘I understand that Mr Burn and the majority of his colleagues have experienced

difficulQes in receiving appropriate recogniQon and compensaQon for their work in this

unit despite the risk that it posed to their health. This has largely been because they

were not posted overseas during WWII, making them ineligible to receive a gold card,

and also because the secret nature of their posQngs resulted in the omission from their

Defence records of details of their service in the Chemical Warfare Unit’.

‘I do not have the power to correct the official records of each and every member of

the chemical warfare unit but it is my honour to ensure that the service of Mr Geoff

Burn and his colleagues is appropriately recognised here in the naQon’s parliament’.

In February 2009 Geoff Burn and Arthur Lewis’s story went global in the History

Channel documentary series CiQes of the Underworld in an episode called ‘Alcatraz

Down Under’ which featured the Glenbrook Tunnel’s secret warQme past and the


‘Mustard Gas Men’. Presenter Don Wildman interviewed the two former RAAF

armourers at the old railway tunnel where the men had served from 1943 to 1945.

Geoff Burn & Arthur Lewis with Cities of the Underworld presenter Don Wildman

Geoff Burn recounts how he was lucky not to lose an eye when he removed his gas mask prematurely

and mustard gas vapour dropped on him burning his faced and blinding him for days.

The eight minute segment of the documentary CiQes of the Underworld ‘Alcatraz Down

Under’ can be watched on h#ps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKQUED3G0ho

Ader decades of denial, the military finally recognised the unit's contribuQon to the

war effort and on Remembrance Day 2009 Australia’s WWII chemical warfare personnel

were honoured at a plaque unveiling ceremony conducted at the war memorial at

Glenbrook Panthers Bowling Club. The plaque is in recogniQon of the RAAF Chemical

Warfare Armourers and other personnel who worked with mustard gas chemical

weapons in the Glenbrook tunnel from 1942 to 1946. The Glenbrook RSL was awarded

a $4,000 grant from the Department of Veteran’s Affairs to produce this plaque.


David Bradbury, member for Lindsay, provided the unveiling address, some of the

original personnel from WWII or their relaQves aOended, as well as federal and state

parliamentarians and local council representaQves.

One of the veterans Doug Bain said ‘I had lots of burns from the mustard gas and I’ve

been treated all my life…you could taste it in the air… many of the armourers had huge

yellow blisters hanging down off their arms the size of tennis balls caused from contact

with leaking mustard gas’. Stewart Glover, Radio Officer from the infamous ship

‘Indomeneus’ who also aOended the ceremony stated ‘It was my bloody fault - I

brought the stuff over from the UK’. Geoff Burn said the plaque had brought them

some relief ‘This should have happened years ago but we couldn’t get any recogniQon

out of the government’

World War II RAAF Chemical Warfare Armourers

unveiling the plaque.

Left to right Arthur Lewis, Doug Bain & Geoff Burn

The Plaque depicting Glenbrook Tunnel &

The Mustard Gas Men showing Doug Bain’s

name graffitied on the wall top left

Model of Glenbrook Tunnel created for the

Ceremony

Stewart Glover Radio Officer from the ‘Indomeneus’


WWII Chemical Warfare Armourers Geoff Burn, Doug Bain, Group Captain Graeme Davies, David

Bradbury MP & WWII Chemical Warfare Armourer Arthur Lewis

Geoff Burn has been saluted in Federal Parliament, had his story told in a book,

featured in a History Channel documentary, acknowledged by official leOer and

vindicated by being asked to help the military. Despite all this he’s sQll not enQtled to a

full military pension, compensaQon or a Gold Card because, as a departmental leOer to

him stated ‘…you did not incur danger from hosQle forces of the enemy whilst serving

inside Australia during the war’.


Old Glenbrook Tunnel – From Chemical Warfare Weapons

to Mushroom Farm 1946 – Present Day

At the end of WWII the tunnel was again abandoned and subsequently reverted to its

pre-war use as a mushroom farm. For years, no one seems to know how many, the

Glenbrook tunnel has been leased from the NSW Railways (now Rail Corp) for

commercial mushroom growing.

Western Portal

IniQally classic buOon mushrooms were grown. A refrigeraQon unit was installed but

with such a long tunnel the power costs were prohibiQve and by 1991 exoQc Asian

mushrooms, not previously produced in Australia, were started. Requiring less labour

they’ve been grown in Glenbrook tunnel ever since. Mr Y. Cho, owner of The

Mushroom BioTech Australia, a commercial mushroom-growing business, commenced

operaQons in the tunnel in 1992. According to Mr Cho the atmospheric condiQons

inside the tunnel were perfect for growing mushrooms.


Western Portal

In 1993 the Total Environment Centre called for the immediate closure of Glenbrook

tunnel, and all other single track railway tunnels used as poisonous gas depots during

WWII, demanding a halt to mushroom growing due to health fears. It wanted State and

Federal authoriQes to assess what it believed was a real risk to health from mushrooms

grown in the tunnel staQng that during WWII leaking canisters of mustard gas were

stored in the 660 metre long Glenbrook tunnel and a lot of poisonous material leaked

at both ends of the tunnel as well as inside it. One product contained in mustard gas,

arsenic, is a strong acute poison in very small doses and is considered carcinogenic and

there was a concern that condensaQon from the walls and roof of the tunnel may have

affected mushrooms grown in the tunnel. But the tunnel's history did not concern

lessee Mr Cho. ‘I can't see any problems arising because poisonous gas was stored in

the tunnel. That happened a long Qme ago. People have been growing mushrooms

commercially inside this tunnel for years.’ Mr Cho stated.

It was confirmed by veterans who aOended a reunion at the tunnel in 1992 that a

massive clean-up had occurred. Former RAAF chemical warfare armourer Frank Moran

also stated ‘I revisited Glenbrook in 1989 and entered deep into the tunnel with the

then-manager of the mushroom-growing company. If there had been any detectable

trace of mustard gas polluQon rest assured my nose would have told me’ UlQmately it

was determined that the Commonwealth had cleaned up the tunnel in about 1990.

Of the four tunnels in NSW used for Chemical Warfare storage during WWII,

Glenbrook tunnel is the only one that conQnues to be used for mushroom growing

purposes today.


Mr John Gates, the current lessee of the historic Glenbrook tunnel, states that the

cold, moist air inside is ideal for culQvaQng fungi which he has grown by the thousands

since 2002 through his business The Mushroom Company. Mr Gates is the largest

Shimeji mushroom grower in Australia “We are the only mushroom seller at Paddy’s

Markets - we have a 7m stretch…..The site has five or six people working full Qme and

three drivers. We grow about one third of exoQc mushrooms produced Australia-wide”

Other varieQes Mr Gates sells include oyster and chestnut. His footsteps and voice

echo slowly down the tunnel as he explains the harvesQng process. ‘We grow them in

bags that have natural hardwood sawdust which we compost for five months then it

takes four weeks to grow spores inside the bags. So there are no pesQcides and no

chemicals. Ader six weeks mushrooms start to grow. They grow for about four months

ader they start. Given the effort it takes to grow them there is oden a small yield taken

to market- some Qmes as liOle as 200g from each bag’ Mr Gates claims the tunnel was

used as a mushroom farm for about 50 years ader it was reQred as a single track

railway.

John Gates The Mushroom Company

Glenbrook Tunnel

Glenbrook Tunnel

Yellow Oyster


Namenko

Shitake

The Mushroom Company Glenbrook Tunnel

John from the Mushroom Depot grows 10 varieties of mushrooms at Glenbrook railway tunnel including

Nameko, King Brown and Yellow Oyster, Portobello, Enoki, Shemiji, Shitake and the black Eary Fungi.

He can be found at Flemington Markets and French’s Forest in Sydney every Sunday.


Old Glenbrook Tunnel Today

Today old Glenbrook Tunnel is closed and entry to it is not possible.

The tunnel is

blocked at the Eastern end by brickwork and access to the portals is difficult, however

both portals are visible. Mushroom racks and associated infrastructure and infill at the

Western end of the tunnel appear to be non-structural and easily reversed if desired.

The Western portal is beside a lane, off Barnet Street Glenbrook, that runs alongside

the Great Western Highway. At present the Western portal is the main entry and the

tunnel passes beneath the Great Western Highway. It is accessed from an unformed

road through a series of large, older Qn shed and outbuildings used by the exisQng

tenant for business purposes. The road gives way to a gravel track large enough for use

by vehicles. VegetaQon is encroaching on the track and this appears to be covering

stone walls which would have formed the 60 metre western railway approaches dug

out when creaQng the tunnel and the deviaQon. An open shed is located close to the

tunnel entry sheltering a variety of equipment. An undated light fiTng on bracket is

located centrally over the arch. The arch opening has been filled in with sheets of iron,

exhaust fan and a roller door to secure and venQlate the tunnel for the current

occupier. Carved on the sandstone wall at the entry and sQll visible today, are the

leOers 8/43 RAB, graffiQ carved in August 1943 by Leading Aircradman Ross Bryant

when the tunnel was used by the RAAF for storage of mustard gas during WWII.

Western Portal


The old cuTng on the western side of the tunnel is walkable although not many

people even know it exists. This cuTng emerges near the nursery on the highway, the

remains of the old water tank foundaQons can also be seen here.

Old railway cutting west of the Portal

Inside, both painted and unpainted brick and cement rendered wall and roof surfaces

are visible throughout the tunnel. A variety of services suspended from the roof and

fixtures primarily associated with the current use are visible, including piping and

racking. A strip of fluorescent lighQng is located down the centre of the tunnel. What

appears to be drainage ditches are located along both walls the full length of the

tunnel. All railway tracks have been removed and the concrete floor has replaced what

was probably a ballast surface, as has evidence of the mustard gas storage facility.

Rear East end of Interior

Tunnel Interior

The Eastern portal is not signposted but can be reached via a walking track which

commences at a reservoir alongside where Governors Drive, Lapstone branches off the

Great Western Highway. Park near the reservoir and take the track that follows the

path of the old railway - most of the walk is quite easy. Ader a few hundred metres the


line crosses Tunnel Gully Creek (look for the stone culvert near the led hand gully wall)

to a point where the ground is too swampy and the undergrowth too thick to conQnue.

Nutrient rich run off from 50 years of mushroom farming acQviQes in the tunnel has

turned the cuTng into a jungle full of quicksand-like mud making it quite difficult to

actually get to the mouth of the tunnel. To the right the track leaves the railway bed

short of the tunnel, ascending a narrow ridge separaQng the weed choked cuTng from

a water course and leading up the side of the bank and across the top of the portal.

The Eastern portal is easily visible at this point. The ridge line opposite was the vantage

point from which arQst Sir Arthur Streeton captured the tunnel's construcQon in 1891 -

access to this area is possible but limited. Above the Portal a track leads south to the

old Tramway route built to carry materials to the Glenbrook Gorge tunnel site.

Eastern Portal

Glenbrook railway tunnel is now included in the State Heritage Register for its high

naQonal, state and local significance. The tunnel has state historical significance as one

of only four tunnels located in NSW secretly idenQfied and established for storage of

chemical weapons for defence purposes in the event of an aOack on Australian shores

during World War II. The tunnel is a reminder of this secret NSW and Australian

military history not publicly known about unQl the first years of the twenty-first century.


The tunnel has local significance as the only major item of surviving fabric from one of

the three railway ascents of the eastern escarpment and is representaQve of tunnels

constructed on the Main Western Line from the 1890s and into the early twenQeth

century to cater for increasing traffic on the railway line.

It is a fine example of an oviform tunnel on a large scale and an outstanding example

of engineering in brickwork, displaying a substanQal vaulted form of ellipQcal cross

secQon, double curved in plan. The tunnel structure appears to be in very good

condiQon visually and does not seem to have been significantly altered. The most

obvious alteraQons are the apparent replacement of railway tracks and ballast with a

concrete floor and removal of any purpose built faciliQes associated with the mustard

gas storage.

Ader almost 125 years there is not a stone out of place, the beauQfully built

Glenbrook tunnel is now receiving the aOenQon it deserves, featuring in a History

Channel segment of CiQes of the Underworld ‘Alcatraz Down Under’ and remembered

in a plaque at the Glenbrook memorial.

Created by Ireen Lark

2015

Hooray! Your file is uploaded and ready to be published.

Saved successfully!

Ooh no, something went wrong!