Vanguard Newspaper 03 February 2018
4—SATURDAY Vanguard, MARCH 3, 2018
SATURDAY Vanguard, MARCH 3, 2018 — 5 2019: APC budgets N500m for 20 vehicles * To generate N100m from each APC state *National convention, presidential primaries get N1.3b *Total budget: N14.82b By Omeiza Ajayi AHEAD of 2019 general election, All Progressives Congress, APC, has budgeted N500 million for the purchase of 20 vehicles for members of its National Working Committee, NWC. The party which has a total budget of N14.82 billion for 2018 also set aside N1.3 billion for its national convention and presidential election primaries. In addition, APC is in the process of purchasing its National Secretariat building at the cost of N2.3 billion. The Chief John Oyegunled NWC revealed these in the audited financial report for 2016 and 2017 it presented to the party’s National Caucus. Speaking in that regard, the party’s National Treasurer, Bala Gwagwarwa, said N350 million had been generated for the acquisition of the secretariat. He further said the 20 vehicles for NWC members would be purchased at the cost of N25 million each. Gwagwarwa said: “Looking ahead to 2018 which is an election year, a lot of activities ranging from organization of congresses/ primaries, conventions, sensitisation meetings and campaigns are expected to take place. The budget must inevitably have to be robust, flexible and capable of being implemented. Bearing this in mind, a budget of N14.82 billion is being proposed. “In order to ensure funding stability and budget implementation, membership contribution has been identified as crucial. Accordingly, a framework to deploy electronic payment system that assures convenience, transparency, and ease of reconciliation of payment has been designed. This system allows the use of airtime to pay the monthly N100 membership dues by members while bigger payment can be transacted through the banks. This system has been substantially completed except the negotiation of the revenue sharing formula between the party and the telecom companies whose platform will be used in collecting the payment and regulatory impediments by the Nigerian Communications Commission and Central Bank of Nigeria. “The Minister of Communication has graciously lent his support and it is expected that issues around the regulatory impediments will soon be resolved, which will substantially support the party’s ongoing discussion on revenue sharing formula. Due to the difficulty the party is facing, we have additionally engaged SystemSpec (Remita) as an alternative channel for collection of dues and levies, which we hope will be launched soon. “2017 2019: INEC partners Immigration Service, retrieves 299 PVCs from aliens in 26 States By Omeiza Ajayi IN a bid to further ensure the fidelity of the register of voters to be used for the 2019 general elections, the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, has entered into partnership with the Nigerian Immigration Service NIS to assist with the identification of non- Nigerians who might have gotten their names into the register during the ongoing nationwide Voter Registration exercise. INEC Chairman, Prof. Mahmood Yakubu, accompanied by National Commissioners made the request when he paid a courtesy visit on the Comptroller Genetal of the Nigeria Immigration Service, Muhammad Babandede, in Abuja. Yakubu appreciated the NIS for supporting the Commission in identifying foreigners on the voters register in 26 states of the federation in 2017. He said, “the Service wrote the Commission, forwarding confiscated Voter cards retrieved from aliens who illegally registered before the last general elections under the pretext that they were Nigerians. The total number of such cards retrieved so far is 299 from 26 states of the federation and the FCT”. Speaking further, he President Muhammadu Buhari receiving a gift from the President, Fertilizer Producers & Suppliers Association of Nigeria, Mr. Thomas Etuh and the Chairman, Presidential Initiative on Fertilizer, Alhaji Abubakar Badaru (2 right) flanked by Chief of Staff to the President, Mallam Abba Kyari during the meeting of the Presidential Initiative on Fertilizer at the State House, Abuja. Photo by Abayomi Adeshida said; “as we approach the 2019 general elections, the cleaning up of the voter register is a priority for the Commission. We believe that your service which has already demonstrated willingness to partner with the Commission will be of immense assistance in this respect”. He explained that the law was clear on categories of persons ineligible for registration as voters. “Those below the statutory age of 18 years, aliens, persons registered in absentia, those barred by statute or regulations from registering as voters and those who do not ordinarily reside, work or originate from the areas covered by particular registration exercise are ineligible to register as voters under the law”. He hinted that the Commission would display the register of citizens who recently registered in the ongoing exercise between the 26th and the 30th of March 2018, for registrants to check for corrections at all registration centres nationwide and called on the NIS to deploy its personnel to assist in identifying aliens on the list. “We hope that you will assist us by deploying your men to as many of them as possible to help us identify any aliens who may have registered in the ongoing registration exercise”, he said. In his response, the Comptroller General of the NIS, Muhammad Babandede said the Service was ready to continue to partner with INEC in the discharge of its duties. budget performance was substantially better due to prompt intervention of our state governors and National Assembly members. In addition, he said APC would generate N2.4 billion at the rate of N100 million from each of the 24 states under its control. He further added that the party hopes to generate about N1.05 billion from eminent members of the party in non-APC states. LCCI stakeholders’ set to dialogue on Lagos Land Use Charge law By Naomi Uzor THE Lagos Chamber of Commerce and Industry (LCCI), yesterday said all is set to hold a Dialogue Session on the new Land Use Charge Law in Lagos. In a statement by the Director General of LCCI, Mr. Muda Yusuf, he said the session was aimed at examining the provisions of the recently passed law viza viz its implications for residents and businesses operating in Lagos and its environs. According to him, the event has been scheduled to hold on Friday, March 9, 2018 at Commerce House in Lagos. “In continuance of its Public Policy Advocacy Initiative, it behoves The Lagos Chamber of Commerce and Industry (LCCI) to provide a platform, such as this, to aggregate the views of stakeholders (both public and private) on the new Land Use Charge Law in Lagos, which has generated heated debate in the public space.” ‘Boko Haram told me abducted Dapchi school girls were safe — Aisha Wakil *Says the girls’ll regain freedom soon AS the Nigerian government extended to neighbouring countries, the search for the 110 schoolgirls abducted last week in Dapchi, Yobe State, a human rights activist, Mrs Aisha Wakil, claimed a Boko Haram faction had contacted her to confirm it had the girls. Aisha Wakil, who is also known as Mama Boko Haram, was a member of the Dialogue and Peaceful Resolution of Security Challenges Committee in the northern region, set up during the President Goodluck Jonathan era. In an interview with The News Agency of Nigeria, the activist said the Barnawi faction of Boko Haram contacted her on Thursday. She added that the abductors confirmed to her that the girls were safe, healthy and in good condition. In an interview with PRNigeria earlier this week, Wakil had called on the abductors to release the girls to enable them to be reunited with their families. Wakil, who is said to have communication links with Boko Haram and respected by some leaders of the sect, declared that she was ready to sacrifice her life to rescue the girls. Wakil said: They are even the ones that called me, and said Mama we heard what you have said and told me that they are with the girls and they are going to release them. “I begged of them and said please let this not be another 1,000-plus days of Chibok girls, and they laughed and said no. I asked them where I can come and stay with them (girls) for two days, but they did not say anything. “I can assure Nigerians that so far they are with my son Habib and his friends; Habib is a nice guy, he is very nice boy. He will not harm them, he will not touch them, and he will not kill them. “He is going to listen to us, and so far he indicated interest that he loves peace. And I love them for that and believe what they said on this. “They will definitely give us the girls. All I am begging Nigerians is to calm down, be prayerful, everything will be over in God grace”. The activist had at various times participated and played key role in negotiations between the military authorities and Boko Haram insurgents’ commanders, which facilitated released of numerous abductees from terrorists’ captivity. In a statement today, the Federal Government announced it has stepped up the search for the 110 girls to the neighbouring countries.