19.03.2014 Views

University of Kent Department of Psychology Research Committee ...

University of Kent Department of Psychology Research Committee ...

University of Kent Department of Psychology Research Committee ...

SHOW MORE
SHOW LESS

You also want an ePaper? Increase the reach of your titles

YUMPU automatically turns print PDFs into web optimized ePapers that Google loves.

<strong>University</strong> <strong>of</strong> <strong>Kent</strong><br />

<strong>Department</strong> <strong>of</strong> <strong>Psychology</strong><br />

<strong>Research</strong> <strong>Committee</strong><br />

Friday 23 rd May 2008<br />

12:00pm in KS9<br />

Minutes<br />

Present:<br />

Jacqueline Aldridge, Theresa Gannon, Roger Giner-Sorolla,<br />

Gary Samson, S<strong>of</strong>ia Stathi, Mark van Vugt (Chair) Ulrich Weger<br />

Jo Dunn (Minutes)<br />

1. Apologies<br />

Lynne Curran, James Cane, Diane Houston, Adam Rutland<br />

2. Minutes <strong>of</strong> previous meeting held on 20 th March 2008<br />

Agreed as a true record.<br />

3. Matters arising<br />

• <strong>Kent</strong> Academic Repository<br />

CRB and CAS have been tasked to transfer <strong>Department</strong>al records <strong>of</strong> staff publications to<br />

KAR and the process is underway. It is hoped to have the transfer completed by the<br />

end <strong>of</strong> June, by which time, all research outputs since 1965 will be centralised.<br />

Further instructions will be sent to staff on how to amend and input new entries on the<br />

system. Individuals will be responsible for maintaining their entries and keeping them<br />

up to date. There is a typical web form that guides people through 6 stages for<br />

depositing in the repository and the <strong>University</strong> will heavily rely on this as a resource for<br />

annual auditing, etc. The onus will be on the <strong>Department</strong> and academics to keep the<br />

data base up to date.<br />

Working papers and those in press can also be entered but not grants. Conference<br />

papers and presentations are not required.<br />

• Lab space for FYP students<br />

MvV spoke to DTW about this and has received an email from which will be forward to<br />

JAD for the record. A query has arisen over whether not the ethics deadline has been<br />

removed for FYP students. It was agreed that the on-line system negates the need for a<br />

centralised deadline.<br />

1


Students should be encouraged to collect their data before Christmas. It was debated<br />

whether or not it was feasible to collect data and submit ethics before submitting the<br />

proposal. The proposal could form part <strong>of</strong> the ethics submission.<br />

SP304 students are looking to complete their RPS requirement in the A-term and<br />

supervisors should encourage their students to start collecting data before Christmas.<br />

If students want to book lab space they have to make a case for the space used and GBS<br />

was asked to check whether or not this was already on the booking form. This should<br />

also be part <strong>of</strong> the ethics submission, as should any equipment required.<br />

References to ethics deadlines in all publications and on the web should be removed.<br />

ACTION: Web authors to remove all references to ethics deadlines on the web and in<br />

departmental publications.<br />

• RPS attendance<br />

<strong>Psychology</strong> students appear to be just as bad as non-psychology students at not showing<br />

up to participate in studies and this issue has been sent to the WP on student attendance<br />

to discuss. <strong>Research</strong>ers would like something to be done about this for the next AY.<br />

Penalties have been increased but cannot be enforced. Penalties can be applied<br />

automatically by the RPS system if it is set to do so, but this could be a problem is the<br />

student has a genuine emergency that prevents them for turning up. The system could<br />

be set to default to a penalty if as the norm with the onus on the experimenter to amend<br />

should the student show up. All researchers should be made aware <strong>of</strong> this and the<br />

options they have for recording no-shows. They should also be reminded <strong>of</strong> the type <strong>of</strong><br />

culture the <strong>Department</strong> is trying to nurture, i.e. reward rather than punishment.<br />

ACTION: RPS attendance issues to be discussed at the Attendance WP and any<br />

solutions to be reported back to the next <strong>Research</strong> <strong>Committee</strong>.<br />

ACTION: GBS to notify all researchers <strong>of</strong> the options at their disposal in the event <strong>of</strong><br />

a no-show participant.<br />

4. ACTION POINTS:<br />

ACTION WHO BY WHEN<br />

MvV to discuss FYP with<br />

DTW.<br />

MvV Next <strong>Research</strong> <strong>Committee</strong> – 23rd May 08<br />

Done<br />

GBS to supply the URL <strong>of</strong> GBS Next <strong>Research</strong> <strong>Committee</strong> – 23rd May 08 –<br />

the <strong>Kent</strong> Academic<br />

Done – further developments since – see<br />

Repository to staff and to<br />

matters arising<br />

investigate the inclusion <strong>of</strong><br />

grant application<br />

information.<br />

MvV to investigate the<br />

possibility <strong>of</strong> holding a<br />

hard copy <strong>of</strong> the RAE<br />

submission for people to<br />

MvV<br />

Next <strong>Research</strong> <strong>Committee</strong> - 23rd May 08 Done<br />

– a hard copy can be viewed in the<br />

<strong>Department</strong>al Administrator’s <strong>of</strong>fice<br />

2


inspect.<br />

UW to liaise with DA on<br />

the <strong>Research</strong><br />

Apprenticeship scheme.<br />

MvV to find out how other<br />

universities and other<br />

departments at <strong>Kent</strong> deal<br />

with the issue <strong>of</strong> RPS<br />

credits for postdoctoral<br />

staff and report this issue<br />

to the next <strong>Department</strong>al<br />

Meeting.<br />

GBS to email results <strong>of</strong> RPS<br />

attendance analysis to<br />

researchers, MvV and RS<br />

GBS to put checklist on<br />

web and pass the URL to<br />

MvV for circulation.<br />

GBS to email all students<br />

and staff with the clause<br />

concerning all-day lab<br />

bookings.<br />

JAD to prepare more<br />

SILENCE notices for the 1 st<br />

and 2 nd floor labs.<br />

MvV to speak to GTV<br />

about revisions to the<br />

ethics procedure.<br />

UW Next <strong>Research</strong> <strong>Committee</strong> In place from next<br />

year onward. Will be on <strong>Department</strong>al website<br />

MvV Next <strong>Department</strong>al Meeting – 15 th May 08<br />

Dept meeting decided not to go down this<br />

road. If the postdoc is working for someone<br />

else, that person will have to sign <strong>of</strong>f the study.<br />

Supervisors should be reminded that postdocs<br />

have a statutory 6 hours for their own studies.<br />

This item is now closed.<br />

GBS Next <strong>Research</strong> <strong>Committee</strong> – 23rd May 08 –<br />

Done and circulated to committee<br />

GBS<br />

GBS<br />

JAD<br />

Next <strong>Research</strong> <strong>Committee</strong> – 23rd May 08 Done<br />

Next <strong>Research</strong> <strong>Committee</strong> – 23rd May 08 Done<br />

Next <strong>Research</strong> <strong>Committee</strong> – 23rd May 08 Done<br />

MvV Next <strong>Research</strong> <strong>Committee</strong> – 23rd May 08<br />

MvV emailed GTV about this- it will be pursued<br />

once GTV returns from paternity leave.<br />

5. Chair’s communications<br />

None<br />

6. Casual <strong>Research</strong> Assistance<br />

JA spoke to her tabled paper which comprises a list <strong>of</strong> different tasks that could<br />

be undertaken by a RA together with the grade the tasks attract. This is designed<br />

to help with deciding which rate <strong>of</strong> pay is most suitable for casual research<br />

assistance. JA was asked to send an electronic version <strong>of</strong> this to be circulated<br />

with the minutes <strong>of</strong> this meeting and to be put on the web. The list has been<br />

endorsed by the <strong>Research</strong> <strong>Committee</strong> and the check list will become a research<br />

tool for the <strong>Research</strong> Office as part <strong>of</strong> the Irregular Worker contract that is signed<br />

by the casual employee.<br />

ACTION: JA to send JAD an electronic version <strong>of</strong> her casual RA task list.<br />

The <strong>Research</strong> Office can help with deciding how to grade an individual and<br />

people can be paid by a mixture <strong>of</strong> tariffs. JA would welcome advice as to<br />

3


whether or not these tasks are the typical tasks for a <strong>Psychology</strong> RA. If anyone<br />

has any suggestions they should send these directly to JA (j.aldridge@kent.ac.uk).<br />

R.G-S will go through this with JA.<br />

ACTION: Staff to email suggestions to JA regarding tasks on the casual RA task<br />

list.<br />

ACTION: R.G-S to go through the list with JA<br />

7. <strong>Research</strong> support for junior staff<br />

MvV reported on this issue. The <strong>Department</strong> should move towards a more<br />

structured system <strong>of</strong> giving research support to junior members <strong>of</strong> staff. They<br />

should be made aware <strong>of</strong> the facilities <strong>of</strong>fered, their teaching load, PhD<br />

supervisions. It should be explained that the best research students are allocated<br />

studentships.<br />

UW reported that start-up funds are normally an issue <strong>of</strong> negotiation when a new<br />

member <strong>of</strong> staff commences employment with the <strong>Department</strong>. He also stated<br />

that new members <strong>of</strong> staff are mentored by someone from UELT while they<br />

undergo their PGCHE training. He though that there may be opportunities for<br />

co-supervision using one <strong>of</strong> the funded studentships.<br />

Junior staff could be paired up with a more senior member <strong>of</strong> staff. Officially,<br />

every new member <strong>of</strong> staff is provided with a mentor and this arrangement could<br />

be enforced so that new staff members know who to approach for help with e.g.<br />

research grant applications. It was acknowledged that this could back-fire as staff<br />

may feel obliged to report back on a regular basis, but they should be<br />

encouraged to see advice from the most appropriate person.<br />

New members <strong>of</strong> staff should be given clear guidelines on what is expected <strong>of</strong><br />

them and what they need to achieve. This could be done by working within the<br />

existing appaiser/appraisee framework. The whole issue needs to be discussed<br />

at a Pr<strong>of</strong>essorial meeting as it is an important issue and senior staff members<br />

should be helping more junior members <strong>of</strong> staff. Discussions will continue and<br />

any suggestions should be passed to MvV<br />

ACTION: Suggestions on staff mentoring to be passed to MvV for discussionat<br />

the next pr<strong>of</strong>essorial meeting<br />

8. AOB<br />

None<br />

ACTION POINTS:<br />

ACTION WHO BY WHEN<br />

Web authors to remove<br />

all references to ethics<br />

deadlines on the web and<br />

in departmental<br />

web<br />

authors<br />

By the beginning <strong>of</strong> next AY<br />

4


publications.<br />

RPS attendance issues to<br />

be discussed at the<br />

Attendance WP and any<br />

solutions to be reported<br />

back to the next <strong>Research</strong><br />

<strong>Committee</strong>.<br />

GBS to notify all<br />

researchers <strong>of</strong> the options<br />

at their disposal in the<br />

event <strong>of</strong> a no-show RPS<br />

participant.<br />

JA to send JAD an<br />

electronic version <strong>of</strong> her<br />

casual RA task list.<br />

Staff to email suggestions<br />

to JA regarding tasks on<br />

the casual RA task list.<br />

R.G-S to go through the<br />

list <strong>of</strong> casual RA tasks<br />

with JA<br />

Suggestions on staff<br />

mentoring to be passed to<br />

MvV for discussion at the<br />

next pr<strong>of</strong>essorial meeting<br />

Attendance<br />

Working<br />

Party<br />

GBS<br />

JA<br />

all<br />

academic<br />

staff<br />

R.G-S<br />

all<br />

academic<br />

staff<br />

Next <strong>Research</strong> <strong>Committee</strong><br />

asap<br />

asap<br />

asap<br />

asap<br />

asap<br />

JAD, July 2008<br />

5

Hooray! Your file is uploaded and ready to be published.

Saved successfully!

Ooh no, something went wrong!