He Oranga Hapori: A model for raising Maori ... - Te Puni Kokiri

tpk.govt.nz
  • No tags were found...

He Oranga Hapori: A model for raising Maori ... - Te Puni Kokiri

• In 1951 there were just 134 000 Mäori who made up 6.9% of the national population.• In 2006 there were 565 300 or 14.6% - that’s one in seven New Zealanders.• Stats NZ is now predicting that in 2026 Mäori will make up some 17% of the population ataround 818 000.In 2006, the median age of Mäori men was 21 compared to 35 for other males whilst the medianage for Mäori women was 24 compared to 36 for other females.Mäori are younger and having more children. By 2050 there will be more Mäori and Pasifikastudents in schools than all other ethnic groups combined.Students• In 2008 there were 165,425 Mäori students who made up 22% of the national studentpopulation.• In the same year, there were 71,322 Pasifika students – 9.5% of all students.• Combined that’s 31.5% of the total student population.D. Mäori EnterpriseMäori Enterprise is a term that encompasses all commercial activities of Mäori. The MäoriFortune 50 (Net Assets) List, 55 which identifies the 50 largest collectively owned Mäoriorganisations or organisations operated for the benefit of Mäori, shows that the top 10organisations each has greater than $100m in net assets. The total asset base for MäoriEnterprise was reported by Te Puni Kökiri to be $16.5 billion in 2005/2006, an increase of $7.5billion or 83% since 2001. 56In 2005/2006:• 52% of Mäori commercial assets were estimated to be invested in primary industries(agriculture, forestry and fishing; and mining).• 8% in secondary industries (manufacturing, electricity gas and water; and construction).• 40% in the tertiary industries (wholesale and retail trade; accommodation; cafes andrestaurants; transport; storage and communication; finance and insurance; property andbusiness services; education; health and community services; cultural and recreationalservices; and, personal and other services). 57Appendix 2: Statements of Māori wellbeing and associatedKaupapa tuku iho55 Hui Taumata Taskforce, (2006) MäoriEconomic Data and Benchmarking p6656 Te Puni Kökiri, (2008) Te Pütake Rawa aNgä Mäori – The Mäori Asset Base p557 These figures do not include any capitalgrowth recorded by those Iwi who havereceived Iwi Treaty settlements.Kaitiakitanga – acting so as to preserve and maintain taonga; ensuring safety in all activities.1. Our natural resources are healthy and sustainable.2. Mäori hold into Rangatiratanga over taonga tuku iho.3. All marae have developed and implemented succession plans in governance, managementand operations.Rangatiratanga – exhibiting leadership by example; the ability to bind people together;following through on commitments.4. Whänau and hapü are knowledgeable and self sufficient.5. Iwi investments provide employment and enrichment for members.40

More magazines by this user
Similar magazines