Discussion

Discussion

Discussion

SHOW MORE
SHOW LESS

You also want an ePaper? Increase the reach of your titles

YUMPU automatically turns print PDFs into web optimized ePapers that Google loves.

The ADM must also be in revertive mode. You can also manually switch the circuit<br />

back to being the working circuit:<br />

[edit interfaces so-3/1/0 sonet-options]<br />

aviva@t320# set aps request working<br />

See Also<br />

GR-253-CORE, SONET Transport Systems: Common Generic Criteria<br />

7.22 Configuring an ATM Interface<br />

Problem<br />

You need to get the ATM interface in your router up and running.<br />

Solution<br />

Set up the ATM interface with one virtual path identifier (VPI) and one virtual circuit<br />

identifier (VCI):<br />

[edit interfaces at-1/0/0]<br />

aviva@M10i# set atm-options pic-type atm2<br />

aviva@M10i# set atm-options vpi 0<br />

aviva@M10i# set unit 0 vci 0.32<br />

aviva@M10i# set unit 0 family inet address 136.1.1.1/24<br />

<strong>Discussion</strong><br />

ATM connections are set up over virtual paths and virtual circuits. The virtual path,<br />

represented by a VPI, establishes a route between two devices in a network. Each VPI<br />

can contain multiple virtual circuits, each with a VCI. There can be a maximum of<br />

4,090 VCIs, starting at number 32. (Numbers 0 through 31 are reserved.) The VPI<br />

can range from 0 through 255. VPIs and VCIs are local to the router, so only the two<br />

devices connected by them need know the details of the connection.<br />

This recipe sets up a basic ATM interface for a one-port ATM2 OC-12 PIC that is in<br />

slot 1. The ATM interface has a VPI of 0 and a VCI of 32. You configure the virtual<br />

circuit on the logical interface because, as the name implies, it’s a virtual, not a physical,<br />

interface. It is also important to include the set atm-options command to explicitly<br />

configure the PIC as an ATM2 PIC type, not an ATM1. Some statements for<br />

configuring ATM PICs work either with the ATM1 PIC or the ATM2 PIC, but not<br />

both. If you do not use the set atm-options command, and if you use an ATM1-only<br />

statement with an ATM2 interface, the JUNOS software assumes that the PIC is an<br />

ATM1 and configures it accordingly, but the interface will not operate as you expect<br />

it to. The same thing happens if you use ATM2-only statements with an ATM1 interface.<br />

In either case, the JUNOS CLI provides no warning or commit error. If, however,<br />

you use the set atm-options command and include statements for the other<br />

238 | Chapter 7: Router Interfaces<br />

This is the Title of the Book, eMatter Edition<br />

Copyright © 2008 O’Reilly & Associates, Inc. All rights reserved.

Hooray! Your file is uploaded and ready to be published.

Saved successfully!

Ooh no, something went wrong!