Views
5 years ago

The Town Churchard - St James Church – Southam

The Town Churchard - St James Church – Southam

The Town Churchard - St James Church –

THE TOWN CHURCHYARD AT ST JAMES PARISH CHURCH The Town Churchyard at St James is divided into three areas. Since the church was first constructed the oldest area that had been used for burials up to around 1800 is on the south side of the building adjoining Warwick Street and Kirkwall. The next area that was used is known as the Upper Churchyard from behind the Market Hill shops on the north side of the building down to the iron railings running from the War Memorial to Park Lane. Burials in most of this area generally ceased about 100 years ago but the last one or two took place in family graves in the 1950‘s. It now contains a dedicated area for the internment of ashes and in addition an area adjacent to Park Lane was granted permission by the Diocese in September 2004 for reuse for burials but with stringent conditions. The third area is all the remainder to the west from the War Memorial down to the Recreation Ground which started to be used in the late 1800’s and became filled with graves during 2004. However, where space exists, second burials in existing family graves can still take place. Even if two burials have taken place cremated ashes of other family members may still be interred in such graves. Additional inscriptions, subject to the approval of the Priest in Charge, can be added to the front or back of any existing memorial. All people of any denomination who reside within the parish boundaries of Southam have a right, when they die, to be buried or after cremation to have their ashes interred in the Town Churchyard at St James so long as space is still available. -o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o- Items of interest in the churchyard are the Lych Gate built in 1938 and the avenue of red twigged limes trees leading from it down to the north porch of the church. The present trees were planted in 2002 replacing the original ones that were planted to celebrate the victory of Waterloo in 1815. The new trees were given in memory of Louisa Smith, a teenager, who died in a car accident near Marton in 1999. The Bier House with it‘s tile roof, adjacent to Park Lane opposite the telephone exchange (the Bier is no longer stored there) is constructed of concrete blocks that were made at the local cement works and is believed to be the first building in the country made with such blocks. Not far from the War Memorial, down the south side of the path to the recreation

Be Ye Doers of the Word... - St. James's Episcopal Church
Parish Resource Guide - St. James's Episcopal Church
Operator Manuals - St. James Church in Weddington
St James Kneelers Album - Complete 120px - the Nayland and ...
St. James Presbyterian Church September 29, 2013 - Saint James ...
St. James Presbyterian Church May 12, 2013 - Saint James ...
Ordo Kalendar for 2012 - St. James' Anglican Church
Gr. 4 Lesson sched 11-12 - St. James RC Church
St Chad's Church, Woodseats A History 1912 to ... - St Chads Church
December - St James Lutheran Church
St. James Parish ~ Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin
Operator Manuals - St. James Church in Weddington
Fourth Sunday of Advent - St. Edna Catholic Church
St. James Presbyterian Church - Saint James Presbyterian Church
Halloween 2011 - Our Town | St. James, NY
Vacation Bible School --- August 2nd – 6th, 2010 - St. James
4 pages - St. James' and St. Basil's Church, Fenham
St. James Presbyterian Church July 28, 2013 - Saint James ...