Hunting & Trapping



Information For Hunters


IMPORTANT NOTICE: This guide is neither a legal document nor a complete collection of current hunting and trapping

regulations or firearms laws. It is an abbreviated guide issued for the convenience of hunters and trappers. The Wild Life

Act and Regulations should be consulted for interpreting and applying the law. Please contact your nearest Wildlife Division

or Department of Justice and Public Safety office for more information (see back cover for contact information).

Application Deadline (Resident Moose and Caribou)

• Application must be received by the close of business on April 29, 2016.

• Do not include fee with the application.

Application Deadline (Resident Island Black Bear)

• Application and payment must be received by the dates indicated to ensure your licence is available before the hunting

season begins:

April 22, 2016 (spring season)

June 24, 2016 (fall season)

• Applications received after these dates will be accepted but are not guaranteed to be processed before the season


• Do not include moose or caribou applications with your black bear application.

New Applicants for the Big Game Licence Draw

• To be eligible for the 2017 draw, applicants must have completed the Canadian Firearms Safety Course and Hunter Education

Course or transferred hunter certification credentials from another jurisdiction before November 30, 2016. Outdoor

Identification Card applications must be accompanied by proof of completion of a recognized hunter training course.

Licence applications are automatically mailed to qualified resident hunters each year.

Canadian Firearms Safety Course/Hunter Education (CFSC/HE) Course

• Individuals wishing to hunt game with a firearm (including bows) in Newfoundland and Labrador are required to complete

the CFSC/HE Course. The course is offered through College of the North Atlantic. Exemptions apply for those who have

completed other recognized hunter training programs. (See inside back cover.)

Outdoor Identification Card (OIC)/Temporary Outdoor Identification Cards (TOIC)

• An OIC is issued to residents who have completed the FS/HE Course or have previously completed the Hunter Capability

Test or the Canadian Firearms Safety Course (in Newfoundland and Labrador only) before April 1996. The OIC, along with

the appropriate hunting licence, must be in your possession while hunting with firearms. The OIC is proof that a hunter

has met the province’s requirements to hunt game with a firearm.

• A Temporary Outdoor Identification Card (TOIC) is issued to individuals who have just passed the CFSC/HE course or

those individuals who have lost their OIC.

• Individuals who require a replacement OIC can visit the nearest Forestry and Agrifoods Agency (FAA) or Wildlife Division

Office for a TOIC and an application for a replacement OIC. Applications are also available online at

Harvesting of Problem Moose on Farms

• Holders of a valid licence may be authorized to assist farmers in removing problem moose from farms. If you are interested

in taking part, please call a regional FAA office. Licence holders will be contacted in the order their calls are received. You

may be called to a farm to either remove a moose shot by a wildlife officer, or you may be asked to hunt on the farm according

to instructions from the wildlife officer and farmer.

Not-for-Profit Moose Licences

• 370 moose licences are available to registered not-for-profit (NFP) and charitable organizations by application through the

Wildlife Division. Those organizations may utilize qualified resident hunters to secure the meat for charities and service

groups who use it for fundraising purposes and food sharing programs.

• Successful applicants will be automatically added to the FAA Problem Moose on Farms list in their region and will be contacted

directly when a problem moose is identified in their chosen Management Area (possibly before the opening of the

regular big game sesason). The Wildlife Division strongly encourages successful not-for-profit licence holders to make

every effort to avail of this program if contacted to do so.

• Registered not-for-profit and charitable organizations must apply by April 29, 2016 . Applications received after

this date will not be considered.

• Applications are available at or by contacting the Wildlife Division.

• An additional 130 NFP moose licences will be available through Parks Canada in Gros Morne National Park (100) and

Terra Nova National Park (30). Contact Parks Canada for more information, see pages 25 and 26.


Be Safe and Be Seen: Wear Blaze Orange While Hunting!

Similar magazines