Manila was getting crowded and his military advisors (reportedly) told Quezon that Manila, being by the bay, was an easy target for bombardment by naval guns in case of attack. This made Quezon push forward the idea of a totally new city at least 15 kilometers away from Manila Bay (beyond the reach of naval guns). He contacted William E. Parsons, American architect and planner, who had been the consulting architect for the islands early in the American colonial period.
Quezon proceeded to transform his dream into a reality. The Board of Directors of the Philippine Homesite Corporation, on October 10, 1938, approved a resolution to purchase “a tract of land consisting of 15,723,191 square meters” or 1,572 hectares from the Diliman Estate of the Tuason Family. The price was five centavos per square meter. The Tuason family donated an additional 493 hectares to serve as the site of the University of the Philippines.