Discussion

Discussion

Discussion

SHOW MORE
SHOW LESS

Create successful ePaper yourself

Turn your PDF publications into a flip-book with our unique Google optimized e-Paper software.

The AS path line lists all AS paths from the AS_PATH attribute, which shows the<br />

ASs through which the announcement for the prefix has traveled. The first AS in the<br />

path is the most recent AS, and the last AS is the originating AS. All routes in this<br />

output have come directly from the peer AS, so there is just one AS number in the<br />

path, AS 65500.<br />

Following the path is the information from the BGP ORIGIN attribute, which indicates<br />

how BGP learned the prefix. The I here means that the prefix was learned from<br />

an IGP. Routes learned from an EGP peer would have an E, and those learned some<br />

other way would show as INCOMPLETE. The final line for each BGP route entry shows<br />

the next hop toward the destination and the interface the router will use to reach<br />

that next hop. Of the three BGP routes, the one to 192.168.16.1/32 is active and is<br />

marked with an asterisk.<br />

Checking the BGP connection status on the peer, you now see the BGP routes:<br />

aviva@RouterD> show bgp summary<br />

Groups: 1 Peers: 1 Down peers: 0<br />

Table Tot Paths Act Paths Suppressed History Damp State Pending<br />

inet.0 4 1 0 0 0 0<br />

Peer AS InPkt OutPkt OutQ Flaps Last Up/Dwn State|#A<br />

ctive/Received/Damped...<br />

10.0.31.2 65500 721 718 0 0 5:57:50 1/4/0<br />

0/0/0<br />

The Table section of the output shows that the inet.0 routing table has four BGP<br />

routes, which matches what we saw in the routing-table entries above. In the Peer<br />

section, the State column indicates that four BGP routes have been received from<br />

peer 10.0.31.2 and that one is active. Again, this corresponds with the routing-table<br />

entries.<br />

Another way to find out about BGP routes is to look at what the routing table has<br />

received from BGP:<br />

aviva@RouterD> show route receive-protocol bgp 10.0.31.2<br />

inet.0: 11 destinations, 15 routes (11 active, 0 holddown, 0 hidden)<br />

Prefix Nexthop MED Lclpref AS path<br />

0.0.0.0/0 10.0.31.2 65500 I<br />

10.0.31.0/24 10.0.31.2 65500 I<br />

172.19.121.0/24 10.0.31.2 65500 I<br />

* 192.168.16.1/32 10.0.31.2 65500 I<br />

Again, you see the four routes learned from BGP but in a format that is much easier<br />

to scan. For each route, you also see the value of four BGP attributes: NEXT_HOP,<br />

MED, LOCAL_PREF, and AS_PATH. The active route is marked with an asterisk.<br />

Use the following command to see which routes the router has advertised:<br />

aviva@RouterF> show route advertising-protocol bgp 10.0.31.1<br />

inet.0: 6 destinations, 6 routes (6 active, 0 holddown, 0 hidden)<br />

Prefix Nexthop MED Lclpref AS path<br />

* 0.0.0.0/0 Self I<br />

430 | Chapter 13: BGP<br />

This is the Title of the Book, eMatter Edition<br />

Copyright © 2008 O’Reilly & Associates, Inc. All rights reserved.

Hooray! Your file is uploaded and ready to be published.

Saved successfully!

Ooh no, something went wrong!