Views
6 months ago

Selwyn Times: May 10, 2016

Selwyn Times: May 10,

FREE TUESday May 10 2016 379 7100 Selwyn Times Proudly locally owned and published by Star Media Award winning publishing group Kea (Nestor Notabilis) Call in today for a full supply of fresh fruit and vegetables. OPEN 7 DAYS Phone 349 5952 Cnr Springs Rd & Marshs Rd, Prebbleton (next to Milanese Restaurant) Ladbrooks, Tai Tapu, Leeston, Lincoln, Southbridge, Prebbleton, Halswell, Rolleston, Templeton, Burnham, West Melton, Darfield, Arthurs Pass Teen US-bound for prestigious golf champs CAITLIN MILES A Darfield teenager will be teeing off with the big leagues in a golf championship in the United States. The nerves are yet to hit Dominic Brettkelly, 16, as he ramps up training for the IMG Junior World Golf Championships in San Diego in July. He has been accepted for a place in the 15-17 year boys’ section of the competition which involves 1200 participants from 56 countries competing on Torrey Pines South Course, which has previously hosted the US Open and PGA tour. Dominic’s grandfather gave him his first golf club when he was 18-months-old and he joined the Hororata Golf Club when he was six and started training at 12. This is the first time Dominic will compete in the championships and he is excited to stand on the same course some of the greats have. “Mum told me as soon as I woke up and it just made my day. It’s going to be a surreal experience, I’ve never played in America so it’ll be a really great opportunity,” he said. • Turn to page 15 INSIDE: SKILL: Dominic Brettkelly is looking forward to playing on Torrey Pines South Course in the United States. Fire ban imposed again FRASER WALKER-PEARCE Unseasonable dry weather has forced the return of a total fire ban in the Selwyn District. Yesterday the district council implemented the fire ban, because of low rainfall in the area. The previous fire ban was lifted on April 4 after being reduced in January. Darfield chief fire officer Alan Kittelty said it was the closest to winter he could remember a ban being implemented. No outdoor fires can be lit in the district, and the burning of crop stubble is also not allowed. Gas barbecues with water nearby are allowed, but not charcoal barbecues. All fire permits previously issued by the district council are also cancelled. Selwyn’s principal rural fire officer Douglas Marshall said vegetation had become dry, and meant fires could “quickly get out of control.” Mr Kittelty said the fire ban was put in place out of “necessity”. “It is pretty late in the piece to be in this situation, but it’s been pretty dry, we haven’t had a bit of rain for a while,” he said. Mr Marshall said the district council would review the ban regularly, and will lift restrictions “as soon as it becomes safe”. Mr Kittelty said if anyone sees a fire burning out of control, they should “get in touch with us as soon as possible.” A fee of $1150 can be charged for a fire call out if a fire has been lit which breaches fire restrictions. The fee is given back to local volunteer fire forces. • Skate park upgrades ramp up, p5 • Lake Forsyth progress, p12