4 months ago

Destination Nevada County

Premium visitors magazine for Nevada County produced by the Grass Valley Chamber of Commerce

Conducting Business in

Conducting Business in Nevada County By Machen MacDonald Congratulations! You have decided to start a business in beautiful Nevada County. It’s not enough to just have a great idea, product or service to offer your customers and clients. Your business must be compliant with the business laws of the city, county, and state within which you operate and serve. As a business coach having started five successful companies and working with hundreds of others, I understand how there is so much to juggle, balance, and keep track of in launching and sustaining a successful business. It certainly is not for the faint of heart and yet, it can be so rewarding. Nevada County is a wonderful community and economic environment to initiate and grow a business. Don’t starve at the barbeque. Tap into the many business building resources that are offered by the county, cities, and local business and service providers. Together we have each other’s backs. In this article you will find relevant instruction and helpful contact information and links to get your business established here in Nevada County. Business Licenses and Permits, along with Fictitious Name Statements, Seller’s Permits, Sales and Tax Permits, Environmental Health Permits as well as Planning and Zoning will be addressed. The information below covers the most typical types of businesses that would be operated both in commercial and residential zoning areas in Nevada County. Here’s what you need to have in place to do business in Nevada County: 4 Business Licenses and Permits An excellent resource where you can simply plug in your location and the type of business you are operating and get current and accurate guidance on which licenses you will need is It will also provide you with contact information for the various agencies that administer and issue the permits you need. Nevada County does not require a business license. However, if you are operating within the city limits of either Grass Valley or Nevada City you will need a business license. Unincorporated areas don’t need a license. Truckee does not require a license. However, a Home Occupation Permit is required in some instances for businesses that are operated out of a home. Check with the city and/or county planning departments for the nitty-gritty 1435/Home-Businesses Here is current contact information to learn more and download license and permit applications: • Nevada County 530-265-1218 ■ 184 DESTINATION Nevada County ■ Businesses • Grass Valley 530-274-4310 ■ • Nevada City 530-265-2496 ■ 20744&catid=567 • Truckee – 530-582-7700 ■ 4 Fictitious Name Statements If you operate a business under any name other than your own, you need to file a fictitious business name statement. This is done through the County Recorder’s Office. • Nevada County 530-265-1221 ■ Fictitious-Business-Name-Statem 4 Seller’s Permit / Sales and Tax Permit All businesses involved in the sale or lease of tangible personal property must secure a seller’s permit, resale license or wholesale license by registering with the California Department of Tax and Fee Administration.

• California Department of Tax and Fee Administration ■ htm 4 Environmental Health Permit Annual Certificates of Operation (C of O) are required for businesses that perform: • Dispense food to the public • Pump septage • Operate community water systems with less than 199 connections • Centralized sewage systems • Underground storage tanks • Public pools or beaches • Store, generate or recycle hazardous materials These permits are issued by the Nevada County Environmental Health Department 530-265-1222 4 Planning and Zoning or call 530-265-1218. 4 Additional business development resources Membership with a local chamber of commerce provides endless networking opportunities. Marketing and promotion is often included with membership as well as business coaching to help you accelerate your success. Remember to keep it local. Below are other resources through which you can locate support and guidance: Greater Grass Valley Chamber of Commerce 128 E. Main Street, Grass Valley, CA 95945 530-273-4667 Nevada City Chamber of Commerce 132 Main Street, Nevada City, CA 95959 530-265-2692 Truckee Chamber of Commerce 10065 Donner Pass Road, Truckee, CA 96161 530-587-9999 Rough & Ready Chamber of Commerce P.O. Box 801, Rough & Ready, CA 95975 (530) 797-6729 Penn Valley Chamber of Commerce 17422 Penn Valley Dr, Penn Valley, CA 95946 530-432-1802 South Nevada County Chamber of Commerce 10063 Combie Rd, Auburn, CA 95602 530-268-7622 Grass Valley Downtown Association 125 Neal Street, Grass Valley, CA 95945 530-272-8315 Nevada County Economic Resource Council 104 New Mohawk Road, Nevada City, CA 95959 530-274-8455 DESTINATION Nevada County 185