Views
3 months ago

03032018 - APC budgets N500m for 20 vehicles

Vanguard Newspaper 03 February 2018

6 — SATURDAY Vanguard,

6 — SATURDAY Vanguard, MARCH 3, 2018 Dapchi Update: We’ve extended search to neighbouring countries — FG •You’ve failed —PDP By Emmanuel Elebeke and Davies Iheamnachor THE Federal Government yesterday said that the search for the missing 110 Dapchi schoolgirls, who were abducted from the Government Girls’ Science and Technical College (GGSTC), Dapchi, Yobe State, had been extended to the neighbouring countries. In a statement issued in Abuja yesterday by the Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, the Federal Government said that the top military and security officials on Thursday travelled to the North-East to add more urgency to the search, which has now been extended beyond the North- East theatre. The officials include the Chief of Defence Staff, Gen. Abayomi Olonisakin; Chief of Naval Staff, Vice Admiral Ibok-Ete Ekwe Ibas; Chief of Army Staff; Lt.-Gen. Tukur Buratai and the Director- General of the Department of State Services, Alhaji Lawal Daura. They joined the Chief of Air Staff, Air Marshal Sadique Abubakar, who had earlier relocated to the North-East, as well as, the National Security Adviser (NSA), Maj.-Gen. Babagana Monguno (Rtd), who has also visited the scene. The Federal Government had earlier released the names and other details of the 110 girls, who were yet to be accounted for, following the attack on the GGSTC, Dapchi, Yobe State, on February 19, 2018. The Panel set up by the Federal Government to unravel the circumstances surrounding the abduction of the girls was inaugurated on Thursday by the NSA and was given two weeks to submit its Report. Meanwhile, the People’s Democratic Party, PDP, has said that the ruling All Progressives Congress, APC, led Federal Government lacked the capacity to manage the nations’ security, adding that the kidnap of the girls was a proof that the dreaded Boko Haram sect has not been defeated as claimed by the Federal government. PDP made the statement in Port Harcourt while receiving over 2000 members of Ikwerre Youth Movement, IYM, loyal to APC, who decamped to PDP through Grassroots Development Initiative, GDI. Speaking at the occasion, the Publicity Secretary of PDP in Rivers State, Mr. Samuel Nwanosike, questioned the identity of those responsible for the kidnap if indeed Boko Haram had been defeated, stressing that the success of the war against insurgents was only in the media. He said: “The abduction of the students in Dapchi shows that the government of President Muhammadu Buhari has failed in the promise they made to Nigerian that they will conquer and completely destroy Boko Haram and any other organization that portends danger to the lives of Nigerians. He, however, accused the FG of insensitivity to the plights of its citizens, adding that hunger and killings have characterized the nation. “The government is insensitive to the plights of the people of the nation. I don’t think the president knows he is the Chief Security Officer of the country. To us, look at what Donald Trump did in the case of Florida shooting, you see the kind of attention he gave to Americans that died, you will see what Nigerians want from our president. We in the PDP have been vindicated,” Nwanosike added. ‘How Kogi, NNPC MoU on biofuel will boost economy’ *Plant to produce 84 million litres annually By Charles Kumolu A FORMER Chairman of Senate Committee on Federal Capital Territory, Senator Smart Adeyemi has said that last Tuesday’s Memorandum of Understanding, MoU, between Kogi State government and Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation, NNPC, on ethanol fuel would make the state a model for economic development. He particularly said that apart from providing jobs for more than two million people, the partnership which would result in the construction of a refinery in the state would make Kogi less dependent on federal allocation. The state government and NNPC signed the MoU in Abuja for the development of a biofuel processing plant that would produce 84 million litres of biofuel annually. Adeyemi in a chat with Vanguard, said more than five local government areas in the state are major producers of cassava needed for the biofuel refinery. His words: “This agreement signifies a new chapter in the socioeconomic history of Kogi State coming less than a month after the maiden edition of the economic summit. It also points to the fact that the state governor, Alhaji Yaya Bello is purpose driven. “The partnership will bring several individual and communal benefits to the confluence state. It will provide jobs for over two million people and also bring infrastructure development to the state which would make Kogi a model for economic development. This again has greatly re-echoed the New Direction Agenda of the government. “I commend the governor for exploring latent but potent sectors aimed at diversifying the state economy and accelerating socio-economic development. Kogi APC Chairman, other exco members expelled T HE Chairman of the Kogi State chapter of the All Progressives Congress ( APC) , Alhaji Hadi Ametuo and other members of his executive have been expelled from the party. The Acting state Chairman of the party, Alhaji Ibrahim Ahovi announced the expulsion of Ametuo and others during a press conference in Lokoja on Friday. Ahovi, who is leading a faction of the party loyal to Gov. Yahaya Bello, said the expulsion was with immediate effect. According to him, the action became necessary following Ametuo’s failure to appeal the decision of the North Central Zonal Executive of the party which had earlier pronounced him guilty of antiparty activities and recommended his expulsion to the national body. He said that Ametuo-led executive failed to appeal the decision within 14 days as stipulated by the constitution of the party, saying that the failure to abide by the provision meant consent. J. U. Oguma foundation hosts Ibori to thanksgiving THE Board of Trustees of the J U Oguma Foundation is set to host His Excellency, Chief James Onanefe Ibori (Odidigboigbo), former Governor of Delta State (1999 - 2007) to a Thanksgiving Service and Grand Reception on the March10, 2018, at the Ovwor Olomu Unity Square, Ughelli South Local Government Area, Delta State. According to the Vice Chairman of the Foundation and the Chairman of the Planning Committee, Elegbete Barr Moses Odibo, this gesture by the Foundation is to express the joy of the Urhobo nation and the Delta Central Political Class, as well as thank God for the safe return of Chief James Onanefe Ibori back to Urhobo land. The event which holds under the Chairmanship of Prof. Andrew Onobrakpeya, shall be graced by the National Chairman of the People’s Democratic Party, Prince Uche Secondus, as Special Guest of Honour, Sen. Dr. Ifeanyi Okowa, the Executive Governor of Delta State, Dr. Emmanuel Uduaghan, ss Guest of Honour, Chief J. U. Oguma, as the Chief Host, among other notable personalities. Ohanaeze Ndigbo mourns Col Achuzia By Emeka Mamah THE death of the former Seceretary-General of the Igbo Socio Cultural Organisation, Ohanaeze Ndigbo, Col. Joe Achuzia has been described as a monumental loss to Ndigbo in particular and Nigeria in general. The|President-General of the Organisation, Chief Nnia Nwodo made the remark while reacting to the death of Col Achuzia, describing him as a very brave and galant soldier, whose contributions cannot be forgotten in a hurry. Chief Nnia Nwodo noted that Col Achuzia was a civil war veteran, pointing out that the history of the ‘Nigeria- Biafran civil war” would be incomplete without mentioning the contributions of Col. Achuzia. Nwodo stated that the exploits of bravery and military discipline exhibited by the late legendary Commander had remained a reference point in the annals of history.

Why we are boycotting Edo LG polls — PDP •CP warns against violence as polls hold today By SIMON EBEGBULEM THE Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, in Edo state has given reasons why it is boycotting elections in the 192 wards and 18 Local Government Areas of the state scheduled to hold today describing it as a sham. Meanwhile, the state commissioner of police, Mr Babatunde Kokumo has warned the youths against violence during the polls saying that policemen have been deployed in different parts of the state to provide security.” The PDP in a statement signed by the state Publicity Secretary, Chris Nehikhare, announcing the boycott of the election, asserted that ¨ PDP is not participating in the sham elections. We did not submit any candidate for any of the positions in any of the wards and local government areas in the state. As a matter of fact, we filed a case in court challenging EDSIEC, EDHA and EDSG on their powers, amongst other breaches, to amend the rules for the conduct of the elections. The case has been adjourned to April 11, 2018 at the last hearing. From the onset, we outlined our grievances regarding the composition of EDSIEC, the unconstitutional amendment to the number of days notice required to be given to political parties before elections are held and questioned the competence of the EDSIEC as the antecedent of its chairman stuck out like a sore thumb. ¨At this point, we expected EDSIEC and/or EDSG to address these issues raised as they were germane, but instead, they preferred to pay lawyers up to N500m to keep the case in court. Our case is strong and justifiable. As a consequence and not wanting to give credibility to a flawed and skewed process, whereby all the winners have been predetermined, election results already written in government house and handed over to the Prof. Orobator led EDSIEC for announcement, we hereby advise all our members, sympathizers as well as the good and hard working people of Edo State to observe March 3rd, 2018 as a day of rest,¨ he stated. But reacting swiftly, the APC through the state Secretary, Lawrence Okah, described the boycott as an acceptance of defeat that ¨ will come to PDP in 2019.¨ According to him, ¨the PDP knows they have no local government to campaign to and the people will not listen to them so they decided to boycott which is unfortunate. Now that they boycotted, I hope they will not come and seek for votes in 2019. We were in this state and we saw how Oshiomhole conducted a free and fair Local Government election but when the PDP was in power, we never conducted any election. ¨They would only sit at Government House and write the results and announce. So they were scared that we were going to behave like them. But we are happy that other parties are there and that is democracy for you.¨ Meanwhile, the police boss in the state, Mr Babatunde Kokumo has warned that ¨anyone found fomenting trouble during and after the election will be dealt with no matter his position in the society. I want to appeal to voters to conduct the exercise freely and go to their houses. My men have been deployed in different parts of the state to provide security.¨ Exclusive Vanguard: Our Tony Ubani captured this Vendor stand on Airport Road, Benin on Tuesday. He sells only Vanguard newspapers because according to him, "It's the only paper that we trust and which sells here." $2.1bn Arms deal: S-Court declines to order Dasuki’s release •says EFCC not responsible for his continued detention By Ikechukwu Nnochiri THE Supreme Court, yesterday, dismissed an appeal by the erstwhile National Security Adviser, NSA, Col. Sambo Dasuki, rtd, to challenge his continued detention by the Federal Government. Dasuki, who served as the NSA under ex- President Goodluck Jonathan, queried the legality of his prolonged detention since November 3, 2015, despite the fact that he was granted bail by three different trial courts. The embattled ex-NSA is being prosecuted before different courts by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC. He is facing three separate charges before the Federal Capital Territory High Court at Maitama and the Federal High Court in Abuja, over his alleged complicity in illegal diversion of about $2.1billion meant for the purchase of arms to combat terrorism in the North-East, as well as, for money laundering and illegal possession of fire arms. He was on December 29, 2015, re-arrested by operatives of the Department of State Service, DSS, immediately after his release from Kuje Prison upon perfecting all his bail conditions. Dissatisfied with his incarceration, which he said had affected his ability to prepare his defence to charges against him, Dasuki, prayed the Supreme Court to order his release, or in the alternative, suspend further hearing in cases against him until FG complies with his bail orders. VANGUARD, SATURDAY, MARCH 3, 2018 — 7 ‘Dress indecently, get expulsion,’ Katsina varsity warns students By Bashir Bello THE Vice-Chancellor, Al-Qalam University, Katsina, Prof. Shehu G. Ado has warned new students of the institution against indecent dressing or face expulsion. Other misconducts which he warned against were examination malpractice, drug abuse, sexual harassment and gross misconduct. Ado gave the warning at the matriculation of the 2017/ 2018 academic session of the institution. The Vice-Chancellor who was represented by his Deputy, Dr. Muhammad Muslim Ibrahim also reminded the 2,000 new intakes that as the first Islamic University in Nigeria, the university authority would continue to lay emphasis on the religious and moral uprightness of all its students. Ado congratulated them for securing admission into the university and asked them to utilise the opportunity to graduate in flying colours. He said: “Let me make it very clear to you that ours is a university with a difference, you should therefore always remember Allah and obey His orders”. Ogun-Osun River Basin targets N1b IGR By Daud Olatunji, Abeokuta THE Chairman, Board of Directors, Ogun- Oshun River Basin Development Authority, Abeokuta, Sola Lawal has said that the agency was poised to generate N1b annually as an Internally Generated Revenue (IGR) and make it run independently. The new Chairman who assumed office with other members of the board of directors, said the agency would be repositioned to make it a viable and self-sustaining federal government agency. He made this known on Thursday shortly after an inaugural meeting of the board and inspection of some of the OORBDA’s facilities in Alabata, Abeokuta, Ogun State. The Board Chairman said given the OORBDA’s poultry and piggery farms, crops production, safe drinking water production, dams production and irrigation services, it should be able to leverage on those potentials to meet the revenue target. 2019: Deltans will re-elect Gov Okowa for second term, says Egone A chieftain of Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, in Ughelli North Local Government Area and former President General of Ughelli Descendant Union, UDU, Chief Patrick Egone, has expressed optimism that the people of Delta State will give Governor Ifeanyi Okowa a second mandate in 2019. This is to enable him to consolidate and complete the good works he had started across the state. Egone, also a member of Delta State Advisory and Peace Building Council, in a statement at Ughelli, congratulated Governor Okowa for bagging the, “ Man of The Year 2017” award by the Independent Newspaper. The PDP chieftain, however, supported Governor Okowa’s submission that government at all levels should begin to pay more attention to the youths and consistently make efforts to get them empowered. NDDC sacks contractors, engages another on sluggish permanent headquarters project By Egufe Yafugborhi ANOTHER contractor has been engaged to handle the Permanent Headquarters of the Niger Delta Development Corporation, NNDC in Port Harcourt, River State . The new contractor, Messrs Rodnab Construction Limited, has 52 weeks within which to complete the project, which has also received the blessing of the Federal Executive Council, FEC. Managing Director of the Commission, Nsima Ekere, said the engagement of Messrs Rodnab Construction Limited, the new contractor was the result of a new machinery in motion to ensure that the 13-floor headquarters structure was completed on schedule. According to Ekere, a committee headed by NDDC Executive Director, Projects, Samuel Adjogbe, to work out modalities for the speedy completion of the project had to disengage Marshland Projects Limited and other contractors in June 2017.