46 — Vanguard, MONDAY, FEBRUARY 19, 2018 Trump criticises FBI over Florida shooting *Survivors to march on Washington US President Donald Trump has criticised the FBI for allegedly spending too much time on the Russia investigation instead of preventing the Florida school shooting. Trump said on Twitter that it was “very sad that the FBI missed all the many signals sent out by the Florida school shooter.” “This is not acceptable. They are spending too much time trying to prove Russian collusion with the Trump campaign - there is no collusion,” he said. Trump’s remarks came after the FBI said it received a tip last month that the shooting suspect, 19-year-old Nikolas Cruz, had a “desire to kill” and access to guns, but the FBI agents failed to act on the information. Trump also criticised the Democrats for their failure to pass gun control legislation. “Why didn’t the Democrats pass gun control legislation when they had both the House Senate during the Obama Administration. Because they didn’t want to, and now they just talk!” he said on Twitter, referring to the administration of former US President Barack Obama. Meanwhile, young survivors of Wednesday’s school shooting in Florida have announced a BENJAMIN Netan yahu, Israeli prime minister, has labelled Iran “the greatest threat to the world” in his address to the Munich Security Conference in Germany. Comparing Iran to Nazi Germany, Netanyahu said on Sunday that Iran advocates “master faith” just like Nazi Germany used to advocate “master race”. “The commander of the Revolutionary Guard, [Mohammad] Ali Jafari, said: ‘We are on the path to the rule of Islam worldwide’. I think it is in my judgement the greatest threat to our world,” he national march on Washington to demand political action on gun control. Students organisers told US media that they were determined to make Wednesday’s shooting a turning point in the national gun debate. The attack, which left 17 students and staff members dead, was the said. Listing the countries in which he said Iran was a troublemaker, he said “nowhere is Iran’s belligerent ambitions clearer than in Syria”. “There, Iran hopes to complete a contiguous empire, linking Tehran to Tartus, the Caspian to the Mediterranean,” he said, adding that Israel would “continue to prevent Iran from establishing a permanent presence in Syria”. “Israel will continue to act to prevent Iran from establishing another terror base from which to deadliest US school shooting since 2012. Yesterday protestors chanted “shame on you” to US lawmakers and the president. Mr Trump said last year he would “never” infringe on the right to keep arms - a long-running and contested debate within the US. Iran is greatest threat to the world — Netanyahu threaten Israel,” he said. “We will act without hesitation to defend ourselves. And we will act if necessary not just against Iran’s proxies that are attacking us, but against Iran itself.” Speaking at the conference later on Sunday, Mohammad Javad Zarif, Iranian foreign minister, said “cartoonish” attacks on Iran did not deserve a response. “You were the audience for a cartoonish circus just this morning which does not even deserve the dignity of a response,” he said. ROF leader receives 2017 Africa leadership award All-Africa Students Union,AASU stormed the headquarters of The Reformed Ogboni Fraternity, ROF, in Lagos to present the 2017 Africa Leadership Award to the Supreme Leader of the fraternity, Otunba Francis Meshioye for selfless service to Africa. Speaking during the award presentation, AA- SU’s Vice Present for Central Africa, Comrade Kounedji Hermann said the recipient is a man that sees Africa as an industrious continent. Hermann, who led delegate from north, west, east, south and central Africa, said Meshioye has consistently made valuable contributions to peace and unity in Africa. On his part, Oluwagbemiro said the award was one of the numerous he had received but yet remained the most cherished. He said: “It is to my delight that the youths who the leaders of tomorrow recognised our commitment to human development in Africa. “We will continue to defend and support the black race to achieve its rightful position.’’ IRAN: Dozens feared dead in plane crash Sixty-six people are feared to have been killed in a passenger plane crash in the Zagros mountains in Iran. The Aseman Airlines plane, en route from Tehran to the south-western city of Yasuj, came down near the city of Semirom in Isfahan province. The Red Crescent deployed search and rescue teams to the site. The airline has retracted a statement saying definitively that all aboard were dead. Flight EP3704 left Tehran at 04:30 GMT, and crashed about an hour later. The aircraft, a twin-engine turboprop, came down on Dena Mountain, 22km (14 miles) from Yasuj, news channel Irinn reported. Sixty passengers, two security guards, two flight attendants and the pilot and co-pilot were on board. The airline initially said everyone had been killed, but said later: “Given the special circumstances of the region, we still have no access to the spot of the crash and therefore we cannot accurately and definitely confirm the death of all passengers of this plane.” Bad weather, including fog and heavy snow, has hampered rescue efforts. Emergency teams have had to travel to the crash site by land rather than using a helicopter. Passengers’ relatives have gathered at a mosque near Tehran’s Mehrabad airport, according to Reuters news agency. “I can’t bring myself to believe it,” said one woman whose husband was on board. One man told Tabnak news website that he had missed the flight. Showing an unused ticket as proof, he said: “God has been really kind to me but I am so sad from the bottom of my heart for all those dear ones who lost their lives.” Iran’s President Hassan Rouhani expressed sympathy for all involved, saying, in a statement, that the incident brought “great grief and sorrow”. Iran has suffered several aviation accidents in recent years and has an ageing aircraft fleet. 12 ISIS widows sentenced to death, life by Iraqi court A Turkish woman was sentenced to death and 11 other foreign widows to life in jail by an Iraqi court for their involvement with Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL). The 12 women - 11 Turks and an Azeri, some of whom appeared at the court in Baghdad nursing infants - were convicted on Sunday despite pleas they had been duped or forced by their husbands to join them in Iraq. The women, aged between 20 and 50, were all arrested in Mosul or Tal Afar where their husbands were killed as Iraqi forces recaptured the northern cities from ISIL last year. Only the woman condemned to death, speaking through an interpreter, acknowledged she willingly travelled to Iraq with her husband and their children. “We had to leave Turkey because my husband was a wanted man. I wanted to live in an Islamic state where sharia is the law of the land,” she said. But “I regret having come,” said the 48-year-old Turkish woman whose husband and two sons were killed in air strikes. Zimbabwe mourns Tsvangirai ZIMBABWE’s President has called on all citizens to unite to mourn opposition leader Morgan Tsvangirai, who died of colon cancer last week. A memorial service for Tsvangirai was held in a packed church in the capital Harare, while outside hundreds of supporters of his Movement for Democratic Change (MDC) gathered. He will be buried in his home village of Buhera on Tuesday. President Emerson Mnangagwa visited Tsvangirai’s family to offer condolences ahead of the service. “Let us all be brothers and sisters, and come together and mourn our former prime minister,” he said after his visit. “When we write the history of this country, we cannot leave out the participation and role that the former prime minister played in the effort to entrench democratic values in this country,” Mr Mnangagwa added. The new president, who took over following the military ousting of Mr Mugabe in November, called for “fair, free and credible” elections, which are due to take place this year. Tsvangirai, the fiercest opponent of Zanu-PF rule, had led the opposition MDC since its formation in 1999. He gained the most votes in the first round of the presidential election in 2008, but pulled out of the second round after a sharp increase in violence directed at the opposition. Tsvangirai himself was beaten up and jailed.
Cameroon dumps Nigeria out of Women’s World Cup Nigeria will not feature for the first time in the FIFA U17 Women’s World Cup after it lost on the away goals rule to Cameroon yeaterday in Yaounde. Cameroon was forced to a 1-1 draw by its Nigerian counterparts in the return leg after the first game ended in a 2-2 draw. Nigeria has featured in all five U17 Women’s World Cups since the inaugural edition in 2008. Alice Kameni gave the home team a 16th minute lead, before substitute Martha Vincent drew the Flamingos level eight minutes from time. Groves beats Eubank Jr in brutal, bloody war EORGE GROVES won G an epic blooddrenched war with Chris - Eubank Jr last night to retain his world title. The WBA supermiddleweight grudge fight turned into a brutal slugfest at the Manchester Arena. An accidental clash of heads in the third round left challenger Eubank with blood pouring from a twoinch gash above his right eye and Groves spattered with it. Even ref Michael Alexander’s white shirt was covered with claret as the fighters waded into each other. By the 12th round Groves was fighting with just his right hand after suffering a suspected dislocated left shoulder. And as Eubank went for a late knockout, the ringside TV camera was hit with blood. •Eubank Moses battles Ndidi for Nigerian player of the year award ard •Infantino, Ahmad lead stars to Lagos An array of prominent global figures, including FIFA President Gianni Infantino and CAF President Ahmad, political chieftains, football stars, renowned administrators past and present, captains of industry, legends of the Nigeria game and oaks of the entertainment industry are now confirmed for the inaugural edition of the AITEO/CAF Football Awards holding at the Eko Hotels and Suites, Victoria Island, Lagos today. FIFA and CAF sources confirmed yesterday that Infantino and Ahmad will arrive in Nigeria today and would be live at the event venue alongside Presidents of about 20 Member Associations of FIFA. The highlight is the player of the season men award, being contested for by Victor Moses, Wilfred Ndidi and Anthony Okpotu, while Asisat Oshoala, Charity Reuben and Francisca Ordega will battle for the women’s player of the year award. NFF 1st Vice President and Chairman of the Organizing Committee, Barrister Seyi Akinwunmi said that broadcast partners SuperSport and Africa Independent Television (AIT) will relay the program live as from 7pm. “SuperSport and AIT will broadcast the Awards ceremony live, starting from 7pm, and it will last for exactly 90 minutes – the period of a football match.” Governor Akinwunmi Ambode of Lagos State is expected alongside a number of his cabinet members, with AITEO Vice President/CEO Francis Peters and topshots of the Sponsor company also set to add glamour to the big event. Ronaldo rejects Pogba ristiano Ronaldo Cdoesn’t want Paul Pogba at Real Madrid. Pogba has had public spats with Jose Mourinho, with the United boss benching his star man earlier this month after a fall-out. The Red Devils ace has been linked with a move away from Old Trafford in recent weeks. It was claimed Real Madrid, who missed out on Pogba in 2016 when he joined United, are readying a mammoth £120m bid for the former Juventus midfielder at the end of the season. However, according to Spanish news outlet Diario Gol, Ronaldo has told Real he doesn’t want Pogba at the Bernabeu. They reckon the Portugal talisman has demanded Real don’t table a bid for the France international this summer. Ronaldo also told Real he doesn’t want Kylian Mbappe, Mauro Icardi or Neymar to join the Spanish giants. Reports this week claimed Pogba ‘regrets’ joining United in 2016, when he had the chance to head to Real. Pogba, 24, has started 16 Premier League games under Mourinho this time out, netting three goals and chipping in with nine assists in all competitions. •Ndidi •Ronaldo •Iwobi •Moses Vanguard, MONDAY, FEBRUARY 19, 2018 — 47 Higuain doubtful for Tottenham tie onzalo Higuain G could be a doubt for Juventus’ Champions League last 16 second leg fixture against Tottenham after the Argentine striker limped off in his side’s victory over Torino. Higuain scored both of his side’s goals in the 2-2 first-leg draw on Tuesday but he now may be unable to play at Wembley in the return fixture next month after hobbling off yesterday. The striker failed to make it past the 20 minute mark in the Derby della Mole as he took a blow to his ankle in a challenge with Iwobi: Arsenal can save season by winning Europa League lex Iwobi claimed AArsenal can still salvage their season by winning the Europa League and securing a top-four finish in the Premier League. The Europa League is increasingly looking as though it will provide their best chance of qualifying for next season’s Champions League as the Gunners lie eight points behind fourth-placed Chelsea with 11 games remaining. Asked if the players believed Europa League glory was the most likely route back to the Champions League, the midfielder told Standard Sport: “No, we have to do our best in both competitions. That’s what we are trying to do: get top four and also win this competition. That’s the aim.” Iwobi also warned Arsenal cannot afford any complacency in next Thursday’s second leg, especially with the Carabao Cup Final against Manchester City to come three days’ later. Torino goalkeeper Salvatore Sirigu. Higuain received treatment on the pitch and tried to continue playing but was eventually hooked and replaced by Federico Bernardeschi. •Higuain Uzoho keeps 11th clean sheet in 15 eportivo de La Coruña D goalkeeper Francis Uzoho is set to earn a spot in Nigeria’s World Cup going by his form for Depor Fabril in the Segunda División B - Grupo I. The former Golden Eaglets invitee won plaudits from the fans following his performance on his debut against the Argentinian national team last November, keeping the strikers at bay as Nigeria came from behind to beat the two-time world champions 4-2. Amokachi wants his twins to play for Nigeria Former Super Eagles striker, Daniel Amokachi who declared himself Super Eagles number one fan still has that patriotic zeal running in his veins like in the days he played for Nigeria. The USA ’94, France ’98 and Korea-Japan 2002 World Cup star has said he would want to see his twin sons follow the path he has threaded, by playing for Nigeria, instead of Tunisia, the country of their mother. Amokachi, fondly called Da Bull in his active days said, “Definitely, that would be my dream, their mother’s dream, even their dream because their heart is with Nigeria.” He informed that the boys had turned down the opportunity to be capped by Tunisia, but remains hopeful that call will come up for them to play for Nigeria. “They are doing pretty well in Besiktas, they are with the U23 team, we are trying to see if they can play the professional angle of it because, in Turkey, they leave the foreign slot for professionals. Right now, however, they are working very hard and we hope that soon, they will get the opportunity to play in a place where they can give a good account of themselves,” Amokachi said. Kida declares NOGIG 2018 games open he Deputy Managing T Director,Total Nigeria, Ahmedu Musa Kida yesterday urged participants in the 2018 Nigeria Oil and Gas Industry Games to compete without anger or hate. He enjoined the athletes to demonstrate good sportsmanship and “lose cheerfully,” because tomorrow victory could swing in your favour.” Declaring the games open at the Chevron Recreation Centre, Gbagada yesterday, Kida who is also President of the Nigeria Basketball Federation said “we owe a lot of gratitude to the founding fathers of NOGIG who envisaged a platform to explore other avenues to compete among ourselves outside our occupational endeavours.” He pledged his commitment to NOGIG, saying, “as a sportsman, I want to pledge my support for NOGIG, any time they knock on my door.” He supplied all the trophies and medals being competed for at the games. In a ceremonial table tennis match, Kida defeated Esimaje Brikinn, GM, Public Government and Public Affairs Department, Chevron Nigeria. Kida was decorated with a gold medal. He challenged companies in the Oil and Gas sector to use a fraction of their profits to support sports in the country. “Sports is my first passion and it is a passion I will go down with.” Earlier, Chairman of the Organising Committee Aminu Zaria said the 2018 edition of the games was special because of the improvement in almost all aspects of the biennial competition.