Woolston / Heathcote Cemetery Tour - Christchurch City Libraries

christchurchcitylibraries.com

Woolston / Heathcote Cemetery Tour - Christchurch City Libraries

were ‘filled with tubercles’. When the skull was opened the brain was shown to be

very much thickened.

Matilda Elizabeth Fry, 13, died but a month after her mother and was buried on 24

December 1878.

On 12 April 1880 at the manse of St. Andrew’s Presbyterian church, Christchurch, the

Rev. Charles Fraser officiated at the wedding of John Fry, 37, widower, farmer, and

Christina McLaren, 32, spinster.

At Sydenham Cemetery there is the gravestone of Christina Fry who died, at 65, on

29 September 1913. She was the widow of John Fry of Hanmer. Dorothy Jean,

daughter of J. and F. Fry and granddaughter of John and Christina, died, aged five

years, on 18 February 1921.

Elsewhere at Sydenham Dorothy Jean’s parents are buried. Florence Jean Fry, 43,

died on 14 October 1923 and John Douglas Fry, 83, died on 14 August 1966.

Row K

No. 450

Charlesworth

The name ‘Charlsworth’ or ‘Charlesworth’ means ‘the fortified holding of the

churls or farmers’. It originated when the labouring Anglo-Saxons endeavoured to

protect themselves against marauding Vikings.

The son of Mary and William Charlesworth, William Charlesworth was born at

Wistow, Yorkshire, on 3 May 1814. The older William was overseer to Edward

Appleyard who owned the 135 acre farm ‘Garmancarr’ near Wistow. In 1829-30

William junior went to sea, becoming first mate to an Australian, Robert Towns,

captain and owner of The Brothers, and trading throughout the Pacific and Orient.

Charlesworth captained another Towns vessel, the Royal Saxon, which travelled

from Australia to England, India and Russia. Rice from China and sandalwood from

India were included in the cargo, while people who boarded the ship included

European immigrants and Chinese coolies who would work in the goldfields.

In the mid ‘50s Charlesworth arrived at the steam wharf on the Heathcote River. He

bought land and had mortgages over other properties, including the Mitre, Canterbury

and Lyttelton Arms hotels in Lyttelton. He bought and leased land on Canal Reserve

(Linwood Avenue) and thus was named Charlesworth Street. The captain’s main

property, ‘Saxon Farm’, included ‘Saxon Villa’. The property consisted of

… a capital brick built dwelling house on Ferry Road …complete in every

particular. The house is built entirely of English material expressly imported

by Captain Charlesworth. It contains 14 rooms, large dining and drawing

rooms, breakfast room, bathroom, capital kitchen filled with every requisite,

pantry, store room and all other conveniences …. The outbuildings consist of

first class stabling, coal house, fowl house and piggeries and a garden covering

Woolston / Heathcote Cemetery

2006

39

More magazines by this user
Similar magazines